Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,515 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

There's going to be so many rumours of what "the real reason" is behind his departure, but I fully believe Klopp when he says he just can't keep doing it anymore.

Aside from all that, I can't help but feel that the leadership group in the squad aren't going to let Klopp go without number 20. The hunger to win it will never, ever be greater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,978 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think if FSG were looking to sell the club they'd have done so before this announcement. Klopp was an asset in any sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭eigrod

Not just a legacy in terms of trophies, but in terms of a massive return in terms of wins, exciting, enjoyable football, top top signings and a hugely talented young squad bequeathed to his successor. Genius. We all have had such great nights and huge enjoyment over the last 8 or so years.

Anyway the insane theory I'm gonna go with the is that Thiago has actually been retired for 6 months and the next time we see him will be in a suit on the sideline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I just hope his replacement is given time and patience.

Klopp was/is a generational manager and it would be desperately unfair for his successor to be constantly compared to him.

We've seen a great example at Man Utd as to what happens when a legendary manager leaves - I just hope we don't follow them down that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

PL points since his appointment. Only the club with 115 pending charges and who escaped a UEFA ban for breaching financial regulations on a technicality could beat him.

1. Manchester City – 716 points

2. Liverpool – 671 points

3. Tottenham – 583 points

4. Arsenal – 576 points

5. Manchester United – 571 points

6. Chelsea – 559 points

7. West Ham – 422 points

8. Everton – 408 points

9. Crystal Palace – 362 points

From: https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/jurgen-klopp-premier-league-table-since-took-over-liverpool-manager#new_tab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,420 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Alonso is absolute red hot favorite with the bookies to take over.

Would like to see that happen.

Yep, very important to start the post-Klopp era on the right foot. Make a mess of this next managerial signing and we could end up with a revolving door of managers ala Chelsea and United of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Gutted when I heard this. Hopefully the culture he has brought to the club will be carried on by the next manager. Now on to the players to give him a proper send off. Wonder have FSG been scouting all ready for the manager given he told them. But will not be known until end of season

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

My thinking, purely my own thoughts, is that Alonso had agreed to take over next year and instead of it being leaked the club thought it best for Klopp to announce his departure with Alonso stepping into the role start of next season.

Following Liverpool since the late 80's as a kid so seen more of the demise than the great days. One thing I always wanted was for us to be champions again, well Klopp done one better and for a period of time we were the best team in the World. Class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

When you think about it he's basically managed for 23 years without a break. Longest break he had was leaving Dortmund to Liverpool. Arrived at Liverpool in October that year after leaving Dortmund the previous May. Not much of a break really. Doesn't sound like he's done in management even though he said he can't see himself managing again at the moment. Think he'll take a year off and you'll have the likes of Germany, Bayern Munich, etc, looking to get him then. Could see Barcelona as well unless Xavi picks up. Weird to think of him managing someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Gerrard quoted as 11/1.

Surely a misprint and that's 111/1.

Alonso going to Real Madrid would break me, we lose more to them than to any of the clubs in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Shocked to open the news and see the headline.

Said it was in November that the feeling came to him.

Guardiola said in November that he was open to extending his contract past 2025, maybe Klopp said "ah fxxk this".

With the announcement that the whole backroom staff is leaving I agree with those who think the replacement is already in place.

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I wouldn't even be surprised if Klopp saw what Xabi was doing and told the club to go for him, that now was the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,515 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just had a scary thought of Xabi going to Madrid this summer and ending up with Alberto Aquilani as our manager.

• Administrators Posts: 54,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not sure Klopp's style would be suited to national team management tbh, I don't think it'd work with such sparse access to players. I think he'll end up in another club job in a year or two if the right job comes at the right time, similar to how he joined us .

His thing seems to be taking rough diamonds and making players out of them. Takes a lot of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,407 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Devastated with the news of Kloppo leaving. He made the club and fans believe again in the early days and promised a title and boy did he deliver.

A great manager and a great person by all accounts.

What we need now are the players to give absolutely everything they have for the remainder of the season. Try to win Klopp another PL and fill in the missing trophy from his time here in the EL.

For a replacement if love to see Xabi replace Klopp but I wasn't expecting that until summer 2025 at the very earliest so it's a wonder whether Xabi is ready yet but he's doing great things with Leverkusen.

Outside of that I think De Zebri could work well or maybe Spaletti but doubt he'd leave his Italian manager role.

Hopefully Salah and all the senior guys stay put this summer and they all row in behind the new coach whoever he is.

• Advertisement

Off to Barca to rebuild them. Or Real when Ancelotti leaves.

Well I hope the ballots went well lads because tickets to any game for the rest of the season will be gold dust now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Danke Jurgen. YNWA.

The fact the club have managed to keep this quiet for 3 months really shows how little we need concern ourselves with transfer rumours. Nobody knows fckin anything 😆

If Paul Tierney is on our final game I'd love to see Klopp throw him into the Kop 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,530 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This is unreal, but who could justify questioning Jurgens reasons. All you can do is celebrate his tenure.

• Advertisement

We shouldn't let him leave until Gomez scores a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

I genuinely can't see him taking over another team straight away. Claiming he hasn't the energy for it then going to Real or Barca would be hypocritical.

""I don't want to wait until I'm too old to have a normal life and I need to at least give it a try at one point to see how it is."

Doesn't sound like a man who'll be taking on a new job any time soon

I mean in a year 9r two he might take over one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I could honestly see it happening

Ronan O'Gara said during the World Cup that he wanted Ireland to win it from a general point of view, but from a selfish point of view if we won it he knew how hard it would be to follow Andy Farrell as the coach to actually do it.

It was the same for Fergie or Wenger. No matter how good or in form another Manager is at the time, you simply can't follow them. I know we had Paisley after Shanks but that was a different era.

The pressure on success and how visible fans opinions are these days means it's nearly impossible to follow these sorts of manager.

So yeah, give me your arm and I'll bite it off for Xabi Alonso. But like Graham Potter, David Moyes or Unai Emery, I fear it's a poisoned chalice for the in-vogue manager of the day like Alonso.

Gerrard could be given the chance not because of his form, which is woeful, but because of who he is to the club. A legend whether he succeeds or not. Xabi is a legend, but not in the same way. And if he's got ambitions to be the next biggest thing in management, is this job coming at the right time for him? Or are the risks too big?

I honestly could see it happen

• Advertisement

I think another factor with Alonso is that he's already got goodwill with the fans, he'd at least have a slightly longer leash than someone else.

Xabi has always struck me as a player who had a great understanding of the game and would make a very astute manager.

He's played under Benetiz, Jose, Ancelotti, Pep and Del Bosque so I'd say his knowledge of different approaches to management, systems and styles is very strong.

I just feel this might have come a year to early for him but as one of my favourite ever players I'd love to have him back at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭McFly85

More chance or Kloppo taking the Ireland job than Gerrard getting the Liverpool one.

His only qualification is that he played for the club. We have actual evidence about what a rubbish manager he is when Emery took over Villa and made them significantly better pretty much overnight.

Not to mention he’s in a tin pot league and really struggling there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

"It's not so important what people think when you come in. It's much more important what people feel when you leave."

Jürgen Klopp when he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

All the talk about his successor, lads I can't even contemplate that now, Klopp IS liverpool football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,596 ✭✭✭brevity

Nope. Yuck. His "legend" status is a little shaky considering his recent decision making, never mind how crap he was at Villa.

I also think it's a year too early for Xabi, but also the only chance we have at getting him. By the following summer he'll have Madrid coming for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭ratracer

Stop 🛑!

Gerrard following Klopp would be a bigger disaster at the club than Souness replacing King Kenny. That was a disaster that took the club decades to recover from ( not withstanding he inherited an aging squad).

Stevie is and always will be a legendary captain and player at Liverpool, he is nowhere near the requirements for our next manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

Would Gerrard be considered by a single soul if he wasn't a Liverpool legend? No

Would Alonso? Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Exactly

If we land Xabi I'm convinced that Klopp planned this whole thing out. Knowing that if he left this season the club could beat Real to what he believed was the best option for the club going forward. He really might have been totally selfless here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

If ever a man was made for a club and a club made for a man its Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp.

I will hopefully get over to see him over the next few months, I’ll hopefully see him at the emirates in just over a week.

Danke Jurgen YNWA.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'd say get Alonso now. Ironically, his managerial career from his next club, may mirror his playing career, or close to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Already put to Xabi in a presser… fairly cagey response (as one would expect).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭Talisman

Perhaps the plan for Klopp and his family was always to finish with Liverpool in 2024, that's when his contract was due to expire before he signed the extension to 2026.

Interestingly in late November 2023, Christian Falk reported that Klopp had just declined a new offer from the club of another 2 year extension. He said that the offer of the contract extension was FSG's response to Klopp receiving another approach to manage the German national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The full interview as well, in case anyone hasn’t seen it.

I’d ignore the rumours of ulterior motives tbh, he’s very forthright about his reasons, actively declaring that this is the total truth, and he’s earned enough respect to be taken at face value in that I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭eigrod

It’d be interesting to hear when the players found out. Because if it were a couple of weeks ago, it certainly hasn’t affected their performances. Long may that continue. Again, what a great young squad he’s leaving to his successor.

Not sure about sources but I read on twitter they only found out this morning/maybe yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Plus he showed zero emotional intelligence at the end of his career as a player. Couldn't accept that he wasn't physically able to play 90 minutes 3 times a week, and couldn't handle being subbed out or rested. Played a big part in undermining BR as a result.

Great player in his day, leave it at that.

Advertisement