Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,518 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I won't be explaining it to anyone tbf!

Watching the first interview it's clear the club needs succession planning so probably the right call.

Part of me is happy it's only Norwich tomorrow (no offense meant but it's not a big league game) to give people more time to acclimate.

I can't believe how long it's been. 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Obviously every pool fan is devastated - But there is way more to Jürgen than just a pure soccer man - he is just a great person. There is great integrity in him going - I'm an emotionally based manager - I need to be a certain way to perform - and I want to do more in life than just soccer.

Even him leaving is classy - and the reasons are classy. So in a mad way - I'm happy for him.

It is interesting that he knew this about himself and we knew it about him - that he has a certain time at clubs , and him extending his contract was actually a difficult thing for him to do. He only did it for the people and his wife pushing him.

I definitely was worried about him 18 months ago - that energy was dipping - but then this season has been different again - maybe him making the call has given him a final push this season.

It has been such fun - and we all knew every soccer fan on these Islands , were so jealous of pool - the relationship with the players the fans - the manager and the fans , was one of the most special things I ever seen in Football.

On top of that , the style of play , the freedom and confidence he gave players. The Klopp hug. His humor and general attitude.

Below is probably the most famous quote ever from a Liverpool manager.

“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

But you know what - Klopp turned all that on its head - respected the past - but said, he did not want to carry that around with him and the players. He showed people that success was important - but the most important thing in life, are relationships, friends , love, respect and life. He said it from day one.

" I am the normal one"

Now - he is not normal - but we can all relate to what he showed us. You are nothing on this earth - without emotional connection.

What a blast - thanks a million Jürgen - see you Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

^^^^Allison's header against West Brom.

Anyway as for Alonso can anyone see him leaving Leverkusen if they win the league this year? Would he really just walk away if they did. And if they don't go on to win the league this year after leading for so long would he walk away then or wanna stay and try win the Bundesliga with them? Klopp himself would probably stay at Leverkusen in that scenario and give it one more go.

Do people really think we could get Alonso in the summer regardless of what happens with Leverkusen this year? I'm not so sure tbh.

When we appointed Klopp he was by far and away the best option available and the stand out candidate and an absolute no brainer if we could get him...this time round there is no such candidate in my head tbh. There is simply no manager in world football right now I can think of that comes close to Klopp in 2015. This feels alot more like the time we appointed Rodgers as in we will be left with the best of a bad bunch of options.

Also regarding the potential of the team, I think alot of that goes out the window with Klopp. Just like how players who left us when we had Klopp they never performed as well as they did for us I fear that will happen to the entire squad to some degree when he goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It was going to be leaked so he decided to beat them to it. He covers this in the full interview...

Whilst I would tend to agree it is bad timing - you know what - he is probably the one manager in the world , you ignore logic - and go , they will respond for him.

I would be very happy indeed with Xabi but I'd love if this was a year down the line after Xabi may have won the league with Leverkeusen. Next season would have been a very telling one in terms of his development as a manager. That said, there's an element of risk no matter who we appoint and Xabi seems like easily the most exciting candidate.

On a side note, just ignore the dicks on here today suggesting no mark candidates. Such an obvious and laboured troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think alonso would walk from Germany to take the job if we want him. The owners got the very best they could last time out and it served them well, hopefully they do the same now.

• Advertisement

Alonso has won nothing as a manager. Love the guy but let's get real, the Liverpool job is massive. He's a million miles from being a suitable candidate imo.

I feel sorry for whoever gets it tbh. Following Klopp is some task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Im a 37 year old man, never been in within 6 feet of the man and I'm just absolutely gutted. Totally rekindled my love of football. It wasn't just the trophies, it was the players he brought in, the endlessly entertaining football, the comebacks, the positivity, the man he is. I could watch every minute of him press conferences and interviews, just an amazing character.

It lacks real knowledge to judge him on solely trophies, yes we probably should of won more and might yet but his effect on the club will be felt for years to come. He is the Shankly of our time and I hope he gets a statue to match.

Few managers get to leave on the their own accord especially after 9 years. As he said " I realized no one will sack me"

The humility of the man, he knows when he can no longer be fully committed to a club, just like he did at Dortmund. He knows the club and fans need a manager 100% committed.

Wherever he goes next I'll be watching closely.

If this is the end of our cycle, so be it, I'm grateful I got to live the Klopp era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Just have to win the 4 trophies so.

Could be Klopp v Alonso in Dublin, imagine that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree, from our side I think the timing will be fine. He'll still give everything and I don't doubt the players will too

The possible negative is the speculation around who comes in. For example, Xabi being asked about in his Leverkusen press conference today is a bit crappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I had a short post earlier, but on more reflection....

This is a huge shock. It was always going to happen sometime, but I honestly thought he'd see out his contract. For me, it's the biggest shock to the system since Kenny strapped aside back on 91. I'm in my early 50s,and seen everyone since Paisley, and as a manager IMHO he's #1. I'd never say anything against Kenny, he's a real hero of mine, both for his role with the team as a player and a manager but also for his work post Hillsborough, but Klopp, given the pressures of the modern game, and where we are now compared to where we are now, is still ahead of him.

Klopp owes supporters little or nothing. He's delivered in spades since he's come on board. You could tell last season was taking a toll on him but he seemed refreshed as this season got going, but perhaps it was relief that he had made a decision in his head on his future. I've no worries about him doing his job 100%, I just hope the players and their entourages don't start jockeying for position as the season progresses. 

I'm not ready personally to move on to the next man yet, but the big challenge for everyone at the club now to stay focused. This season is so full of promise, it's up to the group to just concentrate on what's happening between now and May, and let next season look after itself.

Be great to finish with another league trophy to round it off. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Big loss for Liverpool. Similar to when Sir Alex retired. But not many top candidates at the moment. Any of them are a big gamble which Chelsea, United, Spurs have found out over the last number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Has anyone got any insight to what style Leverkusen are playing under Xabi? Systems, formations etc....probably too soon to deep dive him I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I just don't see the outstanding candidate this time like I did back in 2015. Klopp was the dream candidate back then. For me there is no dream candidate this time. Alonso does look very promising but would be a huge risk imo as he is very inexperienced and as Mosstin says above next season would be very telling in how he is gonna turn out. Many up and coming managers have looked like being excellent only to fall short, we had one ourselves and just like I felt the Liverpool job came too soon for Brendan I feel this summer would be too soon for Alonso.

I know my view is being tarnished because all potential mangers are being compared to Klopp as opposed to 2015 when they were being compared to Brendan and Hodgson but I really can't think of a single manager I would be happy with next season.

The dream scenario this time would be we take Bielsa for a season or two until Guardiola finally leaves city at which point Klopp comes back fully rejuvenated and just saunters to title after title after title at which point after celebrating winning 4 titles in 6 years with Leverkusen Alonso takes over but that seems just a tad unrealistic to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Watched the full interview on youtube.

God damn I love that man.

That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Absolutely gutted can’t quite believe it going to be some 4 months 😥

as far as replacements go surely it’s too soon for xabi he’s not managing two years for god sake

people definitely getting carried away with his current form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The reality is there's no outstanding candidate, Alonso is doing a great job at Leverkusen, the only issue I'd have with him is that he's inexperienced, and it's probably a year or two, too early. In fact he'd go up in my estimation if he stayed on at Leverkusen as it would be the type of thing Klopp would do, but, the chance to manage Liverpool might not come is way again so it would be difficult for him to pass it up. He's certainly not a million miles away, any candidate is going to be a step down, only Guardiola, Ancelotti (Mourinho in his early years) are at a similar level to Klopp. The viable options will be limited, Alonso looks as good an option as any.

Agree with basically everything here especially about how he would go up in your estimation if he turned it down cos that's what Klopp would do and that's kinda what I meant when I asked would Alonso drop everything and come to Liverpool in the summer. He looks like he really building something there and would he be ok leaving right in the middle of the project.

One note would be that if it did turn out to be his only chance to manage Liverpool that would only be because his career ended sooner than expected through tragedy or something or that he turned out to just be a flash in the pan. If he is successful as a manager I think he 100% gets the opportunity again to manage us before he retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I reckon any manager coming in too wont have Salah and possibly van dijk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Never mind Salah and van Dijk, we probably won't get mbappe now

We might well have to worry about an increased likelihood of losing players now as well alright.

We should be in the CL next year. Should be some cash.

There's a couple of holes likely but for the most part a nice young base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I wonder was that why he called Salah back to break it to him personally and keep the team together

Whilst I accept Klopp for making his call , I do think a big risk , is all our talent will see a door open to leave.

I think this is a joke - but people should not be fooling themselves - Mbappe was never and will never play for pool - guy on 1.3 million a week.

Quite disappointed in that Johnathon Liew article on the guardian.

Maybe I'm just sensitive today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Phone pinging since this morning, a lot from people I'd not heard from very much in years.. delighted they are.. I guess we were the same when fergie left finally,kinda pathetic really.

Nobody will ever top Jürgen klopp for me, regardless what they win,he's genuinely one of my favourite people ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm embarrassed for you. It's a long running joke. Can't embed the "that's the joke" Simpsons gif for you so you'll have to imagine it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Probably waiting until after the FA Cup games and seeing what games will be moved, or have to be replayed.

One game we should be looking at is Spurs - Man City as a replay here would create a bit of a fixture pile up for Man City. They are currently down to play Brentford at the same time as the FA cup round 4 replays.

Relax - I was guessing it was a joke - but other friends from the real world - who know their sport were going on as if there is a chance,

I don't follow the thread.

There's a YT video called 'Liverpool Respect Moments ' which is currently hitting the feels and showing the incredible non-football moments from the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭Damien360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,530 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

With Kloop down for a least a year according to him, the best appointment would be Roy Hodgson

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I don't really get this everyone wanting to leave stuff. I reckon there's not going to be huge churn here, unless guys want to take the money and head off to Saudi, other than that anyone who wants to remain playing Europe is probably staying put.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,530 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Question, a player under contract can't decide one day, I'm off. How come a manager can?

Yes but If you have worked with Klopp -- he invests so much in the relationship - it is a change , a change is not always good for a pro - and there is no heart stings now - no longer term with Klopp - approaches will be made and , some will take the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭cmac2009

He "complained bitterly about 12.30pm kick-offs in a world where people were struggling to heat their houses".

Peak Guardian equivalence there. Farcical.

Of course they can, there's nothing stopping any player deciding they want to walk away from their contract at the end of a particular season. You just dont see it, because what player would walk away from all that coin??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well, you're wrong would be the main thing.

Anyone could retire, there may be some manner of payback of signing fees etc but absolutely someone can leave. Their registration is owned by the club so they just cant leave and go to another team that competes under any of the same bodies.

• Advertisement

Definitely.

Also asking whether he really cared about State backed teams or just because it was in his own self interest.

Also finding fault with every trophy win, dodgey CL peno, league won in empty COVID, cup finals won in peno shoot outs.

Awful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It’s mental alonso is even money to replace klop a man with 18 months managerial experience and loads of Liverpool fans would welcome it 🤔

I think the fact he was a mercurial Spaniard

I doubt if it was a no nonsense English full back doing the same job they wouldn’t be too many looking him 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Or a Tallaght lad top of the table in Israel !!

But I’m all-in on Xabi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

We are as a group romantics I think and the thought of dishy xabi swanning back in and being deadly is about the only thing that can make this feel ok today ,

that aside I can’t think of anyone I really rate .

Madrid didn't worry about managerial experience when they appointed Zidane I suppose.

Today is crazy, need clearer heads 2m

• Advertisement
Advertisement