Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Ya I can't help but think it's a tenuous connection

The killer was one of the few who had the knowledge and then also happened to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,270 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It does require some explanation though... it was not immediately beside where the body was found. It was night time albeit seemed to have been around full moon. It just seems a very random thing to do to go there to look for a weapon \ something to attack with if you didn't know the blocks were loose.

I'm assuming it was not typical for the blocks to be loose on such a structure.

So to me that suggests someone with prior familiarity with the structure, or perhaps they had recently used the pumphouse to conceal themselves while they observed \ spied.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There was lots of blocks and rocks around nearby.

Why walk 20 feet uphill to check the pumphouse for loose blocks?

If he already knew the blocks were loose, how did he know?

Maybe he was stealing the electric pump when Sophie confronted him.

Maybe he thought it was a toolshed and was looking for some type of tool or implement.

Maybe he had prior knowledge of the pumphouse from working on it or the house.

Maybe he just did it in a panic, wasn't really thinking clearly.

This is important question also.

It's a fair walk from the murder scene to the back door. Is it 60m or something depending on the route?

What would be so important?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 irishspiderplant

edit: sorry this is in reply to the suggestion that the murderer had something important to retrieve up at Sophie’s house, which was a bit of a walk from the murder site. The person would be wanting to get away as quickly as possible.

The bottle of French wine that was found in a ditch nearby?

Theres a good chance that Sophie was killed in the early morning (breakfast food in her stomach, lights off, nightclothes but boots on, the speeding does fiesta seen nearby that morning.) could the bottle of wine have been a lure? Leave it sitting on the ground or on Sophie’s car, when Sophie catches sight and puts her boots on to go investigate she is attacked and then chased.

• Advertisement

Well Maloney from the Indo had a theory

Bailey reached inside the door and picked up the wine bottle

Sophie then hit him in the hand with the axe

Dunno where he got that theory from

I still think she was killed at night between 12 and 2 am. 3 neighbours reported their dogs barking mad at this time.

The morning theory is still valid though so shouldn't be completely discounted.

I think the reason the lights were off was that she fled the house in a hurry due to an intruder.

She was wearing no socks under her boots, so I think she threw them on in a hurry.

I think the killer went back cos he left key in backdoor.

I'm not sure about the wine bottle. I think it was found 800m away. It might be a red herring.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yeah, the Indo seem to be on a campaign to have various journos tell us how Bailey did it with none of them offering any actual evidence so I'll continue in believing that the Indo remains a paper of toss

And I think you stated it, but worth re-iterating, that time would make it unlikely Bailey is the culprit, as he only got back from the pub at 1ish. There would not be time for him to get there on foot, and if he took the car it would likely have been noticed.

Yes correct.

Dogs have great hearing and smell, particularly for blood, so I'm taking that as the time of death.

The morning theory is completely valid though.

I never thought Bailey was guilty anyway but the nighttime timeline makes it very difficult for him to have committed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 bag_lady

Probably walked up and shouted an 'hello' into the house to make sure no one else was there. Looked like it was done with a gloved hand tho. That could explain lack of deep scratches on hands and lack of dna. Gloves went on the bonfire.

And the morning time would be challenging - he had breakfast at 9am with Jules according to the DPP report.

And they weren't the only people in the house, nobody noticed him returning in the early morning on foot or noticed car movement.

For Bailey the window would be something like 3am - 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

My 2 cents on the opinion 'oh no way he could stagger that distance and back after a load of alcohol ' etc etc ( not you personally chooseusername but I can tell you from my own experience in my younger days when I drank myself into oblivion, i could walk ( probably stagger ) very long distances whether through fields or whatever.

Its amazing when 'autopilot' switches on after a load of drink how you can sometimes carry out feats even I've looked at afterwards and said how in God's name did I manage to do that.

Oh and just to clarify, those days are long gone now thankfully.

Not sure what gloves you have in mind that would have you only lightly scratched from briar thorns. Either the thorn would go through eg through cotton or it wouldn't. If anything, it might prevent light scratches but not deep ones from thorns.

His famous black coat showed no sign of briar damage.

Nobody ever commented on him usually wearing gloves and not having any after the murder. Although people were taking an interest in his appearance.

The food in her stomach was eaten 2 to 3 hours before.

She was in bed on the phone to her husband at 11 pm. Dogs barking 12 to 2 am approximately.

Her body was found at 10am, so that would mean she would've had to be killed at 7 to 8 am if it happened in the morning.

Baileys innocent anyway I think.

He's not a saint but it's a shame he never got to clear his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

That is an attempt to minimise the (circumstantial) evidence against Alfie.

"He had a row over access with sophie"

In fact he had many isues with Sophie and the relationship between them was described by Jo Hellen as "fractious"

I suggest that there are many more cases of inter-neighbour disputes decending into violence that there are of drunken men walking three miles in the dead of night, making sexual advances on a woman and on being rejected, murdering the woman by striking her over 50 times then walking home again, without leaving any trace of his presence, or any sign of sexual interference. So, motive wise, the circumstantial evidence weighs more against Alfie.

"He was the closest to the scene"

He was definitely at the scene. And he was definitly present at the scene when Sophie was attacked. There is no evidence that Bailey was there.

"Partner went to the dump"

Shortly after the body was discovered.

"He was in his 60s and described as frail, not the kind that could inflict what was inflicted on Sophie."

That is your opinion and has been expressed by others. Many men of that age are capable of lifting a concretre block. It certainly doesn't rule him out.

"What was his motive? People say it was maybe because Sophie might have informed on his drugs business. But we don't know if it was her."

For the purposes of this debate, I would speculate that a neighbour dispute escalated to the point of violence and Alfie lost his head, attacked her physically and, ultimately, killed her.

Purely speculative, yes. But what facts we have, are certainly more aligned to that theory than to the other.

" Never once been in the public eye as a suspect., never that we know of been brought in for questioning."

With respect, that is neither here nor there.

Now with regard to Bailey:

. "Changed story about where he was that night."

He was interrogated nine weeks after the event. There is nothing unusual about someone not remembering what they were doing over two months before. Furthermore, there is strong evidence that the attack happened in the morning, in daylight. If so, the Bailey theory collapses.

2. Unexplained scratches and "wound" on forehead. The only people who could corroborate where he got the scratches were the Thomas family.

They are not unexplained. Both cases were witnessed and killing turkeys and cutting pine trees is common at Christmas.

"3. he told two people independently and unsolicited that he did it."

"He made a couple of ill advised attempts at black humour, which, under the guidence of the Gardai, those listening were persuaded to report as "admissions" In any case, it would be far more typical of a guilty person to keep their head down and their mouth shut.

"History of violence towards women"

Domestic violence is common all over the world. It is in no way comparable to setting out in darkness on a cold Winter's night, confronting a stranger, in her own home, being rejected and subsequently killing her.

"Bonfire"

Very common in rural Ireland.

6. Ambiguity about whether he knew Sophie, which has resurfaced based on something he said in his podcast.

There is no evidence, apart from a hesitant and unconvincing ststement from Alfie, that any association existed between them. No reports of them being seen together, no records of telephone contact, no mention in either's diary. Nothing.

7. His timely arrival at the scene.

That has been comprehensively de bunked in the DPP report. He arrived soemtime after 2pm. A friend of Shirley's knew before 12:00 - and she was in Cork city at the time.

8. He was a big strong 30 something year old capable of inflicting what was inflicted on Sophie.

Not evidence. Not even circumstantial evidence. Even a woman may have been capable of inflicting the wounds which killed Sophie.

Its my opinion that, if you start with the precis that "Bailey did it" then you can retrospectively manipulate what is known, to fit the theory.

But if you start with the facts as known, then he becomes one of the least likely perpetrators.

@Gussie Scrotch there is also the aspect re: Alfie that they didn't hear anything of a very violent murder next door. Maybe they didn't, but it is remarkable.

Against that, if he was the killer he wasn't very clued in. He said he didn't touch the body but when he got within 20 yards immediately went to Sophie's to see if she was ok. Unusual thing to do imo instead of checking if the person needed assistance or not. But if he wanted to he could have easily "contaminated" the body by saying he checked for injuries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭csirl

Aggrevated burgalry fits this.

Couple of burgalars arrive at gate - SDTP sees people opening the gate, puts on boots and goes to gate to see whats going on. After she is killed, one of the burgalars goes up to the house to check if there was anyone inside who might have seen something before scarpering.

People being injured/killed in rural attempted burgalries wasnt unknown at that time. Random burgalries of remote houses were common during Christmas week when people likely had gifts etc in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,245 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What you are presenting about Alfie Lyons is ifs, buts and maybes.

If their dispute escalated etc etc.

You are using the fact that in some cases such disputes turn violent as a basis for Alfie Lyons being a suspect.

You counter a number of my points about Bailey saying that their is no evidence (that he knew her) and that his height and strength are not evidence.

But nothing you say about Lyons is evidence, it's just wild speculation about a dispute turned violent.

I don't rule out Lyons as a suspect 100%, but what I do rule out is that from everything we know so far that he is a bigger suspect than Bailey.

That's just silly when you compare the two.

Yes,

The claim that neither Alfie not Shirley saw heard anything is difficult to accept. It was a still, frost night....no wind. And Alfies house was less that 50 yards away. The attack must have lasted a few minutes and, I would contend, cannot have happened in silence.

Another thing that puzzles me is Sophie's blood stain on the door. It must have been put there by the killer but why would he go up to the house after killing her?

• Advertisement

The idea that Bailey went to Sophies, was scratched at the scene and killed her after his sexual advances were rejected is wild speculation. There is zero evidence Bailey was scratched at the scene, there is zero evidence of any sexual aspect to the assault.

But he had scratches, he had a bonfire, he told people he killed her, his alibi for the night did not hold up.

You have nothing like that with Lyons.

Nothing makes Lyons a better suspect than Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Or use the pumphouse to store drugs (so as not to be caught with them) Access to them through the missing block could be loosly replaced to disguise the gap Possible even a spare key to the house. It would also make more sense that the 40 plus minor wounds before using the block indicates 2 persons, one weaker chasing her down while a second brings the block after she falls. Blocks strewn around on the ground would not be obvious at night but a known one could be easily be found.

The wine bottle is relevant for several reasons 1. Not available in Ireland 2. An expensive bottle at the time 3. French and 4. Unopened and found nearby. Taken by a person from her house and discarded after they thought about the risks or the partner in crime told the other to dump it quickly.

I believe that Sophie came to confront them with a poker/axe as they retreived their stash for Christmas being smaller she was disarmed and attacked with it first before the block was used. The killing had the appearance of being crazed and the killing may have been drug induced to an extent. They then checked the house for witnesses and wiped handles removed evidence and the expensive wine bottle etc.

Motive does for starters.

Alfie had a wound on his hand that wasn't closely examined. Shirley went to the dump leaving the crime scene cordon. They don't have a solid alibi, they just alibi'd each other. They said they didn't hear anything of the violent murder next door. So Alfie could have done anything that night and Shirley not heard it. Alfie found the body - and yes, sometimes it is the murderer who "discovers" the body.

Alfie had far more motive than Bailey to end up in an incident with Sophie, they've been listed on the thread. And yes neighbourly disputes can end in violence. There is also the angle that somebody ratted out Alfie to the Guards for growing weed, not long after Sophie moved in. Sophie changed her locks because she suspected someone, possibly Alfie, of using her bath while she was away - pointedly, a spare key was not given to Alfie.

Alfie had motive.

He was near the murder scene at the time of the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭Deeec

Alfie had a wound on his hand in the days after the murder - claimed it was done by a dog he was minding.

Your correct.......the theory is if, buts and maybes.

But that's just the theory.....the circumstantial evidence as known, is at least as incriminating to Alfie as it is to Bailey....In my opinion, even more so.

But I would contend that simple inter neighbour disputes are far more likely to escalate to violence of this type......there was a simple parking dispute in Dublin recently that escalated to murder . Whereas scenarios where by a man gets out of bed , walks many miles on a dark Winters night, attempts seduction, fails and kills his intended victim leaving not a scintilla of evidence behind, then walks all the way back, I would contend are extremely rare. I cannot think of a similar case.

Bailey is accused based on 100% circumstantial evidence.

Its not wild speculation on my part to state that Alfie was present at the murder scene at the time Sophie was attacked. Nobody disputes that. On the oither hand, it is speculative to state that Bailey was there...ther's no evidence that he was.

Its not wild speculation on my part to Sate that Alfie and Sophie were associated......Nobody disputes that either. It is speculative to attribute a similary association to Bailey and Sophie.

Its not wild speculation to stae that Alfie and Shirley were in dispute. Its well documented and Jo Hellen, who would certainly be familiar with the two, has confirmed this. It is entiurely speculative to attribute a sexual motive to Bailey...there's zero evidence of any sexual element to this crime.

Its not speculative to state that Alfies hand was bandaged on the morning after the attack. Its in the report submitted by Garda Prendegast.

And its valid to question how two people, less than 50 yards away from a prolonged, violent attack on a woman could neither see nor hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

True enough about dogs. A neighbours' dogs kick up quite a racket when I open my gate after being away for a bit and they are 300M away.

Nothing except people suspend reality and look for another explanation

• Advertisement

Alfie had a wound on his hand that wasn't closely examined

How do you know this ?

How do you know it wasn't closely examined?

This is typical of the "Alfie Lyons is a bigger suspect than Bailey" set

They are willing to ignore and gloss over tons of stuff about Bailey and focus on stuff they don't even know about with Lyons.

Advertisement