Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

And solves the ever-increasing problem of having to replace them.

If the prison supply of conscripts had not already started to dry up, this would finish it for sure! Exchanging a non to comfortable Russian prison but alive, for a war zone until the end of the war. with very odds of not surviving? Het Spasibo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Thanks for at least responding to my post. I find it ironic that others who are so quick to dismiss any bad news with the usual "where are your sources" and "you never answered my question" are very slow to actually commit an opinion of their own.

Yours is well presented and as good a chance of being accurate as anything I've read. Certainly as the days progress and there's no more detail leaking out the more positive the picture looks.

I just don't get the desperation to jump on any link to a possible bad-news story on here. Yet we get twitter link after twitter link with reports of Russian losses, none of which are questioned. Which is fine... it's just an online discussion forum, not the editorial committee for the Washington Post. It's a bit like analysing reported losses - Ukrainian figures (c. 375k casualties) are taken, not just as fact, but have been spun in the last couple of days as "Russian casualties close to half a million". Whereas someone else suggests that unless there's official confirmation from the Ukrainians of losses, they can't be verified.

This isn't aimed at you at all, but there seems to be a serious case of "Reds under the Bed" fear on here when it comes to analysing reports coming out of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

People don't generally dismiss bad news, but when posters quote a tweet and say (without any evidence in the tweet) that 300 Ukrainians were KIA and 200 wounded, it's not too much to ask for some source for the claim of the figures. Figures that high should be backed up by some/source.

Same poster is very quick to question other people sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yes Ted I did provide a photo as you well remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Thanks for at least responding to my post. I find it ironic that others who are so quick to dismiss any bad news with the usual "where are your sources" and "you never answered my question" are very slow to actually commit an opinion of their own.

I'm not sure I'd say it's ironic. It's very easy to make fantastical claims with little evidence. So I refrain from doing that where possible. I come to this thread for news updates. But it's very grating when the thread is being scuttered by certain posters who only seem to post bad news and do so with the bare minimum of evidence or none at all. While at the same time childishly sniping at others who do the same but with good news. Blind to their own hypocrisy.

However I'm not unbiased and anyone reading any of my posts where I make any claims should not take my words at face value. In fact I'd encourage the opposite.

I just don't get the desperation to jump on any link to a possible bad-news story on here. Yet we get twitter link after twitter link with reports of Russian losses, none of which are questioned.

I understand well enough. Ukraine are waging a war on all our behalf where the very idea of democracy and fairness globally is on the line. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I won't be rushing to bring any kids into this world if Ukraine is simply left to die slowly. Either through incompetence, greed or apathy. So I'm happy to admit my bias. As I'm sure others are. So when I see good news I hope that it's true and wait for more confirmation.

So when I see others that consistently post only bad news I have to question their motives. Do they want Russia to win? Are they just edgy contrarians who don't care and internet clout is the best thing going in their lives? In any case there's a simple fact to be known. Russia lies. A lot. About everything. The same can't be said to the same degree about Ukranian sources. So any good news for Russia has to be filtered through that lens in my opinion.

And in any case if you ever feel like seeing the scale of Russian losses and you have a strong stomach, head on over to the combat footage reddit. I'll reiterate it's not for the faint of heart. It's not completely possible to verify each and every combat kill Ukraine claims(and perhaps it never will be) but there isn't a day that goes by where new footage of scores of Russian soldiers being drone grenaded or columns of armor being shredded by javelins, mines and artillery doesn't show up. So I'd well believe Ukraines numbers are close enough. Sooner than I'd believe anything from the Kremlin anyway.

But sure don't take my word for it. I'm just an internet pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

You are confusing profits with revenues. 40% reduction isn't that bad given the reduction in gas price.

As a comparison they made 16bn profit in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I assume you mean that Russia is a carcass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Why are you calling him ted? Is this some kind of father ted reference?

And meanwhile, back home in Russia,,, the next battlefield?

• Advertisement

For some reason I expect them to rock up to the UN demanding food aid,

Over the past number of weeks I've seen that poster link loads of Ukraine-positive stories/ tweets/ updates etc. with some of his own commentary. I don't recall anyone pulling him up on those, suggesting that they were his claims (as opposed to just repeating what was in the tweet/ link etc) and drilling down into the evidence, demanding sources etc.

We keep getting the Ukrainian updates of destroyed enemy equipment, kills etc. I clearly remember almost every Western expert acknowledging earlier in the war that these were no doubt inflated, to be taken with a pinch of salt etc. (albeit, confirming that yes, the Russians were suffering very heavy losses). Nobody - literally nobody on here - takes issue with the continued posting of the Ukrainian updates as fact. Nobody says "you better have sources for those 976 kills yesterday".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Maybe go back and look at the tweet in question and see if there's anything a miss with what the tweet said and what the poster said. Blatant lies should always be called out.

Most people have the decency to admit when they are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I see posts here based from media sources that compliment or are negative about one side or the other that I give more or less credibility to based on my own judgement, but if a claim is particularly specific and no source or a very dodgy looking media source is given, or a source is given that looks to be completely misinterpreted, as the reason for the claim then I see no harm asking if the original poster has any better source to give credibility to what are their claims. If they reply and say they have nothing else to prove or disprove their claims that is fair enough but to persistently ignore anyone who asks for something to explain claims that are labeled as confirmed or other phrases to give them credibility is just rude in my opinion and characterises that poster as someone who should simply be ignored in future as I have done in the case of one particular regular poster on this thread at times before.

Again, as a fellow internet pleb, appreciate the very reasoned reply. I'm the exact same - just come here for updates and hope them to be positive.

I'd disagree about the poster you reference. From reading the thread over the past few weeks I'd say the majority of his posts are pro-Ukrainian/ laughing at Russian incompetence. Maybe there's some historic bad-feeling going back to the early days of the thread, but he's one of the few posters to attempt to engage in discussion on various issues of the day. From my perspective, most of the scutter on the thread is from posters whose only contributions (again, not speaking about you here) are to act as pseudo forum moderators, throwing out personalised digs while they're at it. Just press the ignore button.

We want Proof, we want peer-reviewed cited, multi agency investigatied evidence all the while posting tweets and legging it for 6 months and coming back with the same we demand evidence, same accounts others Just new accounts same people,

But yet there posts and evidence is tweets that cannot be questioned ever .......

It's a war Russians are dying and Ukrainians are dying in the hundreds of thousands, random boardies we want evidence evidence of the exact numbers of the numbers dead or it's false information knowing that Ukraine doesn't release its figures but they are dying in their tens of thousands,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

@Paddigol I'd say the majority of his posts are pro-Ukrainian

The multiples of thousands of my posts are all pro Ukraine going back over a decade not a few posts here and there on a thread every few weeks/months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

Taking a leaf out of the IRA and Hollywood playlist,

And They could easily increase the size of the car to carry bigger and more powerful munitions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

God I hope they keep accurate charts of where these mines are being placed. I just bristle at the thought of the things being used and no ody keeps track; you look at the likes of Cambodia for a terrible example of mines lingering and causing civilians terror for decades to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, mines are going to be a problem once the war is over. I doubt the Russians keep accurate charts.

Handy way to set up anti-tank mines, though. Those things are heavy to carry around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Another report from Adiivka claiming the tunneling moskovytes were not as effective at breaking the defensive lines of the armed forces of Ukraine as some have said:

"The Russian tunnelers according to the TV report surfaced well short of Ukrainian fortifications, which were intact..."

Define wasn't as successful as claimed,

Considering they broke through Ukrainian lines undetected

that's would be considered successful in any military action, that would be top of your list in any conflict to breach enemy lines undetected, there was no mention of damage to fortifications anywhere yesterday,

But would Ukraine come out and say the Russians breached to there lines no they absolutely would not just as the Russians would not say the Ukrainians breached their lines undetected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

What is the real situation in the Russian economy now? I see a lot of news talking about collapse and the Ruble imploding. But is that actually the reality? Hard to get genuine news on things because western media obviously wants to talk up ideas of collapse. To be clear I hope it's true but I've been hearing of Russia's economic collapse for over a year and it hasn't happened yet.

It's been a regular topic for the last two years the collapse and it's started but the Russians are still going strong,but there seems to be a slightly growing situation from some food shortages and heating systems going kaput but it's likely a mix of sanctions and lack of qualified people left to man maintenance crews ,and agricultural sectors ,

But other than that and Ukraine weapons hitting Russia proper we all still waiting for the collapse to actually start

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement