Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I would say the problem here is the likes of Gaybo and Wogan started at the bottom, learned their trade, studied others and so on and gradually evolved into top class radio broadcasters who were actually getting better with age.

Tubridy in contrast was handed everything in RTE and never had to learn how to be a proper radio broadcaster. And its now starting to tell.

Without being too personal I really don't think he has a voice for radio. His cadence and tone is all over the place, fast, slow, high, low, whispering, shouting and often in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Unpopular opinion but I quite like his show. Lots listening in from Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Amen to all this I agree wholeheartedly and fully with you -tobefrank...

And ole Hilda Ogden earlier impressed me with the bang-on comment: "That is what made the Giftgrub piece so funny. 'Finish your sentences, Ryan' 😁 etc.

I think it takes quite a skill to appeal to two different audiences simultaneously. And he simply doesn't have it." - whatever opinion is on myself or my own skills I can concur that they are two very different audiences. The Irish one traditionally more easily offended and sensitive and one daren't do edgy or double entendre. Whereas the UK one very quick to turn off anything that they don't like (!!) e.g. "turn that t***er off put on Absolute... / Radio X / Vernon Kay" I hear them cry...! You can have all the horsey type females in from a run down the country / doing ironing i.e. outside of Co. Dublin listening - it won't make a blind bit of difference to the JNLR of 102.2 FM, (meanwhile in the 64+million population TSA UK DAB's getting rescanned and alternative 10-1 midday listens are being sought out and discovered daily. There are dozens upon dozens of stations of all genres and formats from which to choose. Ken Bruce and Vernon Kay are both class acts and have solid audiences in this timeslot on GHR + BBC R2 that will not be swayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Given that probably 95% of all the calls he's taken have been from Ireland, you'd have to assume that most of his listeners are tuning in from Ireland, which doesn't bode well for his U.K listenership figures....

When will the first reasonably accurate listenership figures be available does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Most of his calls wouldn't necessarily mean there's lots listening here. I haven't heard his show anywhere since he started.

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Q102 is a local radio station. So it's highly unlikely huge numbers are tuning in online around the country. He might have a few loyal followers who tune in everyday. He probably has the Q102 listenership who have the radio on in the van, or the shop or wherever. But it won't be huge numbers and it won't be nationwide.

According to Noel they'll be huge numbers...

lots of momentum, lots of buzz, lots of demand...... RTÉ would be mad not to snap him up for €300k before the BBC pounce...

• after name dropping he just told us he wasn’t name dropping. Heard it in a waiting room, I don’t actively listen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I tuned in 5 min ago for the 1st time ever.

Heard promos, etc then song, then Tubs comes on to talk to a woman in Wicklow. Asks what part of Wicklow specifically. And then she goes on to tout her pet business. And talk about how the weather was rough in Ireland.

I could just imagine folk in London and the UK saying "where the f%&= is Wicklow".

Then another song.

It just appears that this is like a lot of other UK stations I'd hear on British DAB radio. Loads of adverts, songs, and a presenter speaking waffle for a few minutes between them all just to link to the next song or advert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Is Q102 not part of the greater Dublin region or is it just Dublin?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Jez, if the last 10min is anything to go by, this is terrible stuff.

Played 2 songs back to back, came back and gave another plug to another company, fake laughed with the crew, then off again for more adverts.

I'd say he would speak about 30sec for every 10min of the show. Senior hurling indeed!

I don't see the point of a presenter on these types of shows at all. Just play songs and adverts, a machine could do that 24/7 without needing a wage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I like easy listening which is why I like Q102. I switch away from it, for the duration of his programme.

I'm not a fan of programmes that people ring in to, anyway. And I never listened to him when he was in RTE, so I'm not starting now.

To give Virgin a tiny bit of credit, at least they are playing Michael Jackson.

Can't remember last time I heard him on irish radio. Appears no-one here wants to potentially offend anyone by playing one of music biggest selling stars.

I'm out, this is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭yagan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't see the point of a presenter on these types of shows at all. Just play songs and adverts, a machine could do that 24/7 without needing a wage.

Yet again, in their hayday, the Simpsons got it spot on:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Actually, Irish Radio plays Michael Jackson quite a bit. Coincidentally, as I type this, WLR FM in Waterford is playing "Beat It".

Pop "Michael Jackson" into the Song Title filter field here: https://irishradiolive.com/playlists and you'll see all the instances that he's been played on Irish Radio for the date range you select. 18 results just for today so far.

Interesting.

I haven't heard Michael Jackson on TodayFM, or rte radio in donkeys. Must just be unlucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,077 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You don't get paid for senior hurling.

* Though there's a suspicious among of courtesy cars and other merchandise about...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• I was in the doctor’s waiting room, so chanced to hear him this morning as that’s what they had on. Heard him say after a bunch of name dropping, “I’m not name dropping”

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

AFAIK they have a 2KW TX installation on Three Rock. Definitely would provide good coverage for Dublin and adequate coverage for surrounding counties. Parts of Wicklow could be a problem but I'm sure there are posters who could provide more clarity on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

It is almost as if he's reading the thread. :)

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Virgin Radio is formatted as Hot AC. I don't really consider Virgin Radio to be that and it's not a great example. Then added to that you have Tubridy who has never been trained for music radio including the operation of equipment. It seems that they are 'letting him at it'. He is attempting to do something that he doesn't have a natural talent for.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭TheBMG

<engage anorak mode>

Q is 5kw from Three Rock (and a low powered fill in transmitter around Balbriggan).

In common with most of the Three Rock signals it’s got poor coverage to the south.

The Dublin locals get scratchy past Newtownmountkennedy (with the exception of Nova who have a mast on Bray Head).

Heading North of Dublin is a different matter - you should easily get Q as far as Dundalk and west as far as Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭argentum

It must be hard for a man of his age to leave home and his kids and move to London to start again especially against the backdrop of what went on here on RTE

Anyone would try to make as much money as possible in any job so his agent did well , now its sink or swim for him

I've listened a few times and liked it, its exactly what I like to listen to when I don't have Nova on in work

If The mail don't like what he writes he'll be gone too but to have a go at him because Paul McCartney didn't recognize him is a bit silly, How many people say hello Paul to that man every day and he just says hello back

I actually think if he's dropped by Virgin then he'll come back and work directly with Q102 even though they are owned by the same company after all his much lower wages would go further over here for him

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If The mail don't like what he writes he'll be gone too but to have a go at him because Paul McCartney didn't recognize him is a bit silly

Was he not claiming to be great friends with Paul McCartney and he was just 1 of the many well wishers on his last Late Late. Surely if Paul McCartney knew him he'd recognise him. He's quite distinct looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

I don't think he has ever claimed to have any type of friendship with "Macca", as he insists on calling him.

Advertisement