Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The US and the UK strike Houti targets in Yemen overnight. Good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I have to say I laughed - very good. "No, not like that" could be the response perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭brickster69

If people took that action it is up to them and the authorities if they are justified. Obviously they should give notice beforehand so those countries can stop sending or receiving goods until things are sorted out.

Difficult to see China and Russia losing much sleep over it to be honest and start launching missiles and air strikes in self defense because of it.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

You misread the law and are now doubling down.

If the Houthis try and stop merchant shipping, that's an act of piracy. You can argue that Yemen could ask ships sailing to Israel to stop to be inspected to make sure no arms are onboard. Assuming they are sailing in Yemen waters. Stop confusing the Houthis with the Yemen government ffs.

The only people seeing the Houthis are heros are the same who irrationally hate the US regardless of what side of the conflict they are on. If the US landed a man on Mars, the same groups would be saying they could have fed the world's hunger instead. Or they just wanted a longer range missile to target alien worlds or some other crazy bat **** conspiracy theory.

Don't side with terrorists because they appose a side you dislike. This isn't the time to play the enemy of my enemy is my friend kinda stuff.

Ireland's government took the right choice, i always said it since day 1. When the rest of Europe are looked upon as global outcasts to the rest of the world the Irish will be respected and welcomed everywhere. Very wise decision which should be applauded.

Just need to keep far away from those loons in NATO and not **** it all up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Being the other country put a substantial military Order with the US including 50 of the latest and greatest strike aircraft something is in the works,

Iran might just have to rethink things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We are in the EU

Like they give a crap about genocide, aren't they currently involved in civil war which part of a wider sectarian proxy war in the ME.

🙈🙉🙊

Another ship hit and on fire in the Red Sea.

Looks like a British oil tanker

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

In fairness to the pirates/rebels warn that they would attack British and American ships?

So what was it doing trying to transit through the red Sea. Despite the obvious danger of being attacked, especially with such a highly flammable cargo on the positive side, it seems like the crew managed to make it off okay and at the end of the day. That is the most important thing.

• Advertisement

Why wouldn't it transit through the redsea theses terrorists haven't exactly managed to do a lot, 3 hits and little damage, yes there a fire on a ship which seems to have pretty much contained and not spreading modern ship design showing it works when it comes to safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Can't be good for the long suffering environment, bombing ships loaded with petroleum products.

What if they sink one full of crude oil?

Mainly their own nest they are fouling though. I suppose why worry...Allah will sort it come Judgement Day no doubt!

Sky reporting that US/UK actions are not working and may be making things worse. Another middle east adventure turning into a debacle.

Uk warships don't have the missiles to attack Yemen on land. After the 2 minesweepers crashing into each other last week maybe it's a good job, they would probably hit the wrong country.

The Axis of evil must be laughing their caps off watching this debacle unfold.

Yes they do .....

Minesweepers are just that they deal with sea mines they aren't kitted out for air defence or land attack that's what Destroyers are for and the HMS Diamond is a air defence system destroyer it doesn't carry land attack weapons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't think of a more justifiable reason to even have an army warships and bombs, and use them, than to retaliate against these attacks.

IMO the alliance have gone is way to softly and should ramp up the operation and kill it off as quickly as possible.

3 US military killed and 25 injured in an attack on a US base

Time to send in the bombers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The Houthis attacks on the ships should be stopped, if not by the Houthis, then by the US/UK.

Use whatever level is necessary to make these lads come to their senses - basically put manners on them. If People Before Profit TDs complain - I can live with that.

It's Iran , they have to return Iran back to the stone Age these proxies are paid for and armed with weapons from the Iran revolutionary guard , this was also an attack on Jordan that won't go down well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Agreed - Iran’s leaders are acting like they are in favour of a regime change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no level will make them stop.

it's not going to happen.

the US are already using the highest level and it isn't working.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It's certainly nowhere near the highest level. In fact I believe they have been extremely restrained in their retaliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Perhaps the US should consider the easier option and cheaper option of simply downscaling its military operations abroad and focusing on resolving internal issues rather than act as the world's policeman.

This whole situation with Yemen might not have arisen if the US had done the sensible thing in the beginning and called for a ceasefire, or at least get Israel to take a more proportional response to what happened on October 7 if Israel refused to cooperate. I believe they could have been strong-armed into being more delicate with their actions by simply refusing to supply them with the weapons they are using to carry out their current genocide.

But I suppose this whole situation was bound to occur when you have a weak president in charge of the USA.

Advertisement