Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transgender man wins women's 100 yd and 400 yd freestyle races.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,504 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

there's a wide difference between the net number of ballots for republicans in a given election, and registered republicans. And ditto for Democrats. You know that there are Independent voters right?

Bye bye then

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

1. Children and young people are supposed to play with identity. This is the current playground. Most recently before this, it was 'phobias' on MySpace. Before that, emo, goth, punk, dandy boy... The phenomenon is old as time.
    2. If you denigrate "straight" in culture, immature minds will attempt to fit into that culture. They usually grow out of it. How many fifty-something goths do you know?
    3. The over-proliferation of girls and young women who exclusively date boys and men cutting their hair and calling themselves nonbinary makes "LGBTQIA+" all but meaningless.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭volchitsa

The number of women adversely affected by even a single trans-identifying male taking part in their sport is a LOT higher than the numbers of trans people though. That's just a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just going back to quote the post that was in reply to:

...receive the same amount of MSM coverage and NGO funding as any other group accounting for less than 0.1% of the population. Life's cruel, eh!

The amount of trans people in the world is tiny. The insane ideas that that they are a huge threat to the world is absolute nonsense....

So, it's trans people were talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really. The guardian is generally but often platforms transphobic voices.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So are you saying it's transphobic to say "Thomas, who was a moderate swimmer in the male category before transitioning, has now recruited the Canadian law firm Tyr to take a case to the court of arbitration for sport in Switzerland"?

If it wasn't that quote, then what exactly in that article makes you say it is transphobic please?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What have they said that is “transphobic”?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

NEWSFLASH: More Americans than every before identify as an acronym.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

One of my fave stats from america was that for a period of time (not sure if its still true) americans changed their religion more often than they changed their cell phone provider.

Whether its religion or acronyms - I have always wondered what it is about this ongoing search for "identity". Do us Irish have more a sense of identity than americans? Or less? I dunno. The small amount of weed I might or might not have consumed has me thinking about it anyway :)

misremembering that, they change religious services more often, ie. which church they go to - or use online:

Which pretty much anywhere is not a hard fear to imagine eg. local university town

Whereas the cellphone industry is divied up into a near oligopoly with 2 or 3 major carriers only, eg. Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, while the number of just christian denominations is dominated by 3 large groups but 200+ are recognized overall with many independent/rural churches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I'm glad you had a think about what you posted and corrected yourself, always better to think something through yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

misremembering that, they change religious services more often, ie. which church they go to - or use online

Reminds me of Lady Gaga’s response to President Bush on the day of her Super Bowl performance, after he reminded her that his father’s Church is not the same as the Catholic Church - “All I needed was Jesus that day” 😂

@4:30 -

Can’t help but admire her, and Taylor Swift:

https://churchleaders.com/news/450290-christian-taylor-swift-political-tennessee.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

This maybe a gen z faddish thing alright . The gay journalist, (doesn’t like being called queer) Andrew Sullivan has often made points like this:

“You can be definitely be straight and queer, you just dye your hair blue. And then when they do surveys of LGBTQIA+ people, we don’t know if that’s gay people or if it’s straight people in a mood”.

I don't think they're doing the survey by hair color, let's not be daft

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Why're you asking that, reread their post it says the Guardian platform transphobic voices, which is objectively true. I decided to check if Helen Joyce who's career is being a professional transphobe has written for them and I found an article right away, co-written with her crony Maya Forstater.

But that's okay I know why you're asking that question, its just a pointless bit of sealioning isn't it, you don't really actually care.

I wonder will I ever come across this insincere question about obvious bigots being prejudiced where the result is the person asking the question goes "oh yeah, maybe that is a bit transphobic".

But of course I **** wont, that isn't the point!!

Struck a nerve, have I?

It still baffles me that, even IF the Guardian published something that could be seen or considered "transphobic", that someone could be so offended simply by an opinion.

The general trend is that if you read something about this topic, and you disagree with it, it is transphobic. In other words, people run and hide over having any proper dialog.

You are referencing one writer, that hardly makes an entire newspaper "transphobic", does it? Actually, maybe to you it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I decided to check if Helen Joyce who's career is being a professional transphobe has written for them and I found an article right away, co-written with her crony Maya Forstater.

If you cared about objective truth you would have said Helen Joyce is a professional journalist. I've never head of anyone taking up transphobia as a career choice, and hardly likely as I've heard of a few people loosing their jobs for voicing their opinions on the subject.

The thing I note about the likes of Helen Joyce is there is no Helen Joyce equivalent on the opposition. I.e. someone who is able to match Joyce intellectually. There was an attempt to debate her on her level but turned out to be a farce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3i-_Fbfpo&t=1810s

Peter Thatchel seems to have increasing whacky opinions like he things the human race will 'evolve' to where everyone is bisexual.

https://www.petertatchellfoundation.org/the-future-is-bisexual-get-over-it/

I believe he forms these opinions as direct result of living his life as far as one can exclusively in a subculture. I doubt he has a single straight "normie" friend. Straight radical lefties don't count 😁

I don’t think you’ve struck a nerve at all, it’s just being pointed out that The Guardian regularly publishes content that is transphobic. Rather than engaging in proper dialog, you run and hide behind the sneery ‘Struck a nerve, have I?’ There’s more than one writer who writes for The Guardian is transphobic, they even have their own little group:

The online gathering of the newly formed ‘Sex Equality Group’, which lasted an hour, and which I have seen in full, featured no trans people. During the Q&A session towards the end, the first question asked if the panel should have included a trans or non-binary journalist. It failed to mention that no trans or non-binary journalist will work for The Guardian due to the transphobia in its offices and pages.

Pratley read the question and provided the answer, taking no input from others, saying, “I think the answer to that is this is not BBC Question Time and this event is not the Dialogue Project. I don’t think anyone should be greatly surprised that the first event from the Sex Equality Group comprises members of the Sex Equality Group.”

https://transwrites.world/guardian-writers-and-editor-set-up-group-to-make-guardian-more-transphobic/?noamp=available

Cracking example of ‘proper dialog’ there 😏

But as this discussion is related to sports, and because Sean Ingle IS the chief sports writer and columnist for The Guardian, then one only has to examine his record (not going to assume the man writes transphobic content on the basis of a single piece of evidence that may well be taken out of context), so in reflection on his record, he has written more articles about transgender athletes and transgender policies in sports, than articles he’s ever written about women in sports!

I don’t expect you to take my word for it, but I did check, and while checking I did come across this article he wrote for the Irish Times, not the Guardian, because I really wanted to be fair, and in it he is none too complimentary of corporate interests in women’s sports and Seb Coe in particular comes in for scathing criticism, for IAAF (as it was in 2019) decisions which Ingle disagrees with:

But it is not just at Nike where athletes’ voices are not being heard by the powerful. It is all across the sport. Hours before Cain spoke out, athletics’ governing body announced that it was removing (or restricting) the 200m, steeplechase, triple jump and a number of other events from its prestigious 2020 Diamond League schedule – which would also be reduced from two hours to 90 minutes.

The reason, according to IAAF president Seb Coe is to make a “faster-paced, more exciting global league that will be the showcase for our sport”.

I have not found a single current athlete who agrees with the decision, which was reached after online research in China, France, South Africa and the US; post-event surveys in Belgium, Britain and Switzerland; and click-throughs on Diamond League social media videos during 2019.

You could drive a Usain Bolt-sized hole through that methodology.

https://archive.ph/z6e6T

But when the same organisation and the same President of the organisation develops a policy which agrees with Ingle’s already held view, oh then it’s science! And we all know you can’t argue with science! 🧐

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/jan/23/world-athletics-transgender-regulations-see-scientific-rigour-give-way-to-a-fudge

I’d say that’s pretty fcuking convenient 😒

The thing I note about the likes of Helen Joyce is there is no Helen Joyce equivalent on the opposition. I.e. someone who is able to match Joyce intellectually. There was an attempt to debate her on her level but turned out to be a farce.

Oh come on man, that’s like pointing out there’s nobody can match Gemma O’ Doherty intellectually - the question is why would anyone bother? it only legitimises Joyce’s nonsense. And truly it is nonsense, as pointed out in a review of both her book and Kathleen Stocks book, contrasting and comparing the two, in the Guardian, of course 😁

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jul/18/trans-by-helen-joyce-material-girls-by-kathleen-stock-reviews

Totes not transphobic drivel though 🤨

hardly makes an entire newspaper "transphobic", does it?

I dunno, because I never said that did I? They platform people like Helen Joyce who are transphobic. What's the point of writing up a reply if you haven't understood mine..?

Thought it might have been a bit rude of me to accuse you of sealioning, but going "oh you've only named one author" (which again, read the words that are on the page, I named two of them) is such a classic bit of moving goalposts, I know you wouldn't care if I had a million examples.

BTW I love when people say "offended by a simple opinion". An opinion is literally what you think about something. Yeah, I do take offense when people's opinions about transgender people are crap. So what.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

To bring it back on topic. Anyone have anything to say in defense of men (who identify as anything other than a man) competing in women's sports?

• Advertisement

If you are offended by someones opinion, that says more about you than anything. You are essentially offended by free speech, someone disagrees with you or your position on something...how dare they, I am offended. Just a whimper, that is all you have.

Oh great, another long post of trying to sound smart and informed...nothing new there.

You have only posted about someone else's opinions, that is all they are. You just resort to calling them "transphobic" because...well because you can't really argue with what they are saying, can you? You just attack the author, not what they are saying.

You bring in Gemma O'Doherty, yeah she is relevant to this discussion.

Here is a tip, if you read someones opinion, and you really believe it is nonsense (as you call it), just ignore it. Their right to free speech is your right to ignoring them. See how that works?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

This whole thread is about whether it's your gender or your sex that matters when it comes to women's sport and it's been shown repeatedly that it's your sex. It's not transphobic to say this, it's perfectly rational and all the evidence is on one side here.

Considering those two women make the argument that your sex matters maybe you should have a think about do you have an irrational phobia/hatred of a certain group.

You've convinced me.

Now, because of my commitment to Free Speech, I wont criticize someone for thinking whatever they'd like. I agree with everything anyone says now, even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff.

Some day you might even heed your own tip, that day is clearly not today 😏

That’s exactly the point I was making in response to allforit pointing out that nobody seems capable of being able to match Helen Lovejoy Joyce - anyone who is capable, just isn’t bothered.

Wait how come Helen gets her free speech to say what she wants but I'm supposed to ignore it if I disagree. Seems a bit hypocritical?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It would help if you clarified why you think someone is transphobic.

Saying you don't want to serve or be served in a restaurant by a trans person is 100% transphobic and is not acceptable.

Saying that sex, not gender, is the more important characteristic is not transphobic. There is no real evidence that suppressing your testosterone or increasing your testosterone equalises the athletic performance between the sexes. There is strong evidence that it changes things minimally. So allowing transwomen to compete in women's sport is legalising doping. As shown by some transwomen never competing in a sport before transitioning and then within a couple of years competing at a high level in that sport and for those who have competed in their sport before transitioning they then get a big jump in the rankings when they move to women's sport. Neither of these things happen for Transmen.

Saying that sex, not gender, is the more important characteristic is not transphobic.

That’s as subjective as your restaurant example. In law they’re treated as characteristics for the purposes of equality and protection from discrimination. Sports organisations don’t actually get to make up their own laws.

It’s not legalising doping either, there are numerous drugs which are prohibited, and for which a therapeutic use exemption is permitted. That doesn’t constitute legalised doping.

Most of them don’t jump in the rankings at all, but you don’t hear about them, precisely because they don’t jump in the rankings. They’re obviously still competing with women in sports and have been doing so for years.

Males have a physical advantage over females.

That's not subjective, that's a fact.

• Advertisement

I never said you were to ignore it. I said it was a choice to ignore it, one which you have not chosen.

You reverted to just calling it "transphobic" because you simply disagreed with it. That is hardly engaging in any kind of discourse, you are throwing your toys out of the pram.

You said it was "objectively true" that the Guardians views and articles were transphobic, you also called a particular journalist a "professional transphobe", again that is childish. Referencing another as her "crony", seems very engaging. And to top it all off you call them "bigots" simply because they have a different opinion to yours.

Call me a hypocrite all you want (or try to at least), I am not the one reverting to insults or branding journalists because I disagree with them.

Advertisement