Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residential to airbnb

Options
  • 23-01-2024 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi all,

We have a 2 bed in dublin 1 we've been trying to rent for last 3 months but the market has turned. Fewer relocations into dublin by tech sector.

We're thinking of trying our hand at airbnb. Anyone done this and can they give advice? Would have to be medium term lets over 14 days otherwise planning permission needed. We not sure if the hassle and expense worth small extra revenue,but interested to hear perspectives.

Thanks

MB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

It is my understanding from others that the demand for rental has slowed down. I still didn't expect for Dublin 1.

I would say Airbnb would be good once you know the rules. There are few people on boards.ie who can respond on the Airbnb aspect.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

How come you can't rent it? Posters here are saying there is a housing crisis and its impossible to find anywhere to rent...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What does your apartment lease say about short-term let's?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LongfordMB

I'm sure if we drop the rent enough we'd rent it. But we've already dropped it 200 and don't want to go any further as only allowed 2% rises after that. Classic case of government policy of interfering in the market having unintended consequences of making airbnb more attractive.

What is the rent and is it close to market rent or way below?

Additional vacancy may cost more lolg term than lowering the rent to get it earning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Airbnb is super way to let your apartment without the drawbacks of a tenancy, but you have to know what you are letting yourself in for. Read carefully the relevant regulations and consider how they will apply to you. You also have to consider the time taken to clean the property between letting, or the cost if you are paying someone to do it. You can however charge your guests a cleaning fee. In relation to neighbours, I’ve been a host for 5 years now, and know the neighbours, we have never once had a complaint from any of them, so don’t take to much notice of those who will tell you it is a major issue, most guests respect the rules.

All in all, my experience with Airbnb has been very positive, I like the freedom it gives me on that particular property so sell if and when I want, and if the period you can let if for covers your mortgage, that’s the way to go. You probably know this already, Airbnb reports all income on the site to Revenue.

I have a cottage on AirBNB. Its pretty much empty during the winter. During the summer I have a minimum of 4 days rental as its a pain in the ass to clean it for each party. The problem with cleaning is that it costs about 70 euro cash whereas the income is taxable. So my property has to basically earn €140 to cover cleaning. So I have to clean it myself.

OP, I'm not sure if you will get guests for more than 14 days? I have only once had this in 3 years. Also there is quite a lot of maintenance involved besides cleaning. Also, you really need to live close by and be available if there any problems etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnnyvegas221

How much you renting it for, i will gladly rent it off you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Surely there is something wrong with it if you can't manage to rent it in three months?

And how high is the rent that you can't get even get a decent amount for it, while still covering any reasonable costs?

If you check rent.ie now there are over 5 pages of places to rent only in Dublin 1. That is a lot of rentals available in one spot.

Perhaps this is why you find hard to rent it out.

Living the life

• Advertisement

Do you really think 5 places to rent, in an area the size of Dublin 1, is a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

They said 5 pages. Plus it’s in Dublin 1 so a bit of a dodgy area!

5 pages. Average of 20 listings per page. About 100 apartments to rent in Dublin 1 only.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If any area's so dodgy that you cannot get tenants, is it realistic to get AirBnB customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

If its D1 its city centre so there will always be a major tourist market.

Even if its in a rough part of D1.

There are a lot of nice apartments in the North Docklands that are coming to market. Technically they are in D1 and will appeal to professionals working in the Docklands, but these properties are probably driving down the price of D1 city centre rentals, which is still rough and amongst the most deprived areas in the entire city.

There are basically 2 markets in D1.

Oconnell st area, which is rough and is probably seeing price drops.

Docklands area which is much nicer and with a high supply of new apartments hitting the market and at high prices, 2.3k for a 1 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

How much are you charging in rent and how much is the mortgage per month? I sense you’re probably trying to charge extortionate rent and nobody is willing to pay it.

Especially if its in the Oconnell St area/north inner city.

People dont want to live there unless they have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

An indian guy that works with me is looking to move himself and wife from Galway to Dublin.

He was asking me where to rent and I gave him some options with good transport options including Dublin 1.

First thing he said was, what about the riots and violence in the city center? Dublin 1 has been tarnished and that will take a while to wear off.

• Advertisement

And that is exactly how the free market works. He needs to keep dropping the price until he gets offers. That is then the market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

The market for a rental in Dublin that's longer than two weeks but less than six months is probably fairly small. Your chances of filling the place consistently throughout the year are slim, so odds are you'll get less in the end going that route than you would by just doing a long-term rental at a reasonable market price.

What are you asking for rent? Market rates for a two-bed in D1 would probably range from a couple grand for a place in a seedy location to a few grand for a new build in the Docklands. A lot of new landlords make the mistake of assuming that if the rent isn't at least double their mortgage payment then they're "losing money", which isn't the case; you'll have negative cash flow, but you are still making a profit in the long term via building equity in your property. If you can't afford to sustain that negative cash flow but market rents for a property like yours in that area are not more than double your monthly repayment, then you simply can't afford to be in the landlord business, and you'll need to consider selling instead.

Where is that cottage is it D1?

Yes it sounds like the over 14 days restriction will make it difficult. I do know someone making 70k a year with a 2 bed from medium term lets but that's D2. The question as others have said is would I fill it with 14+ day lets sufficiently to exceed income from dropping long term rent even further. Interested to know if anyone else does medium term lets in city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect for many owners who choose Airbnb/short let, exceeding income earned by tenancy is not the only, or possibly even the most important consideration. Not being tied into a tenancy is the main for me as I consider whether to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JVince

Why not just hire cleaners that don't require cash so you can write it off? Maybe you are happy to clean it yourself, but I'd rather someone else do it myself.

I have yet to meet a cleaner who will work on the books and have the flexibility to clean short term rentals. This kind of work seems to be all cash in hand, in my experience....

A few people asked what the rent is?

Are you getting viewings but no takers or no interest at all?

Is it in an ok part of D1 or one that, let's say, could be better?

It's in good part of D1. Yes there have been viewings but no takers yet. Fully aware we could drop the rent but not mad about locking in a lower rent.

Looking on airbnb now can see 2 beds that can be taken for 6k in July. Anyone doing this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,761 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basically, if you haven't had any takes in this market, you are asking too much.

Advertised prices are not an indication of people actually paying that for them. Even if they are, 6k for July and nothing for the rest of the year is equivalent to 500 quid a month.

Advertisement