Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Will it effect farm to farm sale of calves?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Any reduction in live exports will drop the price of beef here, wouldn't matter if every calf born was a Hereford or Limo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Good loser

Well I don't like it and 'we' don't like it either.

As far as calf welfare is concerned the quicker calves leave dairy farms imo the better for the calves. They're going from people that don't want them to people that do. In the grand scheme of things the sooner that transfer is effected the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

AFAIK any reduction on calf age for sale will affect farm to farm movements otherwise you will have farmers buying/taking calves into their herds to ship.

Edit to add - there was talk of an exemption when a suckler cow lost a calf and I think that should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Anyone breeding animals has to take responsibility for them and has to accept the financial consequences if they breed an animal that isn't wanted. The reality is no one wants a bull calf with Jex or Frx breeding that are under 50 kgs at 3 week old. These types of animal cost more to feed for beef than they will ever return.

• Advertisement

My point was a reduction in live exports will drop the price paid for beef within the country. If they want to change the rules or whatever its fine but if it leads to a reduction in exports then that is an undeniable fact.

Re the 5 wk rule or whatever, at least let their be a move of the 42 day tb test out to what it was during covid, took pressure off the whole system. Their blaming Europe for not doing it then fcuking talk to them.

The people I know rearing calves seem to prefer em at the 3/ 4 weeks get em on to their own system and alot of the time have all calves bought by 1st march off farm, even if they are on the young side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

If the calves are good enough how could there be a drop in live exports?

Didn't mention anything about calves being good enough or not. My comment was in relation to the discussion above which was possible restrictions on live exports which could reduce the amount of stock leaving the country

I agree with what your saying about JE and FRx bull calves but they don't go for export.

@Base price unfortunately you are right. You see lads trying to hide the Je breeding with Aux cattle now.

• Advertisement

@Anto_Meath - I've posted about it years ago here on F&F about JEx/FRx beef cross calves. Unfortunately over those years the quality of the cow's has diminished where you have more extreme Jersey and Kiwi breeding in some cows nowdays. It's been going on for years firstly with Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn, Simmental and in the last few years with Aubrac & Parthenaise (which is the best breed crossed with JE due to the colouring), Belgian Blue, Galloway & Belted Galloway, Droimeann, Irish Moiled, British Longhorn, Waygu, Speckled Park etc, etc. Many an unsuspected farmer has been caught out buying calves which look pretty in the ring on the day but will never cover their costs of feeding.

DAFM need to ensure that ALL marts selling calves/cattle show ALL the details that are on the blue card (I think it should be our right as TAX payers) including the Dam's breed, days in herd, number of movements, the calves weight and I'd also include a suckler pair's weight on the scale. Unfortunately some marts pick and choose what information they display on the mart and online board.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’ve been that solider buying those kinda calves in the mart. But once bitten, twice shy.

Spoke to an ABP agent last week about cattle and he mentioned some lads are still trying to offload JE bulls as AA. Black as the ace of spades but the V-shape from behind gives it away he said.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The irony of course is that many of the people who decry these animals are willing to spend nearly 40% of their direct payments to produce "quality cattle".

The better the animal, the bigger the loss sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If the details of breeding and the euro value ( only glitch will be the push towards U24 month slaughter ) is displayed and dairy cross have to be held until 5 weeks along with no calf slaughter before 8 weeks ot will sort a lot of these issues out.

If poorer quality calves have to be kept beyond the 5 week market will force a change in breeding policy. As well its easier to distinguish the difference in calf quality at 5+ weeks.

The restrictions will force the breeding of better quality calves.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

AFAIK Brussels hasn't yet issued legislation regarding calf slaughter. Many posters on here know that I have no issue with poor quality calves been slaughtered at approved DAFM plants cause it's better than the faith that some of them have to endure when bought through marts. IMO - veal is veal, chicken is chicken, lamb is lamb, fresh and frozen kid/goat is highly sought after here, Bambi is venison etc and their ain't any age restrictions on their slaughter age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Grueller

There might be no regs from Europe on it Base, yet. But the attached excerpt is from Bord Bia. Slaughter before 8 weeks and no bord bia, so no milk collection from co-op.

My error off hand taught it was 12 ya it's 8 weeks correctd my post. Not only that they have prevented sale for slaughter in the regulations

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,508 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See group looking for Wagu cross holding meetings. €200 per calf and €50 when animal is killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,590 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

200 is very cheap. And they will get people to do it for that provided the semen cost.

And to think wagyu was held up and protected by the Japanese for so long.

And now look how cheap people on this side of the world have made it.

This is why farmers in this part of the world can't have nice things. 😏 Commodify everything.

@Finty Lemon for a beef farmer to make money then the animal has to carry weight preferably something in excess of 350 kgs dead weight. Some people just don't seem to understand that. Any animal that can carry that weight will leave a profit if bought correctly. Small jex or frx cattle can't do that.

• Advertisement

Fair point, but how do you define 'bought correctly'?

Also, do you need 350kg?

You certainly do if you have to feed a suckler cow out of it and buy meal to finish the animal

You need to be getting close to 350kgs dw which over the year could range between €1,500 - €1,800 for base price plus QA on an animal.

Bought right is the million dollar question. That depends on how each individual farmer runs their farm.

@Grueller feed meal will usually pay with a suckler bred animal as it will help up them a grade or two &help get them away under 30 months. U need to get every cent from the factory that you can.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

The most important thing is that the animal has the ability to achieve a decent weight gain per day, especially at grass. The way the market is structured early maturing is important as as well.

If the animal has them characteristics and will mature at 300 kgs we can live with that. The killer is animals incapable of hitting a daily live weight gain of 700+ grams per day

Slava Ukrainii

Afaik it's the Kobe beef which is protected, the waygu can only come from that prefecture of Japan, fed a certain way and carcases are all graded according to marbling etc. And only allowed be sold as Kobe of making the grade. The wagyu around here is only the genetics sent off really

Any of the wagyu I have seen in the Mart are no better than a black Jex so I can't imagine there will be a big demand for them.

I was watching a recent video from Kaz - Farm Vet Films (he is a friend of Cammy/ the Sheep Game) where he was working on some Wagyu cattle on his girlfriends farm and he wasn't that complimentary about them.

Agree100%👍

Gain off grass and the genetics to achieve it is the way it is going.

Interesting that the controversial changes to beef indexes are driven by a recognition of huge increases in input costs. It plays back into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

What is Seamus Scallans latest video about, is he saying that he wont buy calves off farmers who don’t buy milk powder off him?

• Advertisement

That is the talk about here alright and I wouldn’t be a million miles from him. Several lads that have bought his powder inthe past claim that they would rather hand milk a cow to feed calves than use it again.

Advertisement