Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭ofcork

Apparently elverys have bought more buildings on maylor street as well all to be part of the redevelopment.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Is Rebel coffee still a thing? I know the one in French Church street is rebranded with a new owner but are the other stores gone now too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Krispy Kreme has been denied permission to retain the changes to the premises which were made without planning permission.

https://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/2342457/0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

After the initial hype I don't see much going on there. I think the city centre is the wrong spot for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Noticed reno works in old fish wife on McCurtain last night - found this - new place opening up soon !! Seasoned Cork chef hopes Leesiders will back new gourmet Fish N'Chip takeaway - Cork Beo

• Advertisement

Any time I have walked by during the day, it has been empty. I noticed the other day that the "grab and go" shelves were empty - as if they quit putting out the prepackaged glazed donuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭thomil

Probably doesn't help that Krispy Kreme doughnuts are available in Tesco, at least the one here in Ballincollig. Then again, I've walked past there quite a few times on weekends in December, and there was always at least something going on in there.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It needed coffee as well I think to make it better. But the logic of the council is baffling. I was in town at lunchtime, the place is shocking looking. Loads of empty units, the place is shabby out, and the only places that seem to be opening are vabe/phone repair shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I thought Krispy Kreme serves coffee and even milkshakes? The couple I've been to in Dublin do...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Council rather see any empty unit than bending planning rules. I understand planning rules need to be respected but the city centre is absolutely dying.

• Advertisement

What did they actually do without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

KK isn't much of a loss but I do think the Council need to revisit the plan for Patrick's Street. A few more decent cafés, restaurants or bars would be great. Hard to get it right though without allowing more fast food joints on our main street (see O'Connell Street in Dublin for an example of how to get it wrong). It was also a pity that the recent apartment redevelopment was refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hard to comprehend the Council's vision for Patrick's Street includes rejecting planning for any F&B/Hospitality outlets.

Such a shame.

Would rather see units filled than vacant and crumbling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Everything by the sounds of it and that will just rile the council, looks as though they just went ahead

In pursuance of the powers conferred on the Cork City Council by the Planning and Development Act 2000 it is hereby decided that Permission and Permission to Retain is to REFUSED to: Krispy Kreme Ireland Ltd. c/o Pat Murphy (Agent WCS) , Unit 4 Block 4 , City North Business Campus , Stamullen , Co. Meath K32KC65 for the developmen t of land, namely: For planning permission and retention planning permission for the following: (1) Retention of change of use from previous retail to cafe with internal seating for sale of food and drinks for consumption within and off the premises. (2) Retention of shopfront and signage. The proposed development al so includes all associated internal 'ancillary works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

Fail to see how this was acceptable and new signage is in breach of x,y,z

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I think councils sometimes have small man syndrome and love to think they can wield power over large big bad American corporations and will use contradictory means to do so. For example, allowing Irish businesses such as Centra or Gino's to sell takeaway coffees and treats from Patrick Street but not allow Starbucks or Krispy Kreme to do the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I see that Sultan's on McCurtain Street is gone. Not sure when that happened.

Well, tbf - was the Porter signage there before or after the x, y, z regulations you cite?

I thinkk the issue is that both KK and Starbucks went ahead without planning permission and the Council have a reputation of making a point...even to the detriment of the street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

But they pick and choose.

Reported this hideous signage on French Church St three years ago as unauthorised and they still haven't taken action despite several requests for updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭PreCocious

Looking at the way Starbucks was replaced by a gaudy garish Centra it could be asked if permission depends on whether the business association members have competing interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,475 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Small Bishopstown Dunnes seems to have got a nice update!

In fairness all the centras have a standard colour scheme I think it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭snotboogie

A few of the ones in Dublin City centre tone down the garish design; Dame street and O’Connell street are two I can think of that don’t use the bright colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭supereurope

It's absolutely horrible. I was in the city with my sister recently, she parked in Paul Street, and the car park was so grim. Rundown, lifts broken, a menacing feel to the place. It was only 11am on a Thursday morning but my sister said she would have felt nervous had she been alone. It doesn't get an awful lot better once you get down to the shopping centre. It really is a time warp to 1985 and needs knocking.

I only found out recently that it wasn't always called Paul Street SC, it opened as "City Park Shopping Centre." Being the first multi-story in Cork was quite the novelty.

Merchant's Quay isn't a whole lot better, mind. The 1st floor is the very definition of a dead mall, with only a handful of shops open. Kylemore, Peter Mark, Vision Express and others all long gone (there's a post elsewhere from 2013 about how dead the 1st floor was even then.) The Dunnes reopening has helped, but as soon as that reopened, the SuperValu shut. The days of MQ being a thriving shopping centre are gone. If M&S ever leave (and that's something that wouldn't surprise me post-Brexit), it'll kill the ground floor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was in Paul Street on Tuesday, I was surprised to see they're actually replacing one of the broken lifts. So that's some sort of progress.

Re. Krispy Kreme, it really feels like the council or whoever makes the decisions wants town to be solely a shopping venue. There's nothing else to do in town as it is like. No joint up thinking or an obvious plan on what the future of town is...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,150 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Probably rotten with vested interests and nod and wink arrangements. Who are KK only a "blow in".

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Same with Spar. They all use gold or silver coloured metal signage. Looks great. Even the new Tesco Express on Charlemont Street has gold signage. Meanwhile Patrick Street gets plastic, garish signage. Spar actually replaced theirs with new silver signage for a few days, but changed it back to plastic for reasons I can’t ascertain

Planners refused the retention on that in 21' but enforcement has beenshocking, as you say, still there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

All the multi-storey car parks are run-down and underoccupied. North Main Street is even worse than MQ and Paul Street. MQ has never really thrived. The model of a city centre indoor shopping mall coupled to a multi-storey car park is obsolete. Other cities in Europe are repurposing these legacy car parks into multipurpose venues for artists, markets, leisure activities. But they are horrible structures really and hard to redeem.

Advertisement