Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Post edited by saabsaab on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm not quite sure how you could scratch someone through gloves in such a way that it would still look like a scratch.

As a kid, my family owned a holiday home down the country with a small bit of land which we had planted. I know the scratches you get from handling pine trees (both cutting them and climbing them. I don't honestly know how you'd replicate that kind of scratch through a set of gloves.

In addition, bailey's hands were checked over by a dermatologist a few days later and they found nothing worth noting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Red circle Sophie's house.

Red arrow pump house.

Blue arrow body found

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Thanks for this!

Who were the Richardsons?

Was the main gate the only pedestrian and car access point for all 3 houses?

Is there a more direct way Sophie could have ran to the gate, rather than using the road? It looks like a lot of thick hedges are there so it would be difficult for her to get past them.

• Advertisement

I read that Ms Helen suspected that Alfie had used her bath when Sophie was away and the water supply had stopped. Also

'There was also friction between Sophie and Alfie… over the gate to the drive. I did get clarity that Sophie liked the gate to be kept closed and Alfie liked it kept open. Where Sophie’s body was found. Gate open.  Alfie liked the gate open….. Easy access for visitors.'

Doesn't paint a harmonious relationship

"Why do you think the killer went back to the back door and left a smudge?"

It doesn't have to be the killer left the smudge.

It could have been Shirley Foster or Alfie Lyons went close enough to the body to investigate, it was a very bloody scene.

It could have been the first Gardaí on the scene checking the house, the scene wasn't really preserved until Det. Pat Joy arrived at 1pm.

EDIT;

Garda Pat Joy arrived at Noon.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭tibruit

They had a holiday home there but weren't there at the time. Could be someone else was?

So she was up, dressed and about for the morning. Why didn`t she put on any socks? Middle of winter. Tiled floors. She was a hardy soul then.

• Advertisement

“So she was up, dressed and about for the morning”

Read again.

Still....you`d like to have the old socks on for the cold floor. Doesn`t make sense that she didn`t have them on if she was up and about having breakfast and washing up. You might not bother with them if you were just pulling on the boots to answer the door in the dark or perhaps make a run for it because there was some roaring lunatic outside threatening to come in after you.

That piece don`t make it so. I don`t recall Josephine Hellen ever saying that the relationship between Sophie and Alfie was "fractious". I do recall her saying that they were friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Neither Alfie or Shirley touched the body, unless they were lying.

You'd hope the police would know better. The blood was dry by then anyway so less likely to transfer but not impossible.

Anyway it's just an assumption the killer made the smudge, it could've been Sophie or someone else.

I was just curious to your opinion. You seem knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 irishspiderplant

I have to admit that after reading an article from the Irish Mirror posted upthread I am a bit gobsmacked by this bit of info:

‘Gardai are also looking at the relationship between Sophie and a male friend whose wife was extremely jealous.’

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/garda-trace-french-speaker-scratches-28729258.amp

I’ve done a lot of reading on this case and this is the first time I have EVER heard about an apparently real instance of jealousy between Sophie and another woman. 

It happens to tie in with the theory that I am gravitating towards more and more, that Sophie was killed by a woman. The amount of injuries indicate both a very personal and very frenzied attack, in which the killer had to inflict over fifty injuries before resorting to the breezeblock to finish the job (which had the notable effect of destroying Sophie’s face).

There was no sexual aspect to the crime.

Tomi Ungerer was a friend of Sophie’s. She told friends she and the renowned artist were planning on working on a project together. 

Tomi Ungerer and his wife Yvonne were among the last people to see Sophie alive. But when did they see her? Yvonne says Sophie left the Ungerers at six pm, but Sophie had already been seen in the local pub at four pm AFTER leaving the Ungerers.

Did she in fact return to the Ungerers at some point in the evening? And that this is for some reason missing from the official timeline of her last movements?

Additionally her husband Daniel Toscan du Plantier said that Sophie in her last phone call told HIM that she left the Ungerers’ at half nine pm.

‘According to what she told me, she had returned home about 9.30pm, I suppose the Ungerers had kept her for dinner.’

Yvonne was the one who spread the story of Sophie being shaken by her vision of the ‘white lady’ that afternoon at Three Castle Head, which foreshadows death. 

The bottle of unopened wine found in a ditch nearby was a French wine you can’t get in Ireland but which is available in the French duty free. The Ungerers are French. 

There was an actual eyewitness account from a man at the petrol station in Skibbereen who saw Sophie with a man in her car, a man wearing an anorak. He was so tall that the top of his head touched the roof. He had his collar pulled up so you couldn’t see his face.

Someone mentioned that Sophie had no reason to disembark from her plane in Dublin as it was flying on to Cork after refuelling?

Except she did disembark in Dublin and was seen later that evening in Skibbereen with a mystery man in her car.

Did she pick someone up in Dublin? Someone she was giving a lift to down to the remote part of the south of Ireland where they both had homes? 

Here’s the petrol station guy’s account:

‘She caught my attention straight away because her looks were so striking. She was tiny, a very small woman.

“I filled the car with petrol for her. It only took £10 (Irish pounds) at the time. The man in the passenger seat paid for it through the window.

“The guards who I gave the statement to said that it couldn’t have been her as she was spotted in Ballydehob buying firewood close to the time I gave that day. We didn’t sell firewood at the time and that’s why I think she stopped there later on.

“Apparently, the man in question was no longer in the car with her.”

The garage owner added: “I’m 110% sure it was Sophie I saw that day. I have no doubt about it. I think that it’s very important that the gardai look into this sighting again.”

One thing that has always confused me about this is that gardai said Sophie couldn’t have been in two places at once. But Ballydehob and Skibbereen are less than fifteen minutes’ drive from each other. If anything the sighting of Sophie in Skibbereen at what the guards say was the SAME TIME as she was seen in Ballydehob pretty much confirms that it was in fact Sophie Toscan du Plantier that the witness saw in Skibbereen. What are the chances of a tiny blonde woman matching Sophie’s description being 15km away from a confirmed sighting of Sophie around the same time of day? She was clearly stopping at various petrol stations/shops on her way from Dublin to Toormore.

This means that there WAS a man with her in the car three days before her death.

So who was he?

Post edited by irishspiderplant on

here’s the article revealing that Yvonne Ungerer was a witness in 1997 who told gardai that Bailey discussed with her being seen on the roads of Toormore that night.

‘Ian Bailey discussed being seen near the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder scene on the night of the woman's killing and did not deny the sighting when talking with some people a few weeks later, according to a witness.’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/witness-claims-bailey-did-not-deny-being-seen-near-toscan-du-plantier-murder-scene-1.4762821

‘“I asked him, ‘what were you doing in your car down at the Causeway (near Kealfadda Bridge) and he replied ‘no, no, there was no car’ but he didn’t really elaborate on that,” Ms Ungerer said in her statement to gardaí on April 16th, 1997.”

she continues:

”I asked him what time that was and he said it was early in the morning – I think he said around 4am – this would have been the night of December 22nd, 1996, into the morning of December 23rd, 1996,” Ms Ungerer told gardaí in her statement.

“He did not say whether he was walking or driving, nor did he specify where exactly the water or causeway was. I said, what were you doing there? And he said ‘I suppose I was washing the blood off my clothes’ – I felt that he said that in a half joking way.”

also this:

"In court, in 2007, Ian "vehemently denied having told a West Cork friend, Yvonne Ungerer, that he had had a dark premonition as he drove home from Schull on the night of December 22. He denied having said to her: "These premonitions usually come true."" (Irish Independent Feb 16 2007)"

(So is Yvonne the source of widely repeated stories that concern BOTH the two main players in this tale, in which they each had ominous premonitions on the literal day/night of Sophie’s death?)

more:

in 2015 Yvonne told investigators she thought but couldn’t be sure that Bailey told her he had met Sophie on a ferry to Cape Clear once. She never mentioned this any time before 2015.

Except there is cctv footage of her at Cork airport after 2pm. alone.

Okay I’m mistaken. She flew into Cork.

just because she was seen alone at the airport doesn’t mean she couldn’t have picked up someone in Cork?

Whatever the case, by the time she reached Skibbereen on her drive south that day there was a man in the car with her.

No source forthcoming for the "fractious" quote then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,245 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There wasn't a man in the car with her.

That has been completely discarded, I think the witness could not even verify the correct date he saw her or whether the car was the same make or colour.

This thread is turning a bit daft, with people making up their own facts,

Stuff like she got off the plane in Dublin and traveled down to Cork with a man, or that the killer went to the house to use the phone.

Also where are people getting this information that there were breakfast items in her stomach, implying that the time of death was the morning?

I always thought an accurate time of death could never be established because of the length of time her body was left out and the delay in Dr Harbison getting to the location.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Obviously I am just speculating as to how a man ended up in the car with her.

if the sighting of the man in the car has been debunked I’ll accept that. It sounds like Sophie to me, particularly as Sophie herself seems to have materialised a few miles away around the same time of this sighting. Buying petrol in Skibb, then stopping fifteen minutes later at the petrol station in Ballydehob. It’s a logical sequence of sightings of her on one of her last days.

Getting the make of car right is not as important as getting the person right. It sounds like Sophie to me

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

People are not making things up. They are referencing information cited in the case about the media. Now the information may have been superseded, it may not be true and can be challenged on that basis - but that doesn't mean the poster made them up, or it is their own invention.

Similarly there are claims in the media that:

Harbison's autopsy noted that the remains of a recently ingested meal of fruit and nuts were found in du Plantier's stomach.

That is where the 'breakfast items' reference comes from, this seems more like a breakfast meal than one taken late at night. But you could argue that it is something someone might have with a glass of wine at supper, if the fruit was say apple.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

They could have picked up blood without touching the body.

The first Gardai at 10:40 said some blood appeared wet. The doctor half an hour later also said it appeared redder in colour, this was an hour after Shirley had first seen the body.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Out of curiosity, was any reason even given as to why the German man, Karl Heinz Wolney, (who lived closer to Sophie than bailey, was also drunk and had no alibi) was not given the same level of attention by AGS? He returned back to Germany shortly after Sophie's murder and told a friend that he had done something terrible and couldn't live with himself - and soon afterwards killed himself.

If I'm not mistaken KHW was playing in O'Sullivan's in Crookhaven that night and we also know that Sophie was there!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I assume him being in Germany is a main reason why AGS didn't pursue it.

Hard to separate truth from rumours... At the time of her death Karl denied knowing Sophie.

Also, I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread...

The West Cork podcast said they could find no trace of him telling a friend he done a terrible thing, it was speculation based on gossip or word of mouth.

Some more info in this article:

A short time after Ian Bailey was arrested for the first time in February 1997 over the murder, Wolney sadly took his own life. The friend who he confessed to is now seriously ill and passed on the information to authorities. Wolney made a statement to the gardai at the time but always denied ever seeing or knowing Sophie.

https://www.buzz.ie/news/irish-news/sophie-west-cork-murder-suspects-24364066

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• A lot of people take breakfast cereal for supper. Snacking on cereal is very commonplace at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭tomhammer..

Probably because he didn't act suspiciously, have arms covered in scratches and provided a false alibi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'd say it's more an Irish thing than a French thing

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Advertisement