Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Touch up paint not blending in

• 26-01-2024 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Painted room recently. A few weeks later I needed to touch up a few spots. It's been a week now and they are not blending in. Anything I can try and really don't want to have to repaint entire wall!

Used same tin of paint and a brush to touch up. Originally done with a roller, would that make a difference? Read somewhere that temperature would make a difference, as was much colder when I touched up?

Thanks 👍

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

Probably best to give the 2 walls a quick coat again. It's always hard to touch up without it being noticeable. Was the paint mixed up in the shop for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭busterjones

Yep, F&B paint which was mixed up in shop.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I am guessing that you didn't stir and mix the paint in the tin enough before touching up. You have to give it a really good mix and make sure you're mixing right down to the bottom of the tin.

When you touch up a few weeks later the touched up bits will never blend in perfectly, but the difference should not be that stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I worked for several years in a panel beating / Garage workshop, and first thing we did each morning was to turn on the stirrers in the paint room, and they would turn on and off throughout the day. This was especially important when a new tin was opened. And for any painting job, the stirrers would be turned on manually for twenty minutes or so before mixing a color prior to painting. I know that hand painting and spray painting are two different things, but the basics remain the same. If I was hand painting interiors or exterior of the house, I'd put a stirring paddle on the drill, and run it in the paint tin for a good few minutes. When it's done like this, it will have a better match.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you give it a really good mix and paint over it again it will possibly look ok.

Worst case scenario you re-roller that 1 wall, it's probably a 30 min job max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd say you're right. Some of the darker colours are denser than the white base pigment and settle to the bottom and you get that effect at the top of the can when you leave it sitting up for a period.

A good stir and also try blend the brushstrokes into the surrounding area a bit better. Also when patching like this try brush in the direction of the main window or light-source in the room, that way you don't have the light falling across the ridges left by the brush-stroke and it all blends-in better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shovel_Knight

An old decorator once gave me the following tip: don't use a brush to touch up paint that was rolled on, use a piece of sponge instead. Soak it with paint and gently touch the areas that need to be touched up. It gives a much better approximation of roller texture

Advertisement