Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

But those free during the day are retired or parents with young children or people with disabilities.

The purpose of their visit is the seafront, the park with the playground, the forty foot etc for sea swimming, the library, most come by car to Dunlaoghaire.that is why the coastal mobility route is so unused during the week,the cohort who would use it are working not cycling enjoying the view.

Make Dunlaoghaire very difficult to get into and out by car and the people free during the day will go elsewhere, the town needs the money these people spend

The only, reason the vast majority of people go anywhere near Myrtle Sq is to access the shopping centre or the cinema, it never gets the sun so will be chilly all year.

Its like making a pigs purse out of a sows ear, even this year the Christmas lights were so poor in that area, it’s a place you want to leave asap preferably from a bus close by.

Genuinely can’t see what’s to be gained by removing the buses. iIts not as if we aren’t spending millions on Busconnects, some joined up thinking needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I don't know Maisie, but you seem to be conflating a number of unrelated issues together and mixing with a fair bit of whataboutery. I mean, what do manhole covers in Carysfort Ave have to do with access to a hospital?

BTW, how did you get on with your flights over the weekend? Didn't get caught up with any of the storms?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What has Skateboarders with Ghettoblasters got to do with it. , the chap is on some rant

I dunno, would prefer the manholes to be maintained rather than spending money on a square in the most unappealling part of DL.

Thats the point.

I mean do we even have working toilets on the piers that attract hundreds of thousands of people.

What about providing public showers near where hundreds swim every day, what about asking folks what they wsnt, I doubt it would be the installation of a giant yellow frame in front of dealz in dunlaoghaire.

All these public spaces become attration spots for anti social behaviour qnd its ideal for skateboarders.

It will also become a drinking spot, we have so much anti social problems in Ireland.

The Garda station in DL is a fair trek from Myrtle Sq, no way would i hang out there in the evening.

• Advertisement

No it’s not ideal for skateboards. The surface has to much friction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

A lot of folks work from home now, so even in the week you could get people out spending in the town and using the public spaces, If they are well thought out and appealing.

I was meaning more the weekend visitors though.

I would imagine most of the visitors to DL come by DART or bus, rather than car, as there arent that many places to park in DL.

Myrtle Square could become a destination if the area was traffic free and the pedestrianisation was succesful.

People who do want to drive can still get to the town, without driving through the main shopping street.

Myrtle Square will never become a destinaton, it doesnt get afternoon or evening sun and its dark in this country from Sept to March.

I actually think you dont travel to Dunlaoghaire much, no one is going to trek up to Myrtle Square from the seafront on a nice day.

The council need to get a grip on the empty buildings in DL, somehow or other get them back into residential use and not just social housing.

Stop wasting taxpayers money fluting around with squares beside Tesco and Living Streets nonsense, put in the work required to bring life back to the town.!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What's your problem with skateboarders Maisie?

• Advertisement

Yeah Maisie what's wrong with skateboarders? I thought you previously said that DL belongs to all citizens. Does that not include skateboarders??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Skateboarders and ghettoblasters...... firstly that's hilarious that you seem to still be living in the 90s, secondly whats wrong with skateboarders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I too find it funny, we want to bring life to the town but don't want to provide the open spaces to bring life to the town. Myrtle square doesn't have to attract people coming up from the seafront. Plenty of people go to the supermarket and/or do some shopping and might like to sit outside for a while in a public area or grab a coffee before/after doing the shopping. Some chess boards, table tennis tables (maybe requires too much space) or similar wouldn't be a bad idea. Anti social behaviour is a separate problem that needs a separate solution just like your manhole problem.

To bring life to the town you have to make the town pedestrian friendly.

Thats the point of living streets.

Myrtle Square doesnt need to be basked in sun 12 months a year to make it attractive.

Have seating installed, perhaps some weekly markets with heavy discount stall rates from DLRCC, similar to how the Peoples Park market works.

Sure, we should focus on derelict buildings also and the council should tax the hell out of those vacant properties ,but thats a seperate point and creating higher footfall through living streets will help make businesses in the area more viable anyway.

As long as cars are free to drive up and down Georges st, it will never realise its potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

a) The Council meeting of 14th March is being talked about. A report would have to be finalised and circulated to the Members about a week beforehand.

Given the volume of submissions and the complex issues arising, it may be that the Executive struggle to make that deadline.

It is also possible that the Council members defer a decision on the project until after the election in June.

b) I don't know how it could be possible without a having a double decker bus U-turn at the cul-de-sac that would be created outside the Hospital gate, which is what the implementation of this plan would do.

c) I don't know why it amazes you, the seafront is attractive and scenic, George's Street is a shaded main street, even in the height of summer. I agree with you about better tenants, but the Council has absolutely zero control over this commercial matter, and cannot make any guarantees about it. And in case people hadn't noticed, traditional retail is dying and hospitality is undergoing its own state of flux with the cost of overheads and the falling due of warehoused debt from the pandemic period.

An attractive outdoor space has just been completed at Myrtle Square. As I said above, George's Street Lower is heavily shaded and a bit of a wind tunnel at the best of times. The shops close on Sunday because its not worth their while being open. And at the same time, this proposal only seeks to remove the bus services from the heart of the town, further segregating it from the seafront. Go figure.

In my view, the only way to increase footfall, is to continue to vastly intensify new residential development at the heart of the town, including on the Boylan Centre site, and to expedite the building of the new primary school on the old Fire Station site at George's Place.

People debate the various hammer blows which impacted activity in DL town over this last 30 years, but I personally feel that the closure of 3 Secondary Schools, 1 Primary School and 1 Senior College, did more that any other to reduce that daily footfall of students and parents and the discretionary expenditure that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Never gets the sun....

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cobham

I disagree about Georges Street lower not getting sun. Is it not on a north/south aspect so sun shines directly upon it at midday? and two storey buildings do not create large shadows as sun moves around.

Its in shade most of the day, the furniture wont dry after rain and we sure get a lot of rain.

It wont be a relaxing spot, its a conduit to Tesco, Dealz and the cinema and very few will hang around, I mean its not as if looking across at a hospital carpark does anything for the visual senses, not when you could be looking at the sea.

And Im not sure what happened to the sunday market in DL, its moved from the peoples park to the space in front of the library, it seems to consist now of vans selling unhealthy food, does anyone know why it left the peoples park.

Its congested and unpleasant now and Tesco etc wont be happy if the route to their shop is blocked by a farmers market, that Tesco is always fairly empty, wonder is it making money.

It isnt (Myrtle Square) a relaxing spot at the moment becsuse it is surrounded by passing traffic...

It could be relaxing and the public realm could be vastly improved, once cars are removed from Georges St.

Tesco footfall doesnt enter the equation. Tesco doesnt own the town.

They may actually benefit from increased footfall anyway, but thats besides the point.

The market is still in Peoples Park, along the Park Road aspect. It contains most of the non-food stalls.

The food stalls moved across to the library as you say. So the market is longer now, but not as compact.

I believe it is still the same size overall but the crowds have been spread.

I think the reason was so that most of the park can be given back to the public, for kids playing etc, but without losing the market itself.

Best of both worlds.

• Advertisement

Thanks.

Why would they defer until June? So they dont have to suffer any political fall out from the decision?

Agree that the bus turn is a difficult one, if you were to close the bus access at the hospital.

I think thats why the road will likely be shut completley, if the plan does go ahead.

The sea is always going to be the main draw, but DL town desperatley needs some TLC and an opporunity to redraw the public realm can only be a good thing.

If you build it. they will come and all that.

Speaking of the sea, whatever happened to the DL beach proposal? I think years back they talked about creating a man made sandy beach which would obviously do wonders for footfall during late spring/summer and September.

Back on topic, but I suspect you are right that the council will reject the living streets proposal.

Disappointing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

Deferral until after the June election isn't possible. The councillors have only 3 options in March, approve, amend or reject the plan, and postponing isn't an option under the legislation. If it gets rejected, it's hard to see council management having the appetite to try again for at least a decade.

Yeah I'm inclined to think you're right, and I've said so above. What I mean is the approach that some Councillors may try to explore.

But right now, gun to the head on time and procedure, if its a choice between approve, amend and approve, or reject, its getting binned.

No, its runs NW-SE, so even in summer the NE facing side loses sun aspect early in the day and the street is so narrow that a shadow is cast relatively early.

On the other hand though, it does make the new Square a suntrap.

Thats Myrtle Square. Do you even know what this conversation is about?

The average width between façades on the street is 8 metres, width the average roofline height of 8.5 metres on the south side.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

It was claimed a few posts earlier in this very thread that Myrtle square never gets any sun if you had bothered to read the conversation yourself. That's the context.

I have been there in the early afternoon and its in the shade, all the buildings on the left side of the street towards Monkstown dont get the sun and people will always follow the sun particularly in our climate.

Now that DL has millions of euros to spend can we have clean public toilets on the piers and at all locations where people swim, this will make visits to these spots much more pleasant for elderly, others with incontinence issues and pregnant women.

I would like to see public toilets in the centre of the town too, that trek to the top of the old shopping centre is difficult if you need a toilet quickly or if you ate toilet training a child.

Plenty of space in Myrtle SQ for an attractive toilet block, maybe the old Argos could be converted, that would bring customers down there and if there bus stop home is outside even better.

Lets stop with prettifying the area and actually install the practical requirements first.

That square will become an outdoor drinking spot so you need proper waste disposall facilities and working toilets.

Not one more cent should be spent until these facilities are in place.

There should be a committment also that the area is cleaned every night and the place cleared so children walking to school dont have to walk past mess left behind by others.

Toilets will become a tourist attraction?

I feel our ambitions are in the gutter...

Pedestrianise and revitalise the street. Thats the main thing.

Your obsession with how much sunlight the street gets is not relevant.

But as Labre says, the council will probably reject the proposal and so our discussions are largely hypothetical.

• Advertisement

There’s clean toilets in Seapoint, 40 ft, Vico and Killiney. You know the places where people swim. I imagine that DL paths has some too

Living streets is a non council budget

Advertisement