Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Look. You cannot expect a massive number fcuked by the housing crisis , to note vote for change, even if its slim chance of meaningful change. Because things might get worse on another front. If you were the one screwed by the housing crisis, you'd see it differently than siding with ffg who are going to look after most peoples selfish self interest of wanting high as possible property prices...

Ffg won't sort out housing. They and it looks like sf won't sort out our open doors immigration policy, they will pay for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Surely it's equally as selfish to want property prices to fall so as to be able to afford a house? Trying to make those who managed to buy property at high prices as the bad guy in this is an odd way to go. I'll admit I'm one of those who managed to buy during this madness and while I don't mind negative equity as I plan to stay in my house for a long time I don't like people such as yourself trying to paint me as a bad guy for not wanting to repay a mortgage that is double what SF are looking to make my house worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

If you have no job then what are the chances of getting a house?

Some people(not saying you as I don't know) seem to think the MNC only mean money for people that work in them. That getting rid of them will "take them down a peg or two"

What they don't seem to be able to comprehend is the wages the people get from MNC is then spend in the area. The electricians servicing the fire system, the catering staff, the security people, the people delivering to the catering staff. It's a massive system which depends on them.

I think the number was something like 2,000 eggs per day was been used in Dell and that was gone. So who do you supply the 2,000 eggs to then?

That's just to start with, before you even look at the terrible record of SF in terms of housing at every opportunity.

Sinn Fein want to start a war on the working person. They already have. How dare someone get a good education, work hard and achieve something with their life. Maybe having the ability to buy a few luxuries. They are the enemy to Sinn Fein.

If people are stupid enough to vote for that based on "change" then let them off, remind me what exactly has Sinn Fein manged to "change" in Northern Ireland for 26 years since the GFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,948 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sinn Fein want to start a war on the working person. They already have. How dare someone get a good education, work hard and achieve something with their life. Maybe having the ability to buy a few luxuries. They are the enemy to Sinn Fein.

That ^ is sensationalist non factual rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,946 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭mattser

If Sinn Fein weren't so pathetic, they would be funny. We don't what we're agin, but we're agin it!!!!

"SINN Féin will wait until the Government announces its position on the future status of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland before announcing its own policy, a senior party TD has said."

"Mr Ó Broin’s comments appear to amount to Sinn Féin’s third different policy position within the last month on the future of Ukrainian refugees after the EU temporary protection directive expires next year."

If this was happening in an election campaign, their support would be nosediving.

If this was happening in an election campaign, their support would be nosediving.

Did you not predict that a few weeks ago when their polling took a slight dip?

If Hugh looks real hard (don't worry, Hugh won't look too hard at FG FF) he'd be reporting that they are all struggling and are going to struggle with this issue and a good deal of the reason is the government's policy is 'make it up as you go' - keep the public in the dark and jump stuff on them and expect them to react reasonably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭pureza

Careful now

Your party of choice aren't a great judge of journalists given how much ye used love Aoife Moore untill ye got wind of the best selling not so flattering book she was secretly writing about ye

The love them if you like what they say and Diss them when you don't ain't a good policy,it can come back to bite

So show me how you worked that out?

When did I get 'wind of this book' exactly?

Here's a comment I made about Aoife in reply to brokenangel in 2022 before the book was even published. The idea she was a shinner and writing articles in favour of them was bull even then. Aoife is a good journalist, not in anyone's camp from what I can see.

Seems others thought Aoife was a Shinner not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Any update on how Gerry Kelly is going to fund a case, which he lost to the tune of €1.5 million?

If as expected FF and SF sit down and try to solve the 'forming a government' dilemma, will all FF TD's have to reveal how they paid for various defamation and court actions?

Seems that is the only relevant question arising out of that question on this thread Mark.

When SF and FF sit down to form a government, I wonder will MLMD seek a special fund for paying for lost defamation cases?

Or is that why she is flying to Washington for St. Patrick's Day? To cosy up to the Americans? Makes all her talk about Gaza look hypocritical and hollow.

If as expected FF and SF sit down and try to solve the 'forming a government' dilemma, will all FF TD's have to reveal how they paid for various defamation and court actions?

Nothing to do with my question.

It's clear you don't know, but I doubt Gerry will have to fork it out himself. I am sure he has a few friends that robbed the odd bank to help him out, if you know what I mean.

What it has to do with this thread - forming a government is the point Mark.

You can 'doubt' all you want, insinuate all you want, but it is just using the thread to rant about SF. There is a thread for that in Current Affairs if memory serves me.

Maybe MLMD will charge $600 a plate rather than the usual $500 for their dinners?

Inflation, Gerry Kelly and all that :D

Or, maybe they will have to sell a few of their properties.

Sinn Fein is the definition of irony. A working class, left-wing party, who charge $500 for a dinner and who are one of the largest landlords in the country. The people who like and vote for them are fools imo.

What is it makes you think MLMD won't tell Biden what she has very publicly said in the Dáil?

In terms of 'lost' defamation cases, I think SF have won more of these than they have lost.

Those of independent mind would be asking themselves questions about that, why is it that they are defamed so often, why would they be defamed so much by a supposedly 'independent' media etc. etc. but they won't, they will try to set arbitrary timescales so that it appears SF are losing more than they are winning.

why would they be defamed so much by a supposedly 'independent' media 

Engaging in crackpot conspiracies now Francie.

Nothing crackpot about it Mark.

Why would they win more cases than they lose?

Are you saying there is a conspiracy in our judicial system?

The thing is, Sinn Fein are not defamed, they pretend they are, and when the cases go to court, they lose.

We can now say that Gerry Kelly is a murdering terrorist without fear of recrimination.

Gerry Adams can be sued by victims of the PIRA.

It is now 4-0 that Sinn Fein are down.

• Advertisement

Arbitrary totting up again.

The courts have found in favour of SF members.

Off the top of my head I can think of 3 cases they have won.

MoN

Nicky Kehoe

Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire

It's interesting and shows the flip flopping that goes on, that in the Kehoe case, there were howls of indignation that the labour party rep who made the remarks on RTE was not named in the suit, but when Chris Andrews named Harry McGee as wel as the Irish Times there were howls of indignation that they named a journalist. Same when Gerry Kelly named Malachy Doherty in his case.

They cannot win with those who take the high moral ground and ignore the fact that politicians from all parties sue or threaten to sue when they feel they are defamed/libelled/ or are under threat of exposure. Examples are abundant and can be supplied.

Edit: If memory serves, I think RTE managed to avoid paying out more by getting the judge to accept the Labour party member was partly liable. Ironic that RTE turned on it's contributor.

We hear fake claims all the time that politicians from all parties sue or threaten to sue, and these fake claims make out that Sinn Fein are no different. Don't be fooled by such claims, they are just propaganda lies from Sinn Fein apologists. Here is the take on it from an international newspaper looking in at what it going on:

"Index on Censorship, a London-based watchdog, said other parties also threatened and took legal action but not on the same scale. “We are not aware of members of any other Irish party taking a comparable number of concurrent cases against the media in recent years.”"

Maybe Sinn Fein should sue the Guardian for pointing this out. Now, that article was written before the recent High Court judgement in Belfast where the judge stated clearly and unequivocally that the Gerry Kelly case bore all the hallmarks of a SLAPPs action.

So there you have it. International commentators say that Sinn Fein are taking SLAPPs cases and judges confirm it. So the next time you hear or read a Sinn Fein apologist making out that politicians are all the same, don't just take it with a grain of salt, take it with a truck of salt.

Didn't read past this tbh

We hear fake claims all the time that politicians from all parties sue or threaten to sue, and these fake claims make out that Sinn Fein are no different. 

Don't want to be accused of engaging in 'look over there' but anyone who googles this will see that politicians from the current Taoiseach to councilors to TD's from all parties have threatened to sue or sued.

You are just an 'apologist' for those parties if you are in denial of this.

I defend their right to sue by the way and to seek redress.

You mentioned that the press has a vendetta against SF.

That the press is not independent.

Who controls the press, Francie? Lizard people? The Jews? The Tory Party?

Tinfoil hat stuff. Again this isnt your first rodeo. You uttered the same nonsense years ago when it came to boards.ie and its pro-Royalist agenda. You were laughed out of the place like Gerry Kelly was laughed out of the Court in Belfast.

Stick to cribbing about FF/FG and the 'power swap' and you won't be made to look so out of touch.

You mentioned that the press has a vendetta against SF.

Some of the press, yes. Quite well recognised at this stage.

That the press is not independent.

Absolutely, some of the press is not independent...ffs you don't get called a 'FG paper' or 'FF paper' for nothing

The prime FF family in the country actually owned a major newspaper here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I see the decision to attend the WH on Patrick’s Day is going down a lead balloon with some of the online army on Twitter.

Bobson called it last month - ditch the angry young lads on Twitter with the Bobby Sands background and the badly translated planter-into-Irish surname. Never going to keep them happy and the sooner you lance a boil the better.

Might be time for the auld sages in Belfast to put a bit of manners on the Ográ.

Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire

Wrong, that case was never settled in the courts, it was settled outside of it.

MoN

Wrong, that case was against a DUP councillor, not the press. The judge also didn't give her a penny.

And Nicky Kehoe was awarded €3,500 but didn't get his costs, an effective loss.

I am not aware of a single case where a Sinn Fein politician or official has gone to court, won their case, and been awarded significant damages and costs by a judge or a jury.

When is comes to Sinn Fein these days, money talks. For all the talk about Gaza and the Palestinians, they are not going to upset the big donors in America by saying anything

• Advertisement

They were defamation cases.

Fair enough on the D O'L case, it was settled, the defamer settled the case and paid compensation, also apologised to another SFer and removed all trace of the show from the airwaves.

Sinn Féin TD Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire has settled a defamation claim against RTÉ for a sum understood to be in excess of €150,000.

Sinn Féin TD Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire settles defamation claim against RTÉ – The Irish Times

Advertisement