Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I am extremely interested in how this project pans out (as I am with most PT projects) but I do think ABP and by extension successive governments deserve massive criticism for the lack of delivery of a metro system in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Brightlights66

One option for ameliorating the very poor link between the Red line and the metrolink might be to build a station under the river, between Eden Quay and Burgh Quay.

Such a sub-river solution was approved by ABP for the metronorth project, at O'Connell Bridge, so this idea isn't in any way new.

It wouldn't be my ideal solution, as I remain unconvinced that Dublin can't do better at O'Connell Street itself, if a closer examination of the possibilities there were to be carried out - perhaps with some extra help re TBM flexibility, disruption management, etc.

A sub-river solution would, at a stroke approximately halve (i.e 'slash') the interchange distance between the metrolink and the Red line, over the current poor proposal. To 200-250 metres.

Of course, it would also increase the distance for an interchange between the metrolink and Tara Street to, maybe, 80-100 metres.

But that's small - we're being told in the official promos that a 450+ walk between the metrolink and the Red Luas is an 'easy' interchange, under the current plan.

As I understand it, the Red line is the busiest 'rail' line in the country. This should, thus, you'd expect, suit more people.

As an added plus, you certainly wouldn't need to knock down those apartments and get rid of the gym and the local swimming pool.

Mod: The Metrolink project design is complete and will not change in the way suggested.

If you wish to share your bright suggestions, then use the alternative thread for alternatives.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭prunudo

Do you have a vested interest that is effected by the current location of the stations? The plans are submitted, they won't be amended to the extent you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

Do you plan on draining the Liffey to install this station box? Ignoring the other clear problems with this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

I sense the ghost of St******wolf has been reincarnated in here. Seriously best ignored...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Brightlights66

As I recall, ABP gave permission for the sub-river station on the Metronorth plan, and I never remember any suggestions about the flow of the river.

Of course, I am happy to be corrected.

My recollection is that the plan for a sub-river station was approved, whole-heartedly, by ABP.

It got approval, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Simply moving the Abbey Street Luas stop 100m West, to the other side of OCS, would reduce the distance to 350m and remove the need to cross OCS.

This could be done at a tiny fraction of the cost of changing the current plans, which are with ABP, and building a different station under the river. Seriously, stop this nonsense.

One bug bear I just noticed with the OCS plans - the entrance on OCS is at the northern end of the platforms. I'm surprised they don't have two entrances at both northern and southern ends of the platforms.

Seems like a missed opportunity to maximise accessibility. Something like that could (maybe?) be a relatively simple change that wouldn't constitute a major change to the plans?...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Agreed. Not now of course but I would hope in the future that as many access points as possible to each station would be provided.

I think that's a now or never thing. We're not talking about a new entrance to a surface Dart station. It's a Metro platform deep underground.

Top left of the pic is OCS entrance. Bottom left heads out to Moore Street direction.

There's even a room labelled "Available Room" along the OCS side (top middle/right). Adding another stairs should not be overly complex. Hopefully this is the sort of condition ABP add to a very clear approval....

• Advertisement

I can't see that 'available room' being used for passenger access. Its down a single width corridor through two doors, not very good for moment of large numbers of passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That available room is in a staff area it won’t be used for passengers or the public

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This is one of those engineering constraints I think, another problem that has come about because of the aim of having smaller stations. Another entrance at that end of the station would require another set of escalators going down to the mezzanine, otherwise the utility of that entrance would be essentially zero. I don't believe that they could fit another set of escalators going down to the mezzanine level, there just isn't enough room, not without expanding the station a fair bit.

At the end of the day, it's an engineering challenge, something that could be solved if they put enough time and energy into it, but would it justify the increased price? On a project that has been designed from the get go to control costs, I'm just not sure.

I do want to point out that despite the above, I'm not really disagreeing with you, the lack of multiple station entrances is one part of this project that I really don't like. As much as I agree with them on designing the project to control costs, at some points I think that they've gone too far. My submissions in the consultations mentioned that there should be more entrances, but the plan is the plan now. I don't think that ABP will make any changes to the station layouts.

Tara Street and Charlemont both have two entrances to the Mezzanine level, then additional stairs down to the platform levels. Tara Street platform is 2m deeper than OCS and Charlemont platform is 3.5m deeper than OCS.

If you compare the images below, you can spot a clear void in OCS station, where the second entrance is placed in Tara and Charlemont. Clearly from the other stations, it's possible from an engineering perspective. It makes no sense they excluded this from OCS.

O'Connell Street:

Tara Street:

Charlemont:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sensible to have one entrance given the anti social behaviour issues around there whether intentional or not. We have to design this around the failures in the city unfortunately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, it's been so long since I've looked at all of these that I've forgotten the things that I've made submissions on. If I recall correctly though, I didn't actually complain about this station, I complained about SSG, but not this one. I guessed at the time that the location and future set up of the entire development kinda mitigated against a second entrance. The plan is for there to be a new street going from O'Connell St to Moore Lane, straight across the top of the station. This would have meant that any second entrance would have taken up the corner site, which I assumed had two things going against it, one being the fact that it would have been the wrong orientation for an entrance (you'd enter the build, and then have to immediately walk around the escalators in order to go down, as they'd have to face the wrong way), and two, the developer would never give up a corner site, at least not without an absolutely massive amount of cash changing hands.

The new road is not unfortunately not wide enough for an entrance to be placed in the middle either.

The Carlton site was chosen because it's empty and will be knocked. There is zero engineering reason to justify this. Charlemont is arguably more constrained with 130m between adjoining roads, Carlton site has 140m to work with.

Even in Glasnevin which is significantly more complex, there are two stairs down to the Mezzanine level, including a stairway going directly under the GSWR rail line.

OCS:

Glasnevin:

Tara:

Charlemont:

Just an FYI, it's not just the Carlton site, it's further up the street. Ultimately they have to negotiate this with the developer, and I don't think that they were willing to pay what would have been required by the developer. Agree that it's not engineering, but engineering isn't the only issue that can be raised. As I said, I don't like it either.

EDIT: Edited to clarify location.

Looking at the above drawings, they don't seem to envisage OCS Station as being a statement piece or even to get the passenger number compared to the other two.

Not a dig at your comment, but that would be a shocking reason to limit OCS to one entrance at the northernmost side of the platforms.

And you're right, the length of the development site is closer to 190m. If they can fit two entrances into Charlemont with 130m to work with, it's laughable they can't on OCS.

This isn't back to the drawing board stuff. It wouldn't impact track or platform alignment. It wouldn't impact additional buildings. That entire area is going to be levelled!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Non of the stations are statement pieces in the way Metro North had. It is all very practical and designed towards keeping costs low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Consonata

This is sensible. Spending millions and millions on station facades is what they did in New York with very little justification, so the politicians could have something to cut the Red ribbon on. Let the station develop organically should other lines make it necessary. The only "statement piece" station is Glasnevin, and that's warranted given we are building what amounts to nearly a second Connolly/Tara somewhere where it doesn't exist currently.

Just one last point on OCS station. The actual distance from the platform to Abbey Luas is ~540m, which could be reduced to ~420m if they added an entrance to the southern end of the platforms.

This is not a material change to plans - no track or platform realignments. No additional CPO for buildings. Plenty of time to plan such a change without delaying the overall project. This could be a simple condition to an overall approval from ABP.

Let's see what happens when oral hearings happen.

I will admit, the longer I look at that station, the weirder it seems. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall in those meetings, because I'm at a loss to explain those decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭cgcsb

As an aside it looks like most airports have their 2023 passenger numbers finalised, according to wiki it would seem Dublin is now the 8th busiest airport in the EU and the only one anywhere near the top 20 without rail access. Looking at the growth rates it seems likely Dublin Airport will jump a few places by the time metrolink opens especially as more mainland countries mull over restricting or banning internal flights in favournof high speed rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

We're one of the few countries who have very few domestic flights.

Also our population is growing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Don't get how we're still operating subsidised internal flights but somehow also setting climate targets

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The only PSO flights are Kerry and Donegal (and the islands). The reason being they are pretty inaccessible. We don’t subside the likes of Cork, Shannon, etc. as they are well connected by motorway and rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Dublin-Cork flights were long gone even before the motorway was completed. 20 minutes in the air, but with checkins, waiting on the runway and transport either side it was about 1h30+ and a lot of walking and standing, for three times the cost of the train. That train took an extra hour but was a lot less hassle. The bus was 4h+ in those days, but again, once you took your seat, you didn't have to move again until you arrived.

People often focus on travel times, and ignore the processes either side of that travel (another example: it's fast to drive to the city centre, but then you sit queueing for parking...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just before Covid, Stobart were really thinking of reintroducing Cork - Dublin flights. Not for the direct flight, but to link into Aer Lingus' route network.

I reckon it would have worked. Check-in in Cork, up to Dublin on the flight, through pre-clearance and onto the US. Nice.

Advertisement