Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave Civil Service circular 08/2023

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Do remember there's the option of the Shorter Working Year, too. IIRC you have options for 2, 4, and 6 weeks. Yes, it's unpaid, but the loss of earnings is spread over a full year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Caoimhe2

Hi I am currently in hse I have applied for the shorter working year for 2024 I have being approved

I am currently in the process of moving to civil service does anyone know will my shorter working year leave still apply or will I have to work for 12 months in civil service then reapply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭nhg

Mention it to HR when you meet them on day 1, or preferably mail them now. If the NSSO can handle a "late" application, and your new section head is ok with it, they may let you take it this year. No guarantees, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Started as tco back in early November ,5.5 days hols showing in powerpoint as have no day taking off yet and also have 7 hours flexi built up .I think my dept uses April 1st as new year ,by then would I have 11 days holiday built up .Will I be able to carry these 11 days until later in the year or do I have use them or lose them by April 1st all new to me!!

• Advertisement

Between start of November & end of March based on 22 days annual leave, you would have 9 days leave worked up, of which 8 will have to be taken by end of March……

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PotatoMaster

Im in the same situation but nobody in my office seems to know if we carry over any because we’re still getting emails from PO’s etc talking about what year we are in on the cycle but as far as I was aware there was no more year cycle with the new circular. But anyway I should only be carrying over 1 day from the 9 I got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

The cycle year still matters until the new leave year starts in April.

Those in year 3 have to finish it out under the old circular rules, so use it or lose it basically.

Those in years one or two, are moving straight to the new rules, so you can carry the non-statutory days.

Not everyone’s leave year starts in April, mine is 1st February each year.

I think they missed the golden opportunity to synchronise the Annual Leave year end with the end of the 3 year cycle.

The statutory leave per year is 20 right? so if you're on a standard 22 contract you carry 2 over if i'm understanding it correctly. But I don't understand how that calculates to how many I carry over if I only started in the last 3 months and started with 9 AL days till end of March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

It's done pro rata to a full year.

So if you started on 1 Oct, half way through the year, you would get 10 days statutory and one day non stat.

Starting on 1 Jan would give 5 days stat and 0.5 days non stat.

Your exact start date would determine the exact mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭countyireland12345

Would it have killed them to include an example of someone who started mid-year in the Circular? The new policy should take effect from the beinning of a civil servant's next leave year per their Department's e.g. 1 Jan, 1 Apr, etc. I started a few months before Christmas and have 13 days AL up to the end of March. There isn't a hope in hell I will be using the 10 "statutory" days before then, noting that there was no need to prior to 1 Jan 2024, but now there is and it's in the space of 3 months. I will use 7 or 8, and carry 6 or 5. Most people take holidays in the summer, not winter. The only good thing about the Circular is that it appears to provide for managers and staff to discuss and work through any carry over leave, which shouldn't be an issue if you have a normal manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not directly related to the thread but I don’t want to start a new one for what should be a straight forward answer…does anyone know if you can go into negative leave balance? My old department allowed it wasn’t a traditional civil service position.

Yes. See the circular (linked in the first post in the thread), section 8 - you can anticipate annual leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

Can this be enforced ? If it’s against the circular ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

It's not against the circular - the new annual leave circular only makes mention of SWY insofar as it impacts calculation of annual leave.

The applicable circular for SWY is still 15/2009, which has never prohibited this kind of restriction (and they have been used by some Depts for a long time).

It's unfortunate if these restrictions become more widespread, but hopefully there is some other reason behind this, and they won't need to keep it up (such as staffing issues).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is anyone have any issues with NSSO updating leave allowance after promotion? Have case pending with them for nearly 9 months 🙄

Advertisement