Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm seeing that sewers story from a lot of trustworthy twitter accounts. I'd be inclined to say it's true unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's definitely true ....

It's a large loss for any Ukrainian unit in a single action

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Field east

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I'd believe the sewer story is possible. Not sure I'd believe the 300 dead Ukranian soldiers from the single move unless we get more official confirmation.

What twitter sources are posting that?

Israel just put in a substantial military Order with the US to include more F35s F15EXs not even in service ,Apache helicopters ,along with artillery and other munitions to be filled asap they have asked the US Airforce to give up there production slots on the F15s F35s who has priority over foreign customers, now last time Israel asked for munitions after the Oct 7th terrorist attacks US shell deliveries to Ukraine dropped by 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Hard to sy I suppose it depends where they popped out of the sewers and was there say a large concentration of Ukrainian military in 1 position resting maybe in a building and the Russians got in there before they knew what was happening, how long where they going around before Ukrainian forces realised what was happening and what troops Russia was using as well as if they were using some of their more crack troops and they got in amongst the Ukrainians especially if coming from a direction and place where you never would of expected them to be they could of caused carnage.

Think about it they roughly know where all the Russian positions but they also know that there artillery and drones will keep those Russian pinned down and they won't be threatening your positions ,only for 100-150 Russians appear in your positions and you don't have artillery or drones to cover you,it could have been very dangerous situation for anyone to have been in , but it's been confirmed that the Russians grained positions which they can likely increase the numbers in adviika,and it's not the first time they've used a similar tactic and attack, months of artillery and constant attacks can ware people down especially in trenches, accounts coming from people who have moved out of trenches say the Artillery is coming down around the clock along with drones , tiredness and complacency and kick in ,

• Advertisement

Ohh to be fair you would crap it as like you say there inside your lines they have gotten pass your forward and probably secondary positions without them knowing and there in behind you which no one was expecting is 100 to 150 Russians. They would of taken out a lot of Ukrainians as they would not of been expecting them to literally appear in your positions out of thin air. Luckily for Ukraine there wasn't a few 100 more Russians coming out of this gap before Ukraine realised.

Probably even worse it was probably a night assault and if none of the Ukrainians had Nods or thermal optics they literally would have been fighting Blind and no idea who and what you might be shooting at or who's shooting at you, not an envious situation to in for anyone,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"it's been confirmed that the Russians grained positions which they can likely increase the numbers in adviika"

Any chance of providing a source for this confirmation you mention?

I can't see anything in the media about new positions being taken by putin's troops in Adiivka through crawling through a sewer so some sort of reputable source for your "confirmation" would help avoid this thread being derailed by questions over where this information is coming from. Just seen a good article from a recognised media source about why so many moskovtes are being killed while making so little progress in their continued attacks on parts of Ukraine:

Edit: Actually did think someone had already found an official source that made out your claims are not based on anything factual so just reposting that in case you missed it:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

And a list of recent fires, particularly in or near refineries or similar oil / gas operations,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I don't understand why Russia after discovering a tunnel under Avdiivka would plan this attack over 6 months and only send 150 troops behind these unbreakable lines. Surely they should have sent 500 at least.

I presume it was they weren't sure it would work, if Ukraine noticed it they might of thought they might collapse the tunnel and kill 150 instead of 500 troops in 1 go. More they should of been fast to get more troops in if it was a success. But maybe drones stop it as they could of been thinking Ukraine would notice more troops in that sector or something? Still sadly it was a smart move on Russia that seemed to have worked out for them, smart isn't usually something you say with Russian military tactics in this war but in this case it was a risk but paid off for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

We are well and truly back to WW1 with artillery barrages, trench warfare and now tunnel warfare

There is not a notion they killed 300 people from it though!

Imagine if they did send 500 through the tunnels ,100-150 eliminated 500 killed or injured now multiply that number several times over with a larger force running amok inside Ukrainian lines , what ever the plan for the Russians was it seem to have worked they breached the Ukrainian lines and have gained another foothold inside of adviika

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Paddigol

So is the consensus here that there was no tunnel breakthrough and/ or no significant loss on the Ukrainian side?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Probably too late for that but since I'm not getting a reply to my request for any reputable source for this claimed confirmation that some tunnel had allowed putin's troops take up new positions the latest update I could find simply refers to claims the moskovytes are said to be using the tactic of digging tunnels under positions of the Ukrainian armed forces in the houses to the south of the city and packing them with explosives so they can increase the area of rubble just as is happening across Ukraine from their use of artillery. The article can't confirm the pro putin bloggers claims and an independent analysis group on the war describes movement in the area as "marginal tactical advances during intensified offensive efforts"

Do we actually know if any significant number of putin's troops moved through a tunnel to a new position in the Adiivka area?

• Advertisement

People are confused,it happened Russia made some gains through it , other people have said it happened , the usual suspects no ,no ,no It didn't happen,it couldn't have happened,but yet again here we are ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,022 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

There's a logic in it, making the convicts stay the full term implies less will return to Russian society, so they solve two problems at the same time. Also keeps the Muscovites further away from the Russian version of Uncle Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭zv2

Russia needs to take a page out of the Hamas book and start living underground, lol.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We can certainly question your claim 300 Ukrainians were killed and 200 wounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

The Ukrainian war might be considered a roaring success at this stage, and on other fronts too. Moscow needs 2 million + workers to keep the city (maintenance) and commercial side of things running. It has gotten so bad that even though Putin was paying soldiers up to 3 times the average salary, commercial interests have pushed salaries even higher in direct competition with Putin for staff. Ah, all said and done, it's been a great start to 2025 for Ukraine. Not so good for Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I think the that the sewer story may indeed have happened. My own assumption and that is an assumption mind you, is that this avdiivka salient which is in the process of collapsing at the moment as you can see at the tight neck:

Is potentially explained by the sewer story.

Now after that what we have is our local sewer pipe style poster @Gatling claiming that somehow Ukraine lost what? Over a platoon? Half a brigades worth of soldiers in a single move somehow? Based on nothing more than, from what I can see, one twitter post and one video where some Ukrainians can be heard saying "200" and "300".

And again I could be wrong here, I'll always caveat but there's a few things that I think make that extremely unlikely:

• I just don't see the Ukranian army being so incompetent as to have 2-300 frontline soldiers in one area of the map that could be encircled by a single underground tunnel move. And nothing on the Deepstate map shows said encirclement so far.
    • Losing 300 soldiers in a single attack would be hitting more mainstream levels of news. So far we have one twitter video confirmed? Which doesn't actually confirm anything like this. There was mention of more trusted twitter accounts earlier but when I asked these were not provided.
    • UAF operational silence has been good at obfuscating their losses so far but I just don't see over a platoon of soldiers being wiped in an afternoon as being possible to sweep under the rug. At this point you're approaching Azovstal Steel plant siege levels of encirclement.
    • The "300" and "200" comment is more easily explained by Soviet codes for casualties. I'm sure Ukraine did lose people as they do every day on the lines.

Then of course since then we've had a few fantastical pie in the sky scenarios about somehow Russia catching hundreds of Ukranians in the same building and killing them all.

[Mod Snip]

Is it possible? Yes. But i'll wait for more than a few seconds of a conversation in a video and the word of a few internet contrarians before I believe it the next Azovstal steel plant scenario just occured.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement