Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

You have to wonder where the money comes for these. Is it just grown kids with rich parents who have all the time and money but none of the talent?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be shocked if with games like this, 90% of the work wasn't done via Unity Assets or Unreal's own: it's insane how much you can achieve with what's available in that store. So given how much is free or near to, you probably could shít out something relatively "easily", charge 5 bucks and make a little cash.

Second Wind (channel formed from those Escapist ex-employees) did a fun little breakdown of just how much you can achieve with zero ability.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just on Palworld, this Eurogamer piece is a beaut. Aside from any of the various allegations flying around about it, the whole enterprise is elegantly captured here.

“Play Palworld and you won't feel like you're playing something made with thought, or craft, or an earnest team's best intentions. You won't feel admiration or wonder. You won't feel any real sense of achievement. You won't feel like any artist has been involved, or that anything meaningful might come to mind. You will instead feel like you're playing a product designed to be sold, rather than to be played. You will feel like a mark. And you'll be right.”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Two new games from Sam Barlow’s Half Mermaid on the way, it seems. One appears to be another FMV dealie ala Her Story and Immortality, while the other - very intriguingly, given Barlow’s past work on Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - is a survival horror game.

In related news, Immortality is also out on PlayStation today. A very fine game indeed IMO, with some wonderful creepy secrets to dig up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I haven't played it but I have read a bit about it from people who have and a lot seem to be saying the game is fun and the gameplay is good. At the end of the day isn't that what matters. I would rather that than am artistically beautiful game that is boring to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I tried immortality on my phone ala Netflix but it was very hard looking for details and navigating scenes on a small screen. Will pick up down the road on PlayStation tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

Palworld does look endlessly derivative, and is probably the last type of genre I’d be interested in with its over emphasis on crafting, but they seem to have put together something playable, and the price point is reasonable too. Throw in the Pokémon element and I can see why it’s popular, even if there’s likely a lot more games that do what Palworld does far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I haven't played Palworld and have no interest in it, but I wouldn't put much stock in Eurogamer. They always came across as utterly impossible to please and revel poor reviews.

Everyone's free to take or leave Eurogamer's take on whatever, but they just had a hugely enthusiastic five-star review (Tekken 8) and a very complimentary four-star review (Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth) yesterday too, so hardly 'utterly impossible to please' :)

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I'd not say Eurogamer are impossible to please; very discriminating perhaps with their tastes but no more egregious with their comments than any other major outlet.

• Advertisement

Good lord: so according to CS2 Case Tracker, Valve earned one billion dollars from players buying keys to open up loot cases. Whatever about the morality, or popularity of the things, Valve certainly have no financial incentive to drop the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Shur why would they bother making more games when low effort skins are making that much bank. If this was EA or 2K they'd be eaten alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you've ever wondered if mobile gaming was a complete **** show or not here's exhibit A:

Yes, this is a game announcing it's release and also announcing it's closure a few weeks later in the same tweet.

Microsoft firing nearly 10% of its gaming division in the wake of the Activision Blizzard takeover. 1,900 job losses in one go. The dark side of video game consolidation shows its ugly head once again.

Edit: Blizzard boss also departing Microsoft, along with the company's chief design officer Allen Adham:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In non people having their lives ruined so execs can get their bonuses:

EDF! EDF! EDF!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Imagine leaving a company to become way more senior in another company, only for your previous company to buy your new company, and then they lay you off. Mike Ybarra must be pissed, but it does seem like he had baggage, albeit perhaps not self inflicted, pretty sure he was the president at ABK that was being paid way more than a woman doing essentially the same job there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm sure he'll be due a big payout, just like most of the ABK execs like Bobby Kotick once the deal went through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah Kotick and some of the other absolutely vile execs at the top of ABK were made for life thanks to the deal, it's the army of people actually making the games that have been mostly decimated by this wave of layoffs. These kinds of acquisitions are an absolute cancer on the industry. Another slew of devs have been made unemployed over at Black Forest Games today as a result of the previous Embracer acquisition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Saw online that there have been approx. 6,000 layoffs this month now. Never mind all the layoffs that happened the last few months of 2023.

Absolutely insane.

Sure the people affected don't mean anything in the wide scheme of things. Just look, the NASDAQ has never been this healthy in years and inflation is only 3% and is realistically lower than that. Just ignore that food and goods needed to survive have doubled in price. But sure that stuff only affects smelly normies whose parents didn't send to private school.

• Advertisement

The frankly staggering scale of the recent layoffs also means there are fewer and fewer jobs for all these laid-off employees to get hired for. There's surely going to be a massive talent drain due to people simply not being able to find replacement jobs. A nightmare time for anyone working in game development or adjacent jobs.

While some job losses are always inevitable after a period of slowdown, hard to escape the fact that so much of this was down to executives and corporations chasing unsustainable growth and the industry further consolidating. If what's unfolded today at Microsoft is grim - and it most certainly is - what has been happening at Embracer for the last year is even grimmer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

the Pokemon company has made a statement regarding palword

Inquiries Regarding Other Companies’ Games

We have received many inquiries regarding another company’s game released in January 2024. We have not granted any permission for the use of Pokémon intellectual property or assets in that game. We intend to investigate and take appropriate measures to address any acts that infringe on intellectual property rights related to the Pokémon. We will continue to cherish and nurture each and every Pokémon and its world, and work to bring the world together through Pokémon in the future.

The Pokémon Company

It's really **** but if they are coders then there's other industries that recognise that videogame coders are far better at coding than most others in the field. Probably a wake up call to get out of the industry for them. It's unfortunate as it's probably a job they love with great satisfaction but they are also probably paid poorly and treated like **** because there's a lot of competition for those jobs.

Artists might have a tougher time though especially with so many jobs being replaced by AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

As an ex game coder I fully agree that we are the best, but also we have a tougher time being assimilated into corporate ways of doing things, that is, if nothing changed in the last 15 years or so. Things like agile and planning in general would be as foreign to as as crunch time is for a corporate coder.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I didn't think Nvidia could go down any further in my estimation, yet here we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The tools and infrastructure is there for good game developers to go independent and/or work for any company remotely around the globe. The team that created one of the best XBox "exclusive", Ori and the will of the Wisps, is one such setup. But it's a precarious life, considering they can earn a lot more and have more stability in some other software development field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I was thought Scrum and Agile in my course and implemented it in the game I worked on. Have to say it worked well, although I see increasingly on twitter Devs hating on scrum and wanting to go back to Agile, although when they explain it it's just the scrum lead is I useless gobshite. Depends on the company and the size of the project I suppose but I doubt any mid to large tier developer isn't using some form of structured project management.

• Advertisement

This is just **** **** for these people. Went through redundancy process before and it's just **** waiting around for that call. Except in my case I had to interview against the guy I worked with, someone that thought me all I knew and I massively respected.

Advertisement