Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did you score in your last round? - 2024

• 05-01-2024 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭

Sure I might as well kick off this thread. Got out for my first round in 3 months today - a free one in portmarnock links and was genuinely nervous before it. Having not touched a club in that time I was nervous of hitting it anywhere and everywhere and ending up running from shot to shot just to not hold up the people be behind us.

I encountered my first problem sooner than expected. I couldn't close the top button on my trousers. It's a worry when your problems start when getting dressed in the morning. Twas a good Christmas I suppose. Then the plan was to get to the club early, have a few putts and chips and a stretch and hit a few balls into the nets. Instead I went straight to the first tee where my playing partners were ready to go. And my first tee shot was shocking - nailed a 4 utility straight down the middle. Many possibilities went through my head for that shot, that wasn't one.

Playing off 15 on that course, I started with a par then two bogeys. Then missed a three footer for par on the next and three putted for bogey on the one after. Parred the next two. Lost my drive in the sun on 8 and thinned one OB on 9, but made doubles on both taking 3 from the tee. So after 9 I was +8 and confident because I was striking it really well. Other than the tee shot on 9 I hadn't hit any really bad shots so after starting the day hoping to not embarrass myself too badly I turned thinking I could beat my handicap.

I parred the next 5, so that was nice. Couldn't understand why I came up short on 15 having hit my gap wedge really well on the tee ... then put my sand wedge back into my bag. That was a really stupid way to break the run. And I compounded it with a three putt for double bogey. Parred and bogeyed the next two. Then three putted the last for double to finish. 38 points - very happy days.

So on the downside three three putts, but on the upside 9 pars and I was delighted with how I struck it all day. I really do love that course - it's easily the one I score best on. Unfortunately I didn't join a new club yet so couldn't submit the round.

Can't wait to go there with the soc in April!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

24 points over 12 holes today. Didn't play particularly well, but scored well on a few holes. Driving wasn't great, was pushing it right a bit more than i'd like, and putting was poor missing a birdie and an eagle putt, but happy enough overall. Nice to get out when its not raining 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭coillcam

+1 gross off 11 for the front 9 at Pebble Beach.

But it was on trackman range sim 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bobster453

Havent played this year yet

First rain closed the course then today frost has closed it

Must be great to be able to play 18 all year round.

Might be able to post a score before boards society kicks off in march😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Played In the new winter league on the 1st

31 points with a rare scratch. Driver is a struggle at the minute but played well aside from that. Think it had me playing off 8 on the day.

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

When it comes to getting a new handicap, do the 3 (or 6 x 9) cards have to be done during a competition, or can you just get someone to mark your card during casual golf so long as the course is in qualifying condition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Played in a 9 hole competition at the weekend and had 22 points not feeling like I played that well at all. Course was still a bit frozen over when starting and questionable as to whether they should have waited another 30 minutes before opening the course. Frosty ground resulted in some dodgy short game play on the first hole and a bogey as a result but got to grips then afterwards.

My driving was a bit off the whole round but I'm working on some swing changes at the moment and doing speed training too so not overly concerned. Working hard on my chipping at the moment too and definitely seeing improvements and the highlight of the round was a birdie on our longest par 5 after a great chip into a difficult pin. I'm using Dan Grieve for a bit of inspiration on this and just trying to have two basic short game shots, a lowish runner type of shot but can change the club to vary roll out depending on pin position. Still learning what club is best in different situations, and a higher shot with less run out. Realistically for my handicap if I'm anywhere within 10 or 20 yards of the green at worse I need to be getting down in 3 and if better then great, so my focus is just hitting the green with any chip and giving myself a comfortable two putt.

It can be casual golf once you've a member as marker and course is qualifying condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Highly unlikely they would be from a competition as you couldn't enter one without a handicap.

Cards can be marked by anyone with a GUI and marker should write their number on the card as well as signing. Some clubs prefer or insist that some or all of your cards are on the course you're a member of. Check with your pro shop or handicap committee first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Certain tee boxes might need to be used as well. Most will allow you to book a slot in the comp to get the card signed as well , I'd just email the handicap sec and see what he says.

We have the qualifying for our winter league going on this week. It's a bit of a weird format, 6 rounds qualifying, 3 x 12 hole singles with the best 2 counting and 3 x 15 hole again with the best 2 counting, also in any given week you can reenter once. It's been a bit delayed with the weather in December and the frost then but the course was in great condition this week and I managed to get out both Saturday and Sunday. This week then was the last of the 12 hole singles.

Saturday, similar to the previous week I didn't feel like I was playing particularly well, certainly my driving accuracy is very poor but managed to pull together 29 points thanks again to major improvements in my chipping.

Today was a real tale of two halves. An early start and no real chance to warm up, the first 6 holes I had 6 points and I think I hit one fairway during those. The next 6 holes I managed to get the driver working and hit 5 fairways, level par for the 6 holes and 18 points to finish with 24. An odd round but happy to have finished strongly.

• Advertisement

9 hole singles placing

23 points

4 over gross

Par first 2 bogey 3rd birdie 4th bogey 5th bogey 6th par 7th Stupid bogies on last 2 holes

Overall happy given conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

first game back since November yesterday and the results were not pretty.

Parred the first hole with a nice little 6 foot par saver.

Trouble began on second hole with a topped wedge (sure sign I haven't played in a long time). still had a chance of a par but was very unfortunate with a bad bump on the green on my par saver.

Lost ball off the third tee box, another lost one of the 5th. In the water of the tee on the 8th.. etc etc Really nice to be out, need to get to the range to tighten up the swing..

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Corballis? Played sunday afternoon, greens sure were bumpy haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

yep, reckon I fixed 100 pitch marks. The course is getting so much traffic at the minute, Sunday is the members comp, saturdays are all booked out with societies, 3 opens during the week plus that race to 59. Its a wonder its as good as it is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Played my first round of 2024 today, 11-hole competition in my home course. 67 shots leading to 11 points off 17 (H.I. 24.2). I won't be affecting the prizes! :-)

I'd done a small bit of work over the last month, with a lesson changing my grip and parts of my backswing, so I wasn't sure how this would go. As I expected, the golf was very uneven, but the swing changes helped and I was more confident standing over the ball. As usual, improving one area just pointed out the issues in other areas - a lot of work on pitching and chipping needed.

The course was in good shape, considering. A number of soft areas and the greens were quite bumpy, but for the end of January it was fine, and good weather made it a pleasure to play. Looking forward to a fun 2024 golf season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good luck with the changes TrueDub. Swing changes are hard, and it takes persistence to stick with them. But they should pay off in the long term.

Hopefully by the time the qualifying season kicks off they'll feel comfortable (I'm hoping for the same myself after winter lessons)

27 points over 14 holes on Friday. Driving was all over the place, hitting only 2 fairways, but the rest of my game was decent. Should be starting the Spring league this coming weekend, so looking forward to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Shot 84 around the old course in Headfort today in very windy conditions. Playing off 18.5, that's my best score ever so I'm very happy with it.

Driver was going as well as it has in recent memory. Stuck one OB which cost me. The rest were pretty good.

The ground was very soft in places too, making chipping a nightmare. My short game is normally pretty good but I duffed quite a few today on the soft ground. Overall I'm really happy with how it went but can't help thinking it could've been better if not for some silly mistakes and if I got the short game going. Feeling fairly positive about the season ahead. (Famous last words)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I've shot 80 3 times but never managed to go one lower. I played portmarnock links and was +3 on the front 9. I had a double on the 8th which I was happy enough about after having to reload on the fairway. Other than that 7 pars and a bogey is very good shooting for someone playing off 15. I had shaky bogeys on 10 and 11, a good bogey on 13 (index 1 into the wind) and two very useful birdies on 12 and 14 (downwind par 5s).

So that left me needing to be +4 on the last four holes for a 79. The 15th and 17th are relatively easy par 3s, 16th a downwind par 4 and 18th a downwind par 4 with a temp tee at the start of the fairway making it driveable).

I did the smart thing and had a pint since my playing partners were before teeing off on 15. I'm 38 and hopefully will be beyond succumbing to peer pressure when I'm 39. Went slightly left with my tee shot. It clipped the side of the bunker and rolled in. I hit a great shot out but missed the 3 footer for par. I absolutely nailed my drive down the fairway on 16. Turns out they added a fairway bunker which I obviously went into. It was fair enough going in and I wasn't stupid about getting out and just made sure I did. But I can't deny I was annoyed which probably contributed to a duffed pitch and an over hit chip through the green. I ended up with a 7. On the 17th tee 2 pars would yield a 79. 17 was into the wind which isn't good given the height I hit the ball. I just leaked left of the green but left my chip about 2 feet from the pin. Then I missed the putt. Onto the 18th tee needing a birdie. It's very doable given the wind and the tee. I nailed the drive again - but it leaked into the bunker back right of the green. I splashed out well and gave the bird a rattle, but it wasn't to be. I tapped in for an 80. I'm disappointed not to get a round in the 70s, but it was nice getting close again!

I don't know what it is about that course, but it's by far the one I play best on. It's just a shame I couldn't submit the score for my handicap, I could do with a low one. I don't have my pin yet for my new golf Ireland number.

I played Craddockstown on Wednesday, and had 5 birdie and 1 eagle putt in the first 6 holes 👍️

Missed all the putts though (including the birdie after the eagle attempt) 👎️

• Advertisement

12 hole comp today.Scratched 1st..which never happens..db 2nd and bogey 3rd..only 3 pts after 3 holes.

Finished with 27pts including clutch putt for birdie on 18th after good approach to win the fiver off each of 3 buddies.💵

Chipping really good..have Corballis to thank for that last week..amazing what good ground conditions can do.

They might be small but green shoots are appearing aftet a long winter.🌱

Played 18 yesterday in a fourball, and was very up and down. Started really well with a birdie and 3 pars (should have been 3 birdies tbh), but went to complete **** from holes 5-9. Recovered somewhat on the back nine, but didn't score particularly well. Still had 34 points, which i'm happy enough with.

Need to work on my 8i-PW shots. I'm constantly giving myself 20-30+ feet putts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭blackbox

26 points. Too many mistakes.

Anyway my handicap is way too low after a few good (lucky) rounds towards the end of last summer.

If you're constantly giving yourself 20-30ft putts from 8i-PW, then you're likely performing way above average for your handicap Kiith.

Arccos stats say average proximity for a 5 handicap for 100-124 yards is 45ft

Played a round in Kilkenny golf club at the weekend and the less said about my play the better but I really enjoyed the golf course itself. Despite the rain still in great condition for the most part with challenging fast greens. I don't hear it mentioned often as a popular golf course but I'll be back to play in the summer when hopefully my game is a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Broke 50 for nine holes for the first time ever on Friday playing the front nine in Tralee. Three putt from ~15 feet twice and had a duff here and there but absolutely delighted with it. Still don't have a handicap so need to get out a few more times and collect a few more cards asap. According to Shotscope this is my shots gained for the round vs a scratch golfer so I feel my performance was probably slightly unbalanced…

Is there any way to see those Arccos stats? Love it when stats tell me i'm less **** than i expect🤣

• Administrators Posts: 54,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Thankfully I am on Shotscope.

I am way better than those poor souls. Way better from 150.

**** at putting ATM.

• Advertisement

Just bought the new shotscope today, so looking forward to getting some of those stats again after my v3 died a while back.

Target proximity for 5hcap on left, my average with arrows

Haven't really thrown anything up here as I've been playing crap mostly and the odd time hitting my HC points. The short game is still killing me but I finally found a simplified chipping technique that's repeatable. Essentially gripping right down almost to the steel. Forcing me closer to the ball and tightening up any flippiness, sways or wobbles.

During the last few weeks I did post a +3 front 9 which was a PB. The secret was hitting greens or being well outside my short chip kryptonite distance 🤣.

Just need to get on the practice green to build the short-game confidence, the longer sunshine hours will help and surely the rain will start to subside.

Lost my matchplay game tonight, on the 19th hole. Disgusted is an understatement, as i had it in the bag, but completely threw it away. 2 up through 11, scratch 12 and 13, then 3 putt from 4 feet on the par 3 14th. Flew a nice drive down the 1st playoff hole, but club face opened right up for my 2nd shot, and i ended up blocking myself out twice to give him an easy par to win. I played some lovely shots, especially my approach shots from 120 yards or so, but my driving let me down again.

It was a scratch match though, and he plays off 6, so it was always going to be tough.

Onto the next one i suppose 😫

Lost another matchplay last night, and played possibly the worst golf of my life. Was a foursomes, and i don't think i hit a good shot from the 3rd hole to the 13th hole. Didn't hit a single fairway from the tee, put at least 2 oob, shanked a 4iron 50y right on a par 3. You name it, i did it last night. Was one of those rounds where i question what the **** i'm even doing playing.

I'm fine now, and looking forward to getting out again on Wednesday for what will likely by my last matchplay of the year.

But christ on a bike it was bad.

We had our voucher at the weekend. It was windier than I would have liked and the course is drying out which is good but still only 16 holes open. It's also at that stage where I think it's playing it's most difficult in the year, no run on the fairways so drives are all carry, enough growth in the grass that the rough is getting pretty dense before the sheep get out (yes we have sheep on the course) and lastly the tees moved back to summer position.

I've been putting a lot of work into some pretty big swing changes but yet to feel the benefits. This was the first round I've played that I could see the changes paying off. First couple of holes were scrappy but a good birdie on the 4th, a par 5, had me back in decent shape, 2 over after 4. Went on a bit of a bogey train then of 4 in a row but then managed 4 pars in a row which would still have had me in a pretty decent position at 6 over with 4 holes left to play. Then one bad shot led to a catastrophic blow up. Classic trying to play a hero shot out of some rough rather than the percentage shot. Went through the last 4 holes in 10 over. Ended up only being 6 shots off the winner which could have been very possible, even bogey golf for the last 4 would have had me tied.

A lot of positives to take away but disappointed with my decision making on that one hole. I'd been making smart decisions before than but for that one shot ego won over logic. Trying to smash a 3 wood out of rough to the green. Even with a decent lie it was a bad call.

• Advertisement

First proper game of golf on Saturday in a month (was over in Australia for a few weeks and got a casual game in, using a mates clubs, in baking heat, where we had to walk the course as there had been heavy rains in the prior days so no buggies were allowed)

So first game, and a baptism of fire...medal, in strong winds and with a couple of heavy downpours.

Performed much better than I expected to. Had low expectations. Ended up level through the first 5 holes. 3 pars, 1 bird, 1 bogey (on the index 1, with a chip-in, after putting my second in the water)

Onto 6, hit a decent 3w, draw, which thought would be held into a cross breeze, but cut straight through it and missed fairway left. In some scrub and needed a draw with the second. A repeat of the tee shot would be perfect, but a big block (only one of the day) and OB right. Struggled after it and ended up with a triple. Followed up with 2 pars and then a 3-putt bogey on 9. So +4 for 9, which was level for my handicap as I had 8 off the blues off the new calc. Pretty happy to be level with a triple and a 3-putt.

Started the back 9 with a shank of my second on 10. Manage to get my 3rd onto the back of the green, but 3-putted again for a double.

Another 3-putt bogey on 14, but a nice chip in par on the index 2 16th and birdie on the par 5 18th to finish.

So overall, pretty happy with the return to comp golf.

2 chip-ins

3 3-putts, but all with 40ft+ tricky first putts

2 birds

8 pars

6 bogeys

1 double

1 treble

Would have been a cut if there'd been qualifying. Really is a strong argument for courses to be implementing lift clean and replace to get seasons started

Golf's a funny auld game. After the shambolic showing on Sunday, i went out and played some of the best golf i've played in the last 18 months in a trial for one of our interclub teams. Started slowly as i rushed from work and just made the tee time, so had a 7 on the par 5 first. But really got going after that, and when i didn't drive it well, i scrambled really well. Only got 16 holes in, but i was +5 for those 16. 3 birdies, 6 pars, 6 bogeys and a double.

The bad golf was definitely related to massive stress that i've been under in work lately. Managed to fix something that has been at me for months now, holding up a huge migration project, and that lifted a hell of a weight off my shoulders. Shows how much the mental side of things can really help or hinder your game.

Another match tomorrow, and if i play like that i think i'll win it well 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

I got out for an open comp in Roganstown yesterday. I was a bit iffy about playing due to how soft I was expecting things to be. I must say I was very impressed with how wet it wasn't. My balls were plugging everywhere, but I didn't lose any due to plugging and the ground was fine to hit off.

But what made me particularly happy with my decision to play was that I played really well for the most part. 38 points overall, so I'd say I'm not too far from a prize. On the negatives - I hit a couple of wild drives, but I got away with them. It was criminal that a couple of them were still in play, let along not even in trouble. I had 3 bad 3 putts which were annoying. Particularly the one on 17 when I felt I had a decent chance of winning. And I scratched two par 5s from promising positions - nailed a drive on 4, shanked an iron OB. On 10 I was greenside after 3, hoping to get up and down for a par. I chipped way past the hole and 3 putted for nada. On the positives, I struck it really well for the most part. 8 greens in regulation, got up and down 4 times. While I was happy with 38 points, I really came away thinking it should have been a few more.

It's a course I'm considering for long term membership and that was my first time playing it. My perception is probably skewed by how I played, but I really liked it. I'd say you get away with some wildness there which would suit me. But I liked the look of the course, there seemed to be nice variety to the course. I'll just have to go out there and stink it out and see if I still like it. That'll be the real test.

The last 2 rounds I've played have been very strong. Is a run of two rounds in a row enough to be a change in ability as opposed to two freak rounds? I think so. I am annoyed though that I couldn't submit either. On my back of the postage stamp calculation I reckon I'd have dropped 1.9 shots from them if I could have submitted them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Got 40 pts for the first time in a few years yesterday - being a while coming . Off 8 on the day - but WHS puts you were you should be fairly quickly - so you end up where your average is. There is a psychological battle with WHS - and you got to just run with it and go - this is my form , this is the average golfer I am. But you still think back to the old system - but the new system gives you more shots and the new calculation also gives you more shots. So new 40s are a little bit of lesser value. You have to retrain the brain a bit.

Anyway - still had to go 4 over - and I felt I could go a little lower too.

Nice when you have the day when it pays off - But I still find golf very very hard - and you put massive amount of work in at range - practice area and improvement is slow. But I'm hoping I'm going to have a bit of a step change in performance - there are signs there - more birds - hitting things at range , hole a few putts and chips. Hitting fairways and greens - and as mad as this sounds - a bit of luck. Maybe you don't know why you get this luck - but it comes all at once at times.

Such a very very odd game - a mystery.

Not sure how long the form will last - but might try get near the par this year / summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I played a charity event up in Rockmount near Belfast at the weekend. Very nice course, some gorgeous holes although there were a lot of hills to navigate. Thankfully I was playing with people who had played the course before.

I thought I was playing some okay stuff during the front 9 and a good bit better during the back 9. I'd not looked at my score once throughout the round and was surprised and happy to see I shot 36. This was enough to win the comp and get a golf bag worth £99. I didn't need another bag so exchanged it for a 19 degree Wilson DynaPower hybrid which was £95 down from £185. I'd be looking to get a new hybrid for a while so that worked out really well.

I got incredibly lucky on the last hole when I overshot the green and the ball was bouncing towards the glass of the club house, it hit a chair and bounced back towards the green. I duffed the chip a little but then sunk a 12 footer to essentially earn me the point that won the comp.

I've been improving a lot lately, 2 outright wins and 1 division win in my last 4 comps, and really enjoyed playing a new course. Normally I struggle terribly when I'm not in my home club but the confidence in striking the ball fairly consistently really lets you enjoy golf rather than enduring it. Knowing that that terrible shot is not likely to become a string of terrible shots is such a benefit of not being utterly brutal anymore.

• Advertisement

It's almost summer so it means Wexford Strawberries and counting golf!

We didn't have counting golf at the weekend but it was close enough tbh. Almost perfect conditions for Sat/Sun bar a couple of soft areas and GUR.

Played with a mate on Sat morning off the blues and we went "as-is" except mudballs. Turned in a respectable 89 off 15 course HC. After going +1 through 5. I threw a massive hook to lose a ball and triple. Next I had a monster drive (for me) on our index 1 par 4 #7 with a little wind assist. Left a 9i (never had 9i off blues) that I pulled a bit left of the green. It wasn't a bad leave and then I conspired for a double (short game horrors 😂). The rest was irrelevant tbh. It was almost enchanting to play the full course, see the ball carry more and roll out before being fooled on slicker greens.

Sunday I felt good having dusted off the cobwebs the morning before. Now time for the whites off 13 playing HC for our Sun comp. Unfortunately, it was hilarious army golf on the front 9 for the most part so I used up my 13 shots with 11 points. However, I didn't foresee my fortunes turning on the back 9.

Ripped a big drive onto the downslope of #10 long par 4 index 2. Then hit a career shot tbf. I rifled a 185yd 6i from the downslope that faded towards the back right pin, pitching on the hump before resting to 4 feet. I couldn't see the ball finish as it was hidden behind the hump but it brought a welcome surprise. Made the putt with no fuss and I was over the moon. One of my goals for the year was to birdie the last two hard holes (7&10) which I have barely threatened since I took up the game. To make it funnier I was telling my playing partner I've yet to birdie 7&10 before I hit the iron despite having loads of approaches from 130-170. So he was giving me loads of stick before the putt.

An avoidable double aside the back 9 could have been my best ever back 9 with +2 gross (I won't count it due to placing and a temp green). I wasn't far from eagling 18 with that temp green about 30 yards short of normal. Driver/6i onto the temp dance floor and gave it a good scare from 15ft.

A trio of 3x stabs on the way out was disappointing but that back 9 and birdie on 10 felt magical. Roll on counting golf next weekend and our first major. With any luck at all the forecast will change and we get some half decent weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Played my first home counting round of 2024 on Friday - a very mixed bag. When I played well, it was excellent, but there were too many bad shots and the odd example of poor tactics too. I was unlucky in a few places (ended up 18 inches out of bounds twice on separate holes!) but all in all I didn't play well at all. Ended on 22 points.

First counting comp today. Strokeplay off the blues. Turned in an 87 for nett level par.

Started well with two pars. Whisker from birdie on 1 and a great up/down on 2. A couple of bogies followed by 2 pars before a dissapointing double from the fairway on our index 1 par 4. Scrambled a bogey on 8 before bogeying 9. Had a wedge from 75 yards and flew the green 😁.

Luckily found a bad drive in scrub next to OB on 10 before making a double on what could have been a biiiig number. Bogeyed the next 5 inc a poor 3 putt on 15. Scrambled 2 ridiculous pars on 16/17, both with 15+ft putts off the back fringe. Duck hooked 18 and took relief from machinery tracks before pulling my 2nd into the spinney. Opted to hit a high wedge over a tree but caught a branch and had to punch back out. My pitch spun and didn't release onto the temp green so I closed with a dissatisfying double. The green is 30 yards short so it's a driver/6i par 5 atm and par should be a given.

A mixed bag but I was delighted to get the 72 on reflection. The luck balanced out tbh. My index drops 0.3 and I'll qualify for next week's final round. Leaders bunched on 66-67 so I've an outside chance. Great to see the ball going miles in 17C and sun on the back. Hopefully, some good weather to dry out the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Had the worst two rounds of golf at the weekend since I got a GUI about 4 years ago.

Friday, 7 points on the front 9 off the Blues. (107) 22points overall

Sunday, 5 points on the back 9 off the Whites. (104) 22points overall

Wouldn't mind, I had been playing so well over the winter and spring months.

Don't beat yourself up too much, we all have bad rounds...at least you broke 20 both days 😀

Adjusting from placing everywhere to play as it lies often will have a bit of a short term knock on effect while people get back used to not teeing it up in the rough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I dont post often but in the last few weeks won first monthly medal (net66). Played in and Won my first singles interclub matchplay match (6&5) and this morning shot my lowest ever round.

4 over around Corballis for 43 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

We play as it lies out of the rough in Arklow during the winter months. So can't even blame that. Just poor golf after improving my driving so much over the winter, my short game went to pot.

Back at it this weekend.

Of course the other way of looking at it is you scored 15 points on back 9 off blues and 17 points on the front 9 following day off the whites.

Solid scoring.You need to take the positives in this game and forget everything else.

Otherwise it will wreck your head.

Glass half full attitude. It will be grand.😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great golf..as almost impossible to keep it going or not have 2 or 4 nightmare holes there ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I think i was over thinking as i got into back 9.

14 topped driver and slid past for par after two good recovery shots

15 leaked second shot right onto path and left tricky par putt an inch short.

16 approach leaked right took a big bounce and buried in rough. Two to get on green. Two putts for double bogey.

Par par to finish.

Was still beaten by a point 🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
Advertisement