Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,131 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The damage this government has done, we'll feel the ripples for years, decades to come

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I find it hard to believe that refugees are buying houses. There was a report on Tuesday saying that couples with a combined income of €80,000 a year cannot afford to take out a new mortgage in Ireland (and a situation that has certainly not been caused by immigration either).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

They don’t have to be buying houses - the rental market is also incredibly competitive at the moment, perfect time to add 150,000 people into the mix

Myopic doesn’t cover it

Easy to see that the cabinet are all home owners sitting pretty. Wouldn’t even occur to them to consider what are the knock on effects for the non propertied and those under thirty. No, what’s more important is demonstrating to everyone what a wonderful moral person you are (easy when there’s nothing at risk for you) and pontificate to all dissenters. Couldn’t be that they’re being sold short by their country, no, they’re all just horrible racists

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is the biggest issue really.

The country has been changed irrevocably by this misadventure over the last 2 years.

In reality what will happen next is those already here (Ukrainians or otherwise) will be allowed remain as long as they want at taxpayer expense, and when they have been here long enough, McEntee or her successor will seal the deal with a citizenship ceremony and puff piece on RTE thus making them our responsibility permanently. We've seen it happen numerous times already. I see no evidence of anything different in the future.

Meanwhile, communities which have had hundreds of people parachuted into their midst will continue to deal with the fallout of increased strain on housing, GP and hospital access, school places and all the other pressures that are an obvious (to all except those making the decisions) result of this.

The other result of this is the further polarisation and division of our society with the ongoing idiocy of calling anyone who questions the situation as "far right" - thank you America once again for exporting your social problems to the easily influenced!

We now live in a country where reasonable questions are ignored, misrepresented or demonised, and a Government seeking to formalise this arrangement with its imminent "hurt feelings" legalisation - McEntee once again!

But ultimately Ireland will never be the same, and while immigration and social change can certainly be a good and welcome thing, too much too soon - without planning, discussion or even logic - can be disastrous as we've now seen.

The problems we've seen are only the beginning. In another decade or so we'll be in the same position as countries like the UK, Germany or France. No I'm not clairvoyant, but I know that Ireland isn't special and we won't somehow magically escape the same outcomes - if anything they may well be worse given the distinct lack of quality in our TDs and their tendency to make a situation that much worse by not only repeating the mistakes of those others, but adding an "Irish twist" to compound them.

I did say several years back though that immigration would be the key electoral issue yet with the way we were heading, and that FG are even more dangerous in Government than even FF - which is why they're never elected on their own merit but as a protest vote, and only until they remind us why that is...... And here we are!

Our country has always been far from perfect - too limited by a "need" for approval or validation by our betters (whether it be keeping up with the neighbours or subservience to our "friends" in the EU), too parochial (rarely thinking beyond our own gate or immediate family), and too quick to hand over the reins (to the Church, then the EU), but at least we did previously have some level of input and control over the direction of things... Now we have overpaid TDs who forget they represent us signing us up for things we weren't asked about and which they have no mandate for, and a country falling apart in many ways while they do so.

Charity and welcoming others in need is all very noble and worthwhile... But not when it comes at the expense of those asked to support that generosity, and not when the consequences are so severe that the fundamental social contract is jeapordised in the process which is exactly where we find ourselves.

Unfortunately though, as I said at the start of this post, things are already beyond the point of return. Now all we can do is try to control the damage and deal with the changes that will inevitably result - most of which will unfortunately be negative as we've seen elsewhere.

The Ireland we knew is gone. The only thing we can do is remember how we got here and use our limited say in proceedings wisely over the next year or so.

I would agree that there are major strains on the rental market. But these strains have been around for ten years at least, including at a time when net immigration was at zero. Identifying demand as the problem in the rental market and not supply is a slightly bizarre way of looking at things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Last nightclub in Tramore, Waterford set to close and be converted into more hotel rooms. Hotel has been closed to the public for some time now with the majority of the previous bar/nightclub space already converted into rooms.

The Government would certainly like us to believe that it's all about supply and that if we build enough all will be fine!

That certainly has some truth to it, but it conveniently ignores the abject failure of Government to do so over the last decade (remember that many of the same TDs who were in power then are in power now), it ignores the fact that the Government have made the problem significantly worse by allowing huge amounts of property to be sold off to foreign investors for profit, it ignores the huge cost of building property in the first place now (wouldn't it have been great if they'd taken advantage of the reduced costs a decade ago as many countries do in the recovery phase to stimulate growth and improve infrastructure), and oh yes, you cannot simply ignore the effects of a huge and sudden increase in demand on an already broken market. That's not now it works.

To be fair, it doesn't stop Darragh O'Brien, O'Gorman, Varadkar, Martin and all the rest trying it anyway, but it's not working for them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Do we actually have to go round the houses on this again

Are you genuinely saying if supply is already majorly strained that massively increasing demand isn’t also an issue? Junior cert economics pop quiz - what happens when demand spikes while supply remains the same?? Price rises for everyone

It’s always the same line trotted out by you lot. No, I am not blaming the refugees for the state of our housing woes. But they do exacerbate those woes, that is a fact.

We should be increasing supply while constraining demand as much as possible. We’re barely increasing supply and not at all to the level required for the extra demand we’re actively importing. It’s actually so bloody dumb I can hardly believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Don't worry Delighted & Touched will be along in a few years to figure out where it all went wrong, but not before their palms are well and truly greased for pointing out the bleedin obvious as Mr Faulty might have said onetime😉

I'm still not sure how anyone can look at an oversubscribed rental market and come to the conclusion that demand is the problem and not the lack of supply. There's almost a touch of 'How dare these people want places to rent?' about such a stance - as bonkers as that sounds.

• Advertisement

I'll try again...

You're right that the supply issue needs to be addressed, but in most cases that takes time to do and in the interim, deliberately and actively making the situation worse by increasing demand (and thus also the cost) of/for things you don't have is the bonkers move.

Yet that's exactly what's happening.

It's simple economics and logic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭slay55

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

I see Helen McEntee is talking about expanding the list of safe countries and increasing fines for airlines where their passengers arrived with no documents.

Maybe they should stop these people been allowed to work after the 6 months up. This might stop the economic migrants and stop with the voluntary deportation orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Any fine against airlines have to be significant enough that the airlines face actual financial losses and publish the details of any airlines involved

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nowhere in that article does it say that most asylum seekers are coming from safe countries

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

there’s soundings of an election… they are getting ready. don’t care who gets elected at this stage except for O’Gorman and the greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauries wigs

The greens knew they had a few years to implement their DEI Marxism. In a sane country ogorman would be arrested for treason.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Maybe but we have Locals and Europeans in June so doubt before then

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

The Minister of Justice is to expand the list of "safe countries" in a bid to cut down on the numbers arriving here seeking international protection.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcentee-to-expand-list-of-safe-countries-to-cut-down-on-asylum-seekers-1580180.html

Some posters here must be absolutely gutted.

• Advertisement

McEntee and O'Gorman probably likewise - but it's becoming very apparent that the political parties are worried about the effects that the increasing protests and pushback will have on their chances in the upcoming elections.

Make no mistake, THAT is what is driving this change of tune in recent weeks - nothing at all to do with them coming to their senses!

But as I keep saying, we as the electorate need to remember this on voting day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

No it wouldn’t be before them. But wouldn’t be surprised if it happens in the Autumn.

Was looking at December stats there. Nigeria and Algeria are In top spots .

15% Nigerians, Algeria with 11%, then Afghanistan, Somalia and Georgia at 8%.

Hopefully they are all doctors and nurses to help out with the health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

Of those, only Georgia is currently listed as a safe country. It will be interesting to see which ones they change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 wolfie1968

What difference does it make. They still offer work after 6 months and don’t deport anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭Augme

The current advice from the DFA I'd that the threat.fron terrorism is high. To go from the to "everything is great over there" would be a fairly dramatic and sudden change.

Let’s bring all the terrorists over here then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Head of the hoteliers on Pat Kenny actually having the balls to say the Ukrainians staying in their hotels has been a massive bonus for hotel owners because of the money they are receiving.

Making money off other peoples misery and actually admitting it with glee. They must love Putin and hope he continues this war for years to come.

Anyway the numbers coming have reduced hugely because of the new rules but she thinks the ones staying in unsuitable places like halls etc should now be moved into hotels where room has become available since the numbers dropped.

Pure greed.

Anyway seems we will have loads more room for IPAs with the space being freed up so all this madness isn’t stopping anytime soon.

Advertisement