Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung S24 series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Djdenny13

Yeah but now exertis claims they'll only get them back in stock by the end of February, that doesn't also guarantee the delivery by the end of the month too. I'm not too pushed about upgrading it from the s22 ultra anyway, I could aswell just cancel the order and get it some other time. The reasoning for my frustration is that I work alot overseas, I don't even know if by the end of February I'll be in Ireland or other country in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I understand the frustration completely, and people in the UK who had their orders delayed received £30 store vouchers, but I just can't see Exertis doing the same

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Gives me hope mine will arrive tomorrow while WFH, last delivery from DPD they left it on the doorstep - I have a tiny front garden, literally 3 foot from gate to door, anyone could have quickly picked it up (and it wasn't cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Djdenny13

They simply put the blame on Samsung. But what I can't understand is why let me preorder claiming it's in stock, but then... No stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This makes no difference. It's not the settings. Google it. Lots of people complaining on Samsung forum, Reddit etc. Threads of people coming from 5 years old s10 and see a drop in screen quality

Seems to be an issue with not just the S24u. Other S24 models too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

🤷‍♂️🤦 it's the Internet people give out about the tiniest ****.

Saying changing the settings makes no difference is nonsense I've played around with mine it makes a boat load of difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mouseycon

I ordered a Titanium Grey 512Gb S24 Ultra yesterday and I recieved it today. No sign of the grip case or buds FE yet. I'm going to have to be careful until the case arrives. I also ordered an ESR case, so hopefully one arrives tomorrow or Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

Any discount codes available? Gonna get off the fench and order tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭TheRona

It's not a drop in screen quality. Models as far back as the S10 has crazy saturation on certain colours. I've got my screen looking good and matching how I had it on the S23 Ultra.

FWIW I thought the reds were too strong on the S23U, so I had toned that down.

If you look back to the days of LCD and amoled, devices like HTC M7 had a much more natural look, and looked so much better than the equivalent Samsung at the time. It's really become a case of people confusing saturation with quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I don't seem to have the strange subdued colours mentioned but one thing I found very odd is that under Display -> Screen Mode -> Vivid -> Advanced Settings, the White Balance adjustment does nothing for any adjustment of Red/Green/Blue which seems not correct.

I wonder is there a bug that the incoming update will fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

@Antamojo UPIE10 here's my 10% preoder code. Have decided to hold on to my phone for another while so won't be using the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I've had this Titanium Grey for the last two days. I'll come right out and say it, the display isn't good(bright). On the S23U the brightness slider would be barely at the start and it would be sufficient. I get the same results on the S24U and the slider is near the end???! How can that be right, anti glare or no anti glare. It's like they gimped the brightness to preserve battery. I think it's going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I agree and experiencing the same. I have played around the Advanced Settings under Display with some improvement but not the best so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Philip42 on full brightness it sears my eyeballs. Are you sure your Eye comfort shield is off? Have you tried opening something in google wallet? (where it sets brightness to max)

It's a pity. This was going to be in my 7 year plan this phone. Can't see it now. What on earth were Samsung thinking? The one thing you could rely on them for was the display and went and f'ed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 matrixguy

Buds FE shipped, can see the different tracking id in order tracking !

🤨 the thing would burn the lids off ya. It's so much brighter than the 23U it's not even a competition. Whatever about people's comparison on the colours and the vividness . It's simply way brighter than the previous model. The slider has to account for how bright it is so the levels on the slider can match to the s23U. With it's 1750 nits versus 2500 the slider can't have the same positions...

My S23U and S24U held side-by-side have almost identical brightness, whether it's on adaptive or manual. Where I would expect the S24U to have an advantage is in direct sunlight, but I don't know if I'll get to test that before I get rid of my S23U.

On a side note, battery life seems good on the S24U. I have 9 hours screen on today, with over 10% left.

Actually I'd go as far and say they smashed it, just watched a few Instagram video reels there and the quality is superb on it. Genuinely better.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm being too picky. Believe me, I'd rather not send it back. Maybe there'll be a calibration update coming out.

I suppose I wouldn't mind a few more nits on the standard slider. It's all very well saying it'll burn me eyes when I go out in the sun but even when I manually slide the slider up to max indoors, it's not that bright. As I say, maybe fixable by an update.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just setting it up now and 1 thing that is REALLY annoying me that I can't figure out is enabling gesture control from the bottom of the screen, I used to have it like that on my S22 but the 24 appears to be insisting on having it from the sides which is really annoying, anyone know how to enable this?

I've turned off adaptive colour tone. Seemed to have improved a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

This is bugging me too but I'm starting to get used to the side thing.

Swipe from the left to go back (equivalent to swipe up from bottom left on S22)

Swipe up from the middle and hold to get the open apps (equivalent to swipe up from bottom right on S22).

Reddit saying they changed this to accommodate circle to search so unlikely to return to what was on S22.

The one where you swipe up in the middle for home, on the left for back, and on the right for recent apps (or vice versa)?

I believe they got rid of that, probably due to the new circle to search feature. I was surprised it still existed, probably haven't used it in 5+ years.

I believe they've made the home menu unhideable. Put circle search and added left and right swipe for assistant. All fixed. And probably coming to s23

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right, reddit if your friend sometimes :D

They've it removed, now it's swipe up for home, up & hold for running apps and from either side to go back, I'll give it a go.

Spent the last couple of hours setting up, now I know "new car smell" and all that but coming from the 22 Ultra this thing is lightening fast. I do kind of miss the Edge, I being blown away by the S6 Edge when I saw it at Mobile World Congress for the first time but the straight lines are good.

On a side note, the noise cancelling on the FE Buds is amazing, coming from Pro 2 I wasn't expecting much, just to throw them in a drawer but I can see these being used a lot.

• Advertisement

That has been the default android gesture navigation for over 4 years now. It's actually decent enough once you're used to it.

Advertisement