Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

He’s been in the squad for a long time. He is obviously the guy after JGP is done. He already starts for his province and is playing extremely well. I’m kind of struggling to see the difference between him and McCarthy here. Well, except i’d consider all three of our veteran locks to be better players than JGP.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You don't need to see the difference between Casey and McCarty. You need to see the difference between Casey and JGP, and to most objective viewers Casey is still a bit behind JGP in the way they influence the Irish game plan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

JGP had a poor start to the season, but was excellent in Europe and on a completely different level to what Casey was providing. It might have been a discussion point a month ago, but it very much is not now.

Is that really how sports work? People become fundamentally different players over the course of a month?

I agree that JGP will start but i don’t really get that line of logic. I also really don’t think he’s a good fit with crowley but that is to be determined.

I dunno. I think JGP will start but over the course of the last year i feel we have become more and more ball dominant. Casey suits that better imo. However, that’s just a feeling. I haven’t looked into the stats behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

True. I love Doak but that type of 9 is very unfashionable right now. Not sure what he can do to change that narrative.

Sometimes wonder what could have been if he stuck at 10 all the way through.

Gunne might have something to say about it too. I also love Blade honestly. He should be in the mix .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

JGP still has the 9 shirt for me. With a personnel-switch at outhalf, I'd actually apply your own logic against your point, @ulsteru20s, and argue that the Irish system should remain as consistent as possible elsewhere to facilitate the new man in such a pivotal position.

There's no denying that Casey is improving each year, however. And at only 24, I'd say he'll continue improving, and likely be starting 9 for Ireland in the coming years.

I’d love to have stats on this but has the system stayed consistent?

I feel like between NZ tour and the world cup, we started to be more ball dominant. I personally would say if that trend continues, JGP is no longer a perfect fit.

However that might reverse itself, or just have been a result of how games progressed.

Is that really how sports work?

Yes? In the highest level games of the season so far there was a clear difference between the two players. JGP controlled the games for Leinster and helped put them in the right parts of the pitch far better.

Also, at the end of the day, there is nothing Casey can do about his size which will always be an issue at the highest levels.

• Advertisement

If his size was an issue he wouldn’t have been in Ireland squads at all. There is no point grooming a potential successor at 9 who is too small. Especially when Doak is available who has all the size in the world.

To be more clear about this, if they had doubts about his size they probably would have waited until he proved it at his province before calling him up. Everything about his career trajectory feels like he is annointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Doak = Murray 2.0

Oh plenty of players get "annointed" but it doesn't always happen that way

Absolutely, it might not. What i mean is that i doubt they would have poured all those resources into him if they had serious doubts about his size.

Who else is knocking around at the moment as a 9 in that age grade?

Doak is really the only one and has struggled to get past Cooney and is playing at a province who are not playing great.....

I have liked Casey from day 1 and love his speed in the game but we need others to step up and challenge him. Murray after all went past everyone in the space of a few months and still is class

Why would they need someone at that age range specifically? There are tons of positions in the squad with no developmental 21 year old hanging around.

Murray is one of the best scrum halves in history and emerged at a time when he was exactly what everyone wanted. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Why not a fair comparison?

One minute you say he is anointed and the next you are saying it's not fair to compare him to another player. All while saying he should start ahead of JGP? Not really adding up is it?

It make sense to have a mix of 9s in the team, they have done similar with 10s.....

Because there might never be another 9 as good as Murray in Ireland lol.

I really don’t get why this is a tough concept. You don’t call someone up that early, put that much time into them, 13 caps, if you aren’t sure about their size. People stop growing at like 19 generally, and there is very limited mass he can put on that frame. If he is possibly too small for international rugby now, that was also the case at 21. You don’t spend all those resources on a guy you have fundamental doubts about, when that doubt is impossible to change. It would be incredibly dumb.

He got his first cap before he even started a champions cup game. That’s pretty annointed.

Edit: maybe his size blinds fans to how many signs there have been that he is the next guy in the eyes of the coaches.

If his size was an issue he wouldn’t have been in Ireland squads at all

This is not remotely true. You can be the second or third best option and still have limiting factors to your game. Hell, you can be the first choice and have limiting factors depending on what players are available.

They are not grooming a potential successor, he has been a pretty consistent third choice scrumhalf for Ireland for the last couple years because he is considered the third best scrum half available to Ireland. I'm not even sure he'll have pushed past Murray as the bench scrum half as it is a different skill.

There is no way in hell he was the third best scrum half in ireland when he was first called up. That’s nonsense. You call guys up and play them that early when they have significant upside.

Are there even any other examples of guys called up that early who were thought to be just potential squad players? Or had clear limitations that they are unsure about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Yea, that’s a good one. He has been done by injuries. Other than his injuries though he doesn’t have clear limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Yea, I would say the job will be Casey's and deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wouldn't say there's much difference in size between Casey and Park. A couple of inches? I'm at work and concave time to look up the bios! They're similar players. Casey has a bright future, imo.

He’s 4 inches taller. JGP is the height of an average man whereas Casey is legitimately short.

Casey has one of the best passes i’ve seen, on time, accurate and very fast. He also can pass extremely accurately over long distances. That’s his standout skill to me.

I would like to see Doak and Blade mixed in if Murray leaves/retires in the summer. Blade to me is basically always underrated especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

JGP is 5'9" and 83kg vs 5'5" and 75kg. Not night and day but one of them stands out as very small even in comparison to other outhalves.

I think Casey can still be a little headless in his play and his kicking continues to need work but he's a really good player. I don't think there's much doubt over who will be starting in the 6N but time is going to catch up with JGP in the next 1-2 seasons and maybe sooner. But his fitness is still superb. On the Larmour try last weekend, he clears the ball from the ruck on the far side of the field in his own half and three passes later, he's being taken down on the sideline on the opposite inside the 22. He's ahead of any other option in terms of how he reads the game and supports play.

Casey's kicking game has come along hugely from a few years ago but is still inconsistent also which is going to be a factor in test selection. I think if he made the 23 it would be a good step for him and then potentially get a start at home against Italy and/or Wales.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd agree with lots of that; I think his kicking has regressed this season, particularly box-kicks, which he seems to be getting too much on, which doesn't let the support compete. But in the previous 12-18 months, it was consistently excellent (and occasionally game-changing for Munster).

If he can get back to that level and consistency, the upsides of his game (imo, the best passer of the ball on the island) far outweigh the downsides for me (his size in particular).

Personally, would love to see him off then bench in a couple of games in the 6N's.

I think in at least one of those games they were purposely kicking them non contestable most of the time. Maybe didn’t want scrums.

Edit: based on them always being long by similar amounts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I've honestly wondered about that this season, tbh, and had this exact conversation with a friend just last weekend. It's been happening so often, makes me think it might be by design.

I did see a stat a few weeks ago that we retained possession from Crowley's kicking a high % of the time, so maybe we're using his kicks (cross-field or otherwise) for contestables, and Casey's for exits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Yeah Blade is unfortunate in that Casey is a similar player who came on the scene at the same time as Blade was really stepping up a few gears.

Imo it's only this year that Casey has actually become a the better player of the two. I'd have thought Blade was a few percent better, and had more experience. Casey had the benefit of being almost as good and looking like he has room to grow considering his age. Farrell was only going to have a few game to put mins into either of them before the WC so Blade loses out completely.

If Farrell had taken over a few years earlier I really think Marmion or Blade would be fairly well established in the Irish setup.

Advertisement