Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Item 3 below will particularly apply to Ben Gvir and Smotrich, both of whom have strong views about the Palestinians. Given their penchant for outbursts, I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of them double down.

Source: Haaretz (paywall)

ICJ: The International Court of Justice at The Hague gave its interim ruling on emergency orders relating to South Africa's petition accusing Israel of committing genocide in Gaza. The ICJ stopped short of ordering an cease-fire, but a large majority of the 17-judge panel voted for six urgent provisional measures:

1. For Israel to take "all measures" to prevent acts of genocide from taking place

2. To ensure the IDF does not engage in any acts of genocide

3. To prevent and punish public incitement to genocide, including by government and military officials

4. To enable basic services and humanitarian aid to reach Gazan civilians

5. To preserve evidence related to violations of Genocide Convention

6. To submit a report to the ICJ within one month on all measures taken

Netanyahu's remark, quoted below, seems to be a faux pas.

Haaretz:

Israel's foreign ministry said that Israel remains committed to abide by international law. PM Netanyahu said the court's decision "rightly rejected the outrageous demand to deny" Israel the right to basic self-defense, but added that the court's willingness to discuss the claim that Israel is committing genocide in Gaza "is a mark of disgrace that will not be erased for generations."

Netanyahu has jeopardised the release of hostages. More than a faux pas.

He is a serious liability to Israel - so no change there then.

Haaretz

CEASE-FIRE NEGOTIATIONS: The U.S. believes that the leaked recording of PM Netanyahu criticizing Qatar set hostage negotiation efforts back, a U.S. State Department spokesperson said, adding that "Qatar has been an integral, irreplaceable, key regional partner."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If Hamas would release the hostages it would surely intensify the pressure on Israel. As long as they don't Israel will use it as the main reason for the bombing. Hamas do not want this war to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If that is the case, then it indicates the IDF is failing to realise Bibi's objective thus far. As otherwise Hamas would surely be looking for a way out.

• Advertisement

Good point. That seems to be the Hamas position. They are using them as a bargaining chip, as they always have.

There is hope though that the 30 day pause, with specified Israeli and Palestinian releases, will calm things down enough to allow humanitarian aid to get into Gaza.

Once all hostages are released, Israel will still continue their action against Hamas.

But with the levelling of Gaza, you'd have to question the Israeli bona fides about their actions solely being associated with hostage releases and Hamas destruction.

I can't see how bulldozing cemeteries or demolishing universities and courthouses are aligned to those objectives.

And neither did the ICJ.

Haaretz

GAZA: UNRWA said it is investigating the alleged involvement of several of its employees in Hamas' October 7 massacre, and that it had severed ties with these staff members. The U.S. said it is "extremely troubled by the allegations," and that it will suspend funding to UNRWA as it reviews the charges and "the steps the UN is taking to address them."

Anyone know why the UN special representative on sexual violence is going to the West Bank?

Haaretz

The U.S. has created a channel with Israel to discuss concerns over incidents in Gaza in which civilians have been killed or wounded by the IDF or civilian facilities have been targeted, two U.S. officials told Reuters.

The UN special representative on sexual violence in conflict will arrive in Israel on Monday to collect information on crimes committed by Hamas terrorists on October 7and will also visit the West Bank, her office said.

Not sure if that was a rhetorical question but, yes, Gallant stated today that the SA submission was antisemitic.

The fact the Israeli ad hoc judge voted for two of the findings against Israel seems to have been lost on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Netenyahu makes the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion look like The Hungry Catarpillar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

cheap shot really but sure got a couple of likes.

You’re not big into making evidence based judgements are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

One incursion by Hamas into Israel on October 7 2023 , however horrific, doesn't justify Israeli genocide of the Gaza population. It doesn't justify the Israeli invoking of self defence. It does not justify that monster Netanyahu invoking the holocaust and never again. The ICJ hasn't used the word genocide in its ruling but by it's detailed ruling it has in effect. For Israel to be accused of genocide, even indirectly, is a devastating ruling especially given how the very modern state of Israel came into being. It also has potentially devastating consequences for genocide Joe Biden as he seeks to be re-elected.

To think that an American president could be directly linked/implicated to genocide is mind boggling. The worry is that Trump is equally wedded to Israel and would most likely give them a blank cheque to continue slaughtering Palestinians.

“It doesn't justify the Israeli invoking of self defence.”

Eh?

I can see how other posters can argue that the actions of the IDF may go beyond self defence but to suggest self defence after Oct 7th is not justified is completely unreasonable.

Sometimes posters make good and fair points and the chuck in dumb stuff which ruins it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

Self defence is taking targeted action against those that hurt you. What Israel is doing is genocide. It goes way beyond self defence. You can't claim self defence as you commit mass murder of innocent civilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,723 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We could soon be accused of being an antisemitic country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

That term is becoming a bit like being called a racist when you argue for limits on immigration and border control. The term is so overused now that it has lost all of its original meaning.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 51,723 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

(CNN) Pressure mounting on Netanyahu =

And in Israel, Netanyahu faces domestic opposition: More than 40 senior former Israeli national security officials, celebrated scientists and prominent business leaders have sent a letter to Israel’s president and speaker of parliament demanding that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu be removed from office for posing what they say is an “existential” threat to the country. They say Netanyahu is responsible for “creating the circumstances” that led to the massacre in Israel on October 7. “The victim’s blood is on Netanyahu’s hands,” the letter reads. It comes as other political figures have also called for fresh elections, saying the public has no trust in its government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Israel seem quite adept to following the Russian way of thinking and acting. Maybe they introduce a law where you can't criticize the government of their 'Special Military Operation - SMO'. Or as the ICJ has ruled, Potential Genocidal War - PGW

Side note, the public elected the government, despite them not having the majority of public support. Isn't that how it works? Guilt by election?

See that’s a different argument than saying it didn’t justify self defence. At least your revised position is arguable. What you said above was not. Glad you have caught on now.

• Advertisement

What does the map image in your footer mean given you are an expert in what antisemitic means?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is it not obvious that the more Israel try and crush a Palestinian insurgence (as they see it) the more they are actually turning Palestinians against them along with moderates around the world.

I mean it’s fairly obvious no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So you think Biden is still popular in Ireland? I doubt it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Incredibly obvious, we've been saying that even here from the very start.

And of course the reason it's so obvious is because that's what their government want, no real peace, just further excuses/cover to continue their ethnic cleansing and settling of the West Bank

Possibly but what is the alternative for Israel and how would plan for the day after?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eh no, I don't think you actually read the ruling. Don't be fooled by the spin being put on this ruling by pro-Palestinian media.

What the court said was ""At least some of the acts and omissions alleged by South Africa to have been committed by Israel in Gaza appear to be capable of falling within the provisions of the (Genocide) Convention,". Key words in that sentence from a legal point of view are "alleged" thereby not proven, and "appear to be capable of", which again is less than what you think it is. Certainly, the ICJ did not

Go back to what I have said all along:

(1) The hostages taken on October 7th must be immediately released because that is a war crime - The ICJ ruled that they must be released immediately and unconditionally. I was correct on that point. Incidentally, the ICJ made no mention of Palestinian prisoners in Israel, despite the numerous posts on here claiming they were the same. So pretty much I was correct again about that being a red herring.

(2) Israel has a right to defend itself against the October 7th terrorist attack and is entitled to enter Gaza to do so - By not ordering a ceasefire, the ICJ have confirmed this to be the case. Once again, I was correct under international law.

(3) There is no proof that Israel has committed war crimes or genocide given the nature of its self-defence - This is a direct quote from the court ruling: "The court does not have the evidence to decide whether or not Israel has committed genocide in Gaza, but directs Israel to comply with its obligations under the Genocide Convention—to which Israel, as a party to the Genocide Convention since 1950, has long committed itself." Once again, in pointing out that Israel's acts would need investigation and that there are doubts that they broke international law (unlike the clear and unequivocal evidence that Hamas broke international law), and that it would take a long time to determine this under international law, I was also correct.

Now, remember, I haven't posted on this since before Christmas, I was fed up with the constant lies and clearly anti-semitic posts which didn't understand international law, and remember, I also said that I wasn't expressing support for what Israel was doing (despite attempts to label me as such).

Finally, the ICJ is a court under the United Nations. Today, the United Nations is facing a crisis, as it appears that one of its agencies was complicit in the committal of terrorist actions. If anything poses a challenge to international law, it is that the self-proclaimed arbiter of international law took part in illegal terrorist actions.

Don't bother replying as I won't be engaging with the nonsense on this thread, just here to point out that I was correct in what I said about international law all along.

I don't remember where I claimed to be an expert in the meaning of the word "antisemitic" perhaps you could point out where I claimed to be an expert in this subject?

To answer your first question for me the image in my signature means that for me. I would like to see Israel and Palestine peacefully coexisting one day, hopefully within my lifetime I would like to see both nations living side-by-side in peace. Perhaps in a style similar to nations in Europe that are part of Schengen where people can freely cross between both nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think it was obvious they just have evacuated civilians from Gaza before bombing the place, it would had taken time but at the moment sure they can kill militants with bombs but only at the cost of killing a lot of innocents. They probably just count every male killed of military age as a militant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That isn't the meaning of your signature.

Your signature is an expression of the desire of Hamas and others to wipe out all Jews from the river to the sea. In fact, by including that signature, you are implicitly supporting the genocide of the Jews.

• Advertisement

So is it okay when the Israeli Prime Minister used similar wording in a recent speech he gave? If I'm not mistaken, he said along the lines of everything west of the River Jordan should be Israeli.

I've already explained how I see the meaning of the words in my signature and I'm sure many others share similar sentiments. Remember which country is under investigation by the ICJ for genocide.

Advertisement