Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

ah transcends a sport is a bit much for Rory. He did for a 5 year period at the start though. But I agree his achievements are greater than Katie’s. I mean even some of her recent fighters I think have had day jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Jesus wept, Taylor had been at the apex of her sport for over a decade and is credited with helping to get women’s boxing into the Olympics. If ever there was an example of a sportsperson transcending their sport, she is it.

I agree that selling out CP is neither here nor there, that was my point, it’s about as relevant as saying 200k people in Ireland play golf, it is merit less.

Anyways, I think it’s been done at this stage, the answer to that question is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I didn't say he should be telling Rory he's wrong. He should be asking Rory what he thinks and asking him if he thinks that's the best option. Try and get a conversation going about it. It's ultimately Rory's decision what he is going to hit and his caddy then agrees and gives him the line, the yardage etc.

He has to try and engage more at the tee box and on the fairway. They do talk about difficult shots around the green. And a lot of the time those difficult shots are because of Rory's aggression.

It's all well and good doing these things in the Dubai desert classic but when you get to the majors you have to keep the big scores off the card. A conversation with your caddy can calm you down, get you to reset and take a safer approach from a bad spot.

While I just said above that it's all well and good in the Dubai desert classic I only mean it's not an important tournament.

He should be having those conversations there because you need to be doing the same thing week in and week out so it's no different at the majors.

You might enjoy Rory going for it and it can be exciting but for me I want him to win more majors and the mistakes that have been costing him in majors are aggressive decisions that he shouldn't be making. Thing is he's making them every week, aggressive decisions. If he was having a conversation with his caddy he might change his mind once or twice in a round of just in a tournament and that could be crucial in a major.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Sonia O'Sullivan > Katie Taylor in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You've misinterpreted my post. There's no comparison between Katie and Rory. Not least their sex.

My point was don't diminish Katie by dragging her into a conversation she doesn't belong in so you can virtue signal online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

A discussion she belongs in. Michelle would have been in there had it not be for the old *cough*..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the assumption isn't about accuracy when clubbing down

its about avoiding risk, hitting a shorter club to avoid danger, tighter fairways etc

he is the biggest name in golf by a mile who is currently playing

Tiger->phil->Rory

no one else is even close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

The slight trouble i think with this, is that, the great players simply see the game differently lots of the time. Risk to you and me might not be to them. A top pro rarely, if ever, "goes for it" - they either have the club to make a carry or they don't. Like last week in Dubai, that wasnt Rory going for it on 18th, he had that carry, easily, with thst club. If he mishits it, thats on him, not the caddy, and it was correct as it left a simple 3rd shot, rather thsn a fiddly wedge over water. Someone else could equally argue he was wrong and should have laid up, the old "if you have 2 take 2" mentality. Both can be right I guess. Hindsight is great 😁!

i tend to agree with the post above suggesting that ultimately its still his putting at crucial times holding him back. He just seems to get these rounds where, he doesnt really putt bad, just doesnt hole anything, and shoots 72. Throw in the way too frequent brain fart moment he has, like the drive on 18 the previous week, or the 3 putt from two feet, and you're finishing top 5 instead of winning.

I hope he wins a few more majors as he's (purely IMO) the best player i've ever seen, but obviously NOT the most successful, and he'll have nothing like the career of a Woods or Nicklaus. I don't think he has the hard nosed mentality for their level of dominance. I'd put him streets ahead of Koepka or Els tbh. Yes i know Koepka has an extra major but they're not the only thing that matter, massive but still not the sole criteria in a body of work. I'd love to see him win at Augusta, but I fear he'll always regret Reed's Masters, that one really was the one that got away with that missed tiddler on 2nd.

Why make a comment like that. No intelligence, input or structure to it?

If it's meant as a joke then add a smiley.

Yeah he's the biggest by far that's playing regularly, Spieth is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭coillcam

I noticed a bunch of new posts in the Rory thread. Maybe there's some interesting news breaking....

About as much intelligence as is in your posts on caddies.

I have particular disdain for amateurs like ourselves having strong opinions on a player's caddy. A caddy is a very personal choice to each player, depending on what makes them tick. People say things like he should get a "proper caddy", as if that's a thing. Jordan Spieth has his former teacher, DJ his brother for example.

You also speak as if you're with them throughout every round and privy to their conversations when you, like the rest of us, have no idea if or how often Harry challenges him on club or shot selection. You also have no idea what they discuss outside of competitive rounds - for all you know they could do a review of the round afterwards, maybe Rory has told him not to question club selection as it might sow doubt in his mind over a shot etc..

the point made before that was that he wasn't seeing the smart shot

every player hits the odd bad shot

and they all go for it, as in hit risky shots, especially when in 2nd 3rd in a chance of winning

risk = reward

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

But the smart shot from who's perspective ? I guess my point is that too often us mere mortals get sucked into a conservative, trying not to lose, as opposed to trying to win mindset when we're judging the very best.

As regards risk, i think there's levels of risk. I dont think they'll ever take on a shot without knowing they have it in the locker. Well, almost never, there's obviously exceptions. By and large touring pros play very conservatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭AyeGer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is clear that some of the posters here - just don't like Rory - so there is always a sort of schadenfreude when it comes to Rory.

I would say to them - they should try understand what it was like , to not have Irish golfers anywhere near the top of majors - you'd be lucky to see one in the top 10 of an Open Championship - never mind a debate over if he will win a grand slam or not.

People are often over romantic about a much lauded period of Irish golf, the 80 and 90s. But - when you have a pure winner come along like Rory , cherish them deeply - because when that time is gone - there is no guarantee you will get another one.

Even Lowry - he has been very poor since his Open - just be careful what you wish for , when you are not enjoying the good times.

Who out there now is the next Rory ? Who is going to be chasing majors in 5 years time ?

• Advertisement

Ah hear, he’s a golfer, not a family member.

It is a golf forum - and I assumed most golfers in Ireland cared how Irish golfers do. You clearly are one of the ones - who just doesn't like him.

What will you say - if / when he wins another major.

You are making baseless assumptions, confusing comment on performance with personal animus, don’t put words in others mouths, it’s lazy commentary.

When/if he wins another major, I’ll be just as happy as you, I just won’t tell others they have to be happy too.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

I'm not sure I believe you. The only time you ever post on the golf forum is to come on to this thread to stir the pot about Rory's ability to close out tournaments, particularly majors. You so obviously detest Rory, your post history proves that very clearly. I also think you get a kick out of winding up fans of Rory.

Rory is a sensational talent who has underachieved at majors. His only failing in a stellar career. From what i can see he is doing all the right things to remedy that.

I won't be engaging in any further conversation with you. Pointless. Your views are very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Exactly, we've always had a time when we had a golfer or golfers who might compete in A major (outside of Padraigs purple patch), but we've never had a golfer who's basically at the top end of the conversation in every major he plays in (even if he ultimately doesn't perform)

Again, unfounded assumptions. I don’t detest sports people, I don’t know or care about them enough to have that strong an emotion towards them, it just suits your narrative to assign that opinion to someone you know nothing about.

In relation to closing out tournaments, the fact that you have an issue with commentary about closing out tournaments, and in the same post reference your belief that he has underachieved, seems odd. That same underachievement you speak of often results from not closing out tournaments, or seemingly losing focus at crucial times. The two are interlinked, you acknowledge the what, but seem to have a problem with the why.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Ah stay, tell us your opinion on Katie Taylor 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,445 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I've been to loads of tournaments and followed Rory for the full round every time. Anytime I get up close there's no conversation except on occasion around the green when Rory has a very difficult shot.

All you ever hear Harry say is yardage and line.

I'd just like to see Harry have a conversation. Rory could very well be one of those guys whose going to do his own thing no matter what's said but even having the chat starts a reset which is a good thing.

Pádraig Harrington was unreal at times, I've been told this first hand.

In practice for the 2006 Ryder Cup at the K club, Padraig was driving the ball like God, best player off the tee by miles.

He turns up for the first match with a new driver.

There's no talking to them sometimes.

Edit to add: I just want him to start winning majors again. I am pretty certain that he makes mistakes that cost him just from taking a foolishly aggressive approach on certain holes where more conservative shot selection is a better option.

• Advertisement

I do agree it is clear to see the Harry is just a bag carrier.

But - we just don't know what it takes for Rory to perform - he might like total control - and this control is part of his routine and psychology - conversation may interrupt his sequence.

It may be what works best for him - and obviously he knows best.

I will add - in the modern game , this is very unusual - you can name most caddy pro set ups - and it is very different, down to them even calling it them making the call - them almost making the choices and shots.

Advertisement