Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ian Bailey RIP - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Zola1000

He has that area mapped from his trip to Alfie lyons as well. But something in his ego was egging him on if he did act on impulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

That's not a conspiracy theory. The Bandon tapes are evidence that the conversation about alterting statements occurred. It's an irrefutable fact. Unlike much of the conjecture and nonsense you're posting on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

• Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Who has said he couldn't have covered it? I think you are mostly arguing against a strawman there.

It is a highly implausible scenario that he would - after a long day of activity and a night's drinking - in the middle of a December night head out on foot to a property several miles away, on country roads or across fields, either on the off chance of a fling OR sustained by some drunken impulse that lasted for an hour at least? That is a long time for a drunken impulse to be sustained, through physical activity.

That's my take on it and the objection to the scenario I see from others on the thread also.

Also have pointed out that when accounting for how long it would take him to do it, to remember he had had a long day \ night, drink taken, it was dark and not base timings on how long it would take you to do it fresh in daylight.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bailey asked for the same, a fresh investigation. Yes or no? So by your logic does that make him innocent?

Was Daniel co-operative with the Guards or not? Yes or no? What I read is that he stonewalled the Guards and was not co-operative. If you have evidence to the contrary do share.

"Talking absolute rubbish" appears to be your deflection response for when your own arguments are turned against you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

No conjecture. I`m quoting what`s already in the public domain. It is obvious that much of the statement from her arrest that Jules disowned in court in 2015, was in fact confirmed by her to be correct in her 2017 RTE interview.

Just on this. Can I ask.

Is there evidence he was day drinking on 22nd, he did leave pub at 12 midnight and drove home. I know any significant amount of drink taken would just have seriously hindered any decent efforts to leave no trace behind. But eitherway was he not sober and furthermore would be comfortable in knowing the distance considering he was on that route numerous times knowing Lyons .

Again we are saying impulse..but maybe it was scratching at his ego for months or year to go there and he was determined...it wasn't acting on spot..he had thought about going there..knew she was home..

I know it's too much speculation. The case is severely damaged in so many respects to make accurate assumptions of how this may have unfolded.

There is no information I know of re: day drinking. Between the turkeys and trees that doesnt leave time for a session in the pub during the day. We cant rule out nip from a bottle in a drawer at home but that is total speculation.

And I wouldnt assume because he drove home he was fully sober either. It was 1996 and drink driving limits were looser. He was in the pub for 3 hours though I think I read something about him getting a Guinness to finish at home.

It is still acting on an impulse in that moment at 3am or whatever as in you could not say at 6pm the day before he had planned to do it (assuming he did it which I strongly doubt).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The case was effectively closed. Bailey was named and most idenfitied with the case. The gardai had no other leads, and no other hard evidence to go on.

Job done if Daniel was guilty, time for him to move on with his life.

Nope instead Daniel criticizes the gardai and the investigation. His good friend Jacques Chirac demands the case be reopened and a more thorough investigation done.

Now do you seriously think if Daniel was guilty he'd want the gardai reopening the whole thing and potentially finding new leads or dna evidence which points towards him? Of course not.

So again there is a huge hole in your logic, not for the first time.

As for Bailey looking for new investigations, the guy was a bone fides nutter determined to keep himself in the news.

His motives and Daniels were completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

8.4 kms approx. round trip. No bother to the long striding Ian even in a (mildly) inebriated condition. The unaccounted for time period when his whereabouts and movements could not be verified was four hours at least.

• Advertisement

Yes that day of 22nd I knew was fully around the turkeys and trees and guess most likely could have alcohol at home prior to pub and after pub.

In terms of reports of bailey on road on numerous occasions drunk and shouting ...was that prior to the murder or after...are there any facts to these sightings with gardai or his behaviour outside of actual case.. separately..

Was it also case if taking in kilfadda bridge this was further away from two houses in question or did road at kilfadda also could bring bailey home ..I'm just trying see if that possible sighing of Farrell could ever be true and he maybe have cleansed his hands there..again the distance if I recall maybe not be possible all in that time ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭tibruit

It was interesting that Bailey recently said that Sophie had parked her car on Ardmanagh Road on the Saturday. I think it had been speculated that she would have parked in the Church car park. There is no question that he was on the street at the same time as Sophie that day. One witness who knew them both said that she saw Bailey across the street at the same time as Sophie exited Spar. There is also no doubt that Sophie entered Marie Farrell`s shop. Farrell didn`t know Bailey at that time. This is from Farrells statement dated 22/1/97.

"It was so quiet. Sophie came in. At the same time there was a man standing across the road. He was watching her. She left and turned right up the Ardmanagh Road. As she did that, the man who was across the road, he also walked across the street and he went up the Ardmanagh Road."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Farrell is not a credible witness but that bit about the spotting by the shop was covered in one of the documentaries and in the podcast so it seems to hold true. Maybe it is not a surprise Bailey would be hanging around the town though. He was a narcisist, I'm sure he was boppin around the town most days. He seemed to be in Bantry quite a bit the last few years too.

Having said that, someone of that profile would also likely gravitate to anyone they deem to have notoriety, which she seemed to. At least relative to West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Zuko123

Just saw the netflix doc and one thing they didnt really go into was why Sophie was in West Cork only a few days before Christmas,Ive read before that she went to get the central heating fixed? Seems a strange thing to do as she did have a local woman who keep the house clean and had keys,she couldve gotten her to arrange that.Just seems a strange time to be going to an isolated spot in another country.Also the fact that the Husband never came over to identify the body or ever came to Ireland at all seems totally strange aswell.

Did she have a lover in the area,did the Husband know about it? I mean in a small area like that its hard to have a secret lover unless the fella lives close by and knows a way to sneak up to the house without being seen by anyone.

Find her reasons for being there then and we might have some chance of understanding what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Everyone is a bullshitter except Bailey to some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Always does

Claimed jules murdered Sophie the gardai believed she did because she was arrested for murder. Wouldn't let it go.

Turns out on cork podcast the ex DPP says the arrest was likely unlawful cos she was never questioned about the murder after being arested for it

They were only trying to get to bailey

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭sugarman20

Right so this is what happened:

He leaves the pub and goes to bed at 1:30

Gets up at 2:30, walks 4.7k in the cold over to her house

Murders a woman he barely knew in a very violent fashion

Walks back 4.7k and goes to bed

Gets up a few hours later and rocks up to the crime scene with scratches on his hands and forehead and full immerses himself in the aftermath of the murder. Chatting away with the guards and the likes.

Is that plausible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Check your distances there?

Is it plausible that an innocent men's gets his partner to provide a false alibi

The case was effectively closed. If Bailey was the culprit, he had gotten away with murder. A reopened investigation brings with it the risk of him going to jail.

Either your 'logic' applies both to Bailey and Daniel or neither.

And noted, you were completely unable to offer up any evidence that Daniel was co-operative with the investigation when the Guards were seeking his assistance.

• Advertisement

There is nobody on the thread who claimed Jules murdered Sophie. Nobody. I didn't see any such posts. If you state otherwise, go back and find the post where that is claimed or accept this is your own misinterpretation and strawman. Otherwise, it is plain your are making claims without any basis, and therefore without merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Check your distances there?"

Distance checks out to within about 500mtrs, maybe he be staggering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

No reason he couldn't walk 50 minutes there and then 50 minutes back. This whole walk thing is one of the worst excuses. What point are people trying to make by bringing it up? It seems like its only the "he couldn't have walked miles therefore he didn't do it" camp.

Nope.

Even less so, when you add that:

Despite being scratched at the scene, leaves no trace and doesn't take any steps to conceal them when talking to Guards at the murder scene the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Could be explained by him thinking that him being there is adding credence to the theory that he didn't do it. He's also getting some knowledge about what is going on. Hes a "reporter" too so he could have though it would look suspicious if he wasn't there. Plenty of reasons why he would have went and none far fetched.

He could have gone and wrapped up to cover the scratches, hat, glove scarf, it was December.

He could have taken to bed with "flu".

I've seen people argue it was suspicious he was there. I've seen other people argue it would be suspicious if he wasn't there. It therefore does not and cannot be positive proof towards his guilt when either action is used in that manner. This is just 'reasons' applied with reverse logic to support a pre-ordained conclusion.

Can you find us the posts where someone says literally he couldn't walk it? Like it wasn't possible?

It has been pointed out to you multiple times that's not what people have said.

And could he walk 2.5 miles it in 50 minutes, at night, after coming home from the pub and a long day? And on the way back, after a supposed violent rage murder? The timings are dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭chooseusername

22nd Jan? Hadn't Bailey grown a bit then after she was outed as Fiona?

Anyway she's some lady to be able to see the Ardmanagh road from her shop.( or did you just make that bit up yourself?)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There was blood found on Sophies shoe that wasn't hers, they have Baileys full profile, DNA, Blood, Hair.

At the risk of stating the obvious here. That should have been the starting point for the cold case review.

Jim Sheridan has asked that very simple question and has got no answer.

Or is Senan Baloney going to come out and tell us a "source" confirmed the shoe was tied to the gate that no one could find but turns out it was recycled.

It is clear as day that guards tampered with the evidence that would have cleared Bailey as a suspect and the dodgy evidence they had was flimsy at best.

I wonder will the report on the corruption in this case that was deemed too top secret to release ever be seen?

Or will the cold case review team get a look at it at least.

• Advertisement

A minor point - I don't think it was confirmed as blood. Just a 'sample', could have been saliva or some other bodily fluid.

But yes, it wasn't matched to Sophie or Bailey.

It was also noted that the evidence bags were open and not sealed, which is a concern if evidence is now rechecked with very sensitive touch transfer DNA technology.

Advertisement