Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think it's a stupid approach to the bench. It's far too vulnerable to coming undone with an injury, and I'd question the value of it's supposed benefits. We haven't needed it at all my point in the last 2 seasons when we've beaten everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To your point, the name of the game for me will be the bodies that we can launch into rucks.

Last year in the Aviva France engineered at least two scores by using their own cleaners to trap tacklers in the ruck. Outside of that, their power was largely matched - we defended their maul and never really offered much purchase to ball-carriers in contact (recall Ramos resorting to a drop goal at one point). Their single try was that wonder score by Penaud.

It's a simple question of opportunity cost for me. Since I was reminded of Robbie Henshaw's existence, I am now not sure his omission is justified by having an extra lock or back-row forward to come on. If Henshaw wasn't around, and you're weighing up a Conan/Baird/McCarthy vs. a Larmour or a Stockdale, it gets a lot tighter (all, imo)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

France in France is a different beast to France in Dublin, this why I referenced the 30-24 result. They unleashed a power game then which had them 15 points ahead at one stage in the second half. I expect the very same in Marseille, for them to go 6/2 and I think we need to match it

Ah yeah, French rugby 101 is to really front up at home. Though if I recall, we somewhat gifted them one... possibly two scores from terrible exits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Talking to a French fan today, he is hugely confident because Sexton is out but also he said he watched Crowley v Bayonne and v Northampton

his opinion is Ireland hasn’t a hope if he is playing 10, he feels he is not big enough and France will target him, plus his kicking game is poor and he won’t be able to move France around which is what the Irish pick will need to get away from a head to head battle which the bigger French players will win

Agree or disagree but that’s a view from France (FYI just one fan)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I wouldn't be concerned about Crowley's kicking or his defence but interesting to hear a French pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I've never thought Crowley was a liability in defence. Plus Lowe is going to be back for a lot of our defensive kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

If Crowley is a liability in defense then we are screwed because he’s probably the best of the bunch when it comes to that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I wouldn't be concerned about him not being big enough (and I'm not sure he is particularly small for a 10?).

We've seen plenty of brilliant defensive involvements from him. Game in the tackle, he seems to rip the ball surprisingly frequently for a 10, regularly involved in choke tackle attempts and he's even showed up with the odd jackal, and indeed big ruck involvement. We also know he's well able to carry hard (thinking the sit-down on Harry Byrne).

I'd go as far as saying he's our best 10 from a defensive stand-point, his superior pace maybe edging him ahead of RB in that regard.

I can understand that someone who has only seen the Bayonne and Northampton games may think his kicking came is poor, but he's had some excellent kicking in plenty of other games. The Italy warm-up game iirc, and the URC final in particular come to mind.

Away in France is no easy task for what will only be his 3rd start? But I'm pretty excited to see how he goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I dont really understand the size thing is he not about the same size as ntamack and bigger than jalibert?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Im not sure hes much smaller than sexton either

meh

France will most likely start with Jalibert and Lucu, with uncapped Le Garrec on the bench....... which is a significant downgrade on Ntamack and Dupont, with Lucu on the bench.

Jaliberts positional kicking game is not his biggest strength (that would be his ability to stand flat and pick holes)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Yeah, I think we're getting very down on our own prospects for this game. France are in a surprisingly similar position to us. Both are just off the back of a very good run of form and performances that lead to a disappointing world cup, and both are without a really pivotal half back.

The home/away aspect is obviously in their favour.

In a way it might be one of those nice "nothing to lose" games. If we win, amazing. If France come out on top, well It's france at home and we're without Sexton (and Hansen & JOB etc). Plus we then have Italy at home to bounce back against.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm not too worried about his defence, he is small but has a lot of physicality, but I think the sentiment here is probably correct.

crowley?? small???

hes bigger than Jalibert and about the same size as Ntamack.

Hes young and has some muscle to put on, but "small" is not a adjective id use to describe Crowley.

I wonder if it would be smart to start casey with crowley. they have built in chemistry from playing together and i think playing with a young 10 is almost detrimental to JGP’s game. Also, honestly Casey has been great this year while Crowley hasn’t really been that amazing.

That’s assuming they are going with Crowley. JGP is also the perfect 9 for a 6-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

Like I said about the SA game in the WC, if we go with a 6/2 split we are playing right into France's hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

Conveniently leaving out the game against Toulon though isnt he! He appears to be guilty of confirmation bias.

I too was talking to a French fan.

He said he once saw Doris knock the ball on.

So France are not afraid in this game because they have a great scrum and will win penalties if Doris knocks the ball on.

So pretty much if they win it will all be Doris's fault.

Just one person's opinion, etc.

• Advertisement

No need to get so triggered over a fan from another country opinion.

Is it really a shock to see fans from other countries think the lack of Sexton and the introduction of Crowley will weaken Ireland?

By the way I wouldn't say Crowley lacks the size for a 10, so certainly he has that part wrong anyway. He is 1.85 according to google, Sexton was 1.88 and Ntamack is 1.86

So leave the best 9 on the bench?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Is it really a shock to see fans from other countries think the lack of Sexton and the introduction of Crowley will weaken Ireland?

I wouldn't say it is a shock so much as a redundant opinion. "Losing our best ever player weakens the team" is not a particularly interesting viewpoint.

Crowley's kicking in general in the two games mentioned were not great, but he has been better. His defence is fine for a 10.

Do we know for sure that we weren't talking to the same person?

I personally don’t think the gap at nine is that great especially since JGP is a bit erratic at 9 without a strong hand at 10. Crowley is a bit green to be a strong hand immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

People need to stop saying Sexton is "out". He's retired. You wouldn't say Brian O'Driscoll and Willie John McBride are "out".

If you think so, JGP has been playing with Harry/Predergast and Frawley at 10 all season and doing ok

Not sure who came up with the narrative he needs a strong 10? Or has this just been imagined up because he was playing a lot of rugby with Sexton?

if that’s the case wouldn’t Murray start who is the number 2 in Ireland most recently and played well for them during WC etc?

Calm down, I just though it was interesting to give a French fans view, no need to lose the run of yourself because he didn’t rate Crowley highly based on the games he seen him play

I would guess Casey has passed Murray by now but you are right that that might not be the case.

Casey is absolutely not ready to start a six Nations game away in France. Sorry but no, not even near ready. He's doing well to get ahead of Murray, but JPG is still the v front runner to start at 9, and by a distance in my opinion. I don't even think that for Farrell Casey is clearly ahead of Murray, despite their relevant roles with Munster.

• Advertisement

My guy was called Pierre, anyway. Great hair. Same fella?

Advertisement