Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Yes, but all of that calculation took time and effort, and reduced the landing distance on 25, because the Aviation Regulator doesn't have a look out of the window of an aircraft landing to decide whether it meets the requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Yes I have and the road won't have an impact. Worst case scenario they put stop lights on the road such like a railway crossing for when aircraft is either taking off or landing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I am pretty sure that the planning application would have been submitted to the Irish Aviation Authority (as the statutory body responsible for matters aeronautical) for their comments re length, width, orientation etc and had it not been, it would be dismissed by government out of hand. One presumes there must be some level of expertise attached to dealing with an airport planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The plan was delivered on the 13th of December 2023. Fyi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Reminds me of the "caution,Low flying aircraft " sign , that was on the kinsale road approaching the airport - not sure if its still there,

always wondered was i expected to duck 🦆😂

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

That's great to hear but do we have any confirmation on this anywhere. Submitting the plan is a big deal as it places the ball firmly in the governments court.

If the public have confirmation that the plan was submitted then that will put further pressure on the minister especially with private money available.

Before I go badgering out representatives I would like to be sure the plan is submitted.

I would also encourage everyone to do the same, where is the same South East united front from South East politicians in regards for the airport that was so present and vocal for SETU?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

No its not in the public domain, I assume there is a reasoning they are keeping a low profile, but it is a fact that it was received on the said date.

I have read the business plan and whilst not wonderful it is a strong case but is a tad shy on where exactly the future revenue streams will be exactly, but again I assume they did not want to show whose cake they were going to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dan575283578

The question is, will the government actually match the 12 million euro funding? I'm not sure...

Regarding the road being close to the runway, the end of the runway will be ~100m from the road, I would imagine it's fine, I'd say there'll just be a 'low-flying aircraft' warning sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

6 billion per year to NGOs, billions to Ukraine and other refugees and countless hundreds of millions to immigrants and they can't find a lousy 12m for capital infrastructure to serve 600K Irish citizens in the SE.. It's criminal how they are blowing away our future

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Valhalla90

I was only thinking the same! It’s literally cents to them. As I have said before it’s all about keeping Cork & Dublin happy. The saga continues…

• Advertisement

i wouldn't think that cork or dublin would care too much, cork are probably more concerned with KIR/SNN and dublin couldn't care less. i'd be more worried about the greens/ eamon ryan blocking this than anything else - if it wasn't for them, we'd likely get the funding just like the 5 million that was approved years ago.

Agreed, we would take a very small percentage of Cork airport passengers.

Cork politicians on the other hand wouldn't be overly impressed with Waterford getting an airport, and the airport will purely be a political decision.

It’s very bad timing with Ryan as minister. It’s shocking how brainwashed this man is. It’s all politics. Hopefully Waterford people won’t forget on Election Day our green TD who still to this day hasn’t supported the airport.

You could argue if any of them have really supported it. For SETU we were washing with "I'm meeting with the minister regularly to get this over the line" all South East politicians regularly met with the minister as one to get SETU over the line.

Has there been the same support for the Airport? Definitely not regionally anyway, but even from our local representatives we have heard very little.

No doubt if it ever gets over the line they will be front and centre on how they delivered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Will you applaud Ryan in a few weeks when the funding is announced?

I really hope I’m proven wrong. I will applaud for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

plenty of us will still be supporting the greens for the next ge, even though theyre truly dreadful at times, even in regards environmental matters....

and that’s exactly the problem with Ireland. I’m sure you will continue to enjoy your trip to Dublin & Cork airports for your travels abroad. But let’s ignore the car mileage and environmental factors with that. While an airport sits empty for years over lack of political will and excuses most likely now related to the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...or maybe the greens are primarily our main environmentally political party, if another should arise, id more than likely also give them a shout at the ballot box, again, i still dont see waterford being a viable passenger airport, of course i could be wrong, but.....

waterford would more than likely never become a departure airport for the type of destinations i go to, of course it could become one, or maybe even create routes to get to where i go to, but....

...ive actually started to use the bus to dublin, im not sure i ll be driving again, yes this is definitely more environmentally unfriendly than direct flights from Waterford, but....

...there clearly is serious environmental implications from increasing air traffic, but it is the current world we live in, without it, we simply wouldnt have functioning economies, its a catch 22, we currently dont know how to do without this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

/ -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Minister Ryan received the plan on Wednesday 13th December 2023. It remains unread, bottom of the pile 7 weeks later.

When's the **** election to get rid of this Ryan turd?

Absolutely outrageous, it's 12 million euro! It's cents to them, compared to money spent on other things in the country.

"we have a very dense network of airports across the country compared to other countries"

It's almost as if, i don't know, we're on an island or something???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He has an awful habit of doing this. Let stuff sit on his desk with no regard for consequences.

The people of Waterford have an excellent opportunity to avenge this by voting out the clown ye got stuck with in 2020.

We won’t hear a word from our Green TD. All part of the plan!

He was sitting behind Ryan during his response, you would have to wonder

His argument made no sense,

“We’ve seen significant increases in Cork, Dublin, Shannon, all the airports and that makes a business case difficult in terms of where the market is and how it would work."

So we have seen significant increases in passenger numbers and aviation activity and that somehow makes it difficult for another airport to operate? Somebody make it make sense

So private business is putting up 12 million, government is matching that , and this is a 30 million project ? Where's the other 6 million coming from ? Whos underwriting that , and this 30 million project , its 30 million when ? Inflation and commodities rises boost prices damn quick , who's on the hook for that ,

I assume the main thing that sank commercial flights out of waterford before was the opening of the motorway to Dublin . Thats still there. The 600,000 people that the airport "serves" a good chunk of them will drive or get the bus to Dublin , because its as close to go to Dublin ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The sooner he is gone to more chances we have of getting this over the line!

Jaysus , that eamon ryan must be some man for one man ,

He seems to run and control everything in the country , holds the entire purse strings

Reminds me a bit of the bean Garda of old - everything you got a ticket for was only because "THE bean Garda was in the squad car, watching"

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

In fairness , this business plan was being waited on for a while , it went in just before Christmas, ,

It would need to be properly vetted before it goes in front of the minister ,

where's the private money coming from ? Is it secure ?,

Whats the business case , where do the current owners make their money out of this project ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement