Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not bitter for a start. And certainly not bitchy. I wouldnt have time to sit around the coffee table to gossip about how many times someone was late or their sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

That's the point it's the headline figure all people see. Joe Public sees the headline figure and does not read (or absorb) that it's spread out until 2026

Inflationary pressure is on the increase again, between the continuing Russian agression and Isreal being Isreal. We'll barely keep pace

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭bren2001

Inflation is 0% since the start of the deal. People on this thread will go, the effective increase in 2024 is 3.08% and inflation is predicted to be 3.5%, we’re losing money with this deal. When in fact your comparing two completely different numbers that have zero relationship to one another.

This deal doesn’t address the outstanding 6.5%. This deal does address inflation over the next 2.5 years. Easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The unions really need to be coming out visibly saying it is 9.25% - otherwise theyre trying to hoodwink their own members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭757TFFIU

Like others have mentioned, I'll vote no to this, but expect it to pass comfortably. I feel the figure of 10.25% is being mis-sold. When the sectoral bargaining is taken into account, it's really only a guarantee of 9.25% - there's no guarantee of the extra 1%. I'm also not in favour of a pay agreement that is in excess of two years - we're getting a reasonable 4.25% this year, however, towards the end of the agreement, we are only being drip fed 1% in February 2026 and a further 1% in June 2026.

It will be interesting to see what the turnout will be when it comes to the ballot. Looking back on the Forsa ballot for the last pay agreement, the turnout was very poor. Only 67% of people eligible to vote did, so for whatever reason one third of people eligible to vote didn't - https://www.forsa.ie/bm061022/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just looking at your post from August, the first thing that jumps out is your incorrect claim that Templemore can only hold 200 students at a time. That's incorrect, it regularly had 800 students at a time from 2014 - 2020. Even more in the 2000's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've lost you. Are you trying to argue there is no correlation between inflation and salary rises?

No, im not arguing that.

Im pointing out that people on this thread are claiming the effective pay increase for 2024 is 3.08%. They are then going and looking at the predicted inflation rate for 2024 and saying we’re losing money.

The predicted inflation rate for 2024 is 2.7% (EU from Nov., this may have been updated). The effective inflation would therefore be 1.5% (approx and assuming it’s linear).

This deal will easily outstrip inflation over the next 2.5 years.

This deal does not address the outstanding 6.5%.

edit: this “effective” pay increase for 2024 stuff is just nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I notice you have avoided answering the question.

Have you rejoined the Union since we last discussed it on January 9th, or not?

All that is required is a yes or no answer.

Because if not, you're lying about having a vote, and FYI, "an opinion" is not the same as a vote.

Everything else you say to me, frankly, is irrelevant to me, though making misogynistic remarks is a new low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,464 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Most of the sector cash seemed to be just paid out pro rata in the last deal.

• Advertisement

Was that aimed at me?

Yes i am now in the union. A few reasons why i rejoined.

Unlike the pseu and ahcp etc id never cross a picket. Regardless of my views on potential strike action i wouldnt break a picket. Im not a scab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Frankly, given all you've said on this thread, I choose not believe a word of this.

Ok. That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. I can appreciate where you are coming from.

Inflation has been zero since Jan 1st?

Fantastic!

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

We’ve no measurement until it’s measured in February by the CSO. It’s a discrete system.

Inflation for 2024 is predicted to be 2.7%. Assuming it’s linear, that’s 0.23% per month. Were being given 2.25% on day one.

This deal will easily cover inflation over the period of the deal.

this deal does not cover the outstanding 6.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

I’m keeping this simple for illustrative purposes.

On 1st January 2024, Person 1 and Person 2 earn €100k per annum each, therefore their household earns €200k per annum.

Both get a pay increase of 9.25% over 2.5 years in a deal that ends on 30 June 2026.

On 1st July 2026 both Person A and Person B earn €109,250 each, therefore their household income increases to €218,500, an increase of 9.25%, not 25%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When simple figures confuse someone there is probably no point trying to argue with them

As for the deal - I don't think it's great but I don't think we'll get better so a yes from me.

Unions have failed me previously in the past so have no high regard for them/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

On the 1% for September 2025, my reading of this is that there is Collective Bargaining open for discussion until Summer 2024. The maximum agreement under this arrangement is 3%, with the first payment in September 2025.

However, if we're good little piggies, and don't take any form of industrial action, we will get the 1% in September. I am open to correction on this, but this was done in previous agreement(s).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭amacca

That's a lot better than I was going to reply

I was thinking why not have a threesome and then it's an increase of 29.75%

Shit if one was even a little more adventurous and didn't just dabble in polygamy but really committed the sky is the limit...if you had 4 the increase is 37%😂...that's absoluting beating the living **** out of inflation

Cant believe noone thought of this before as a way to get unlimited free money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

No its not. It is up to the unions to decide at a sectoral level how to divide up the 1% e.g. a larger amount to deal with a pay issue in one group vs a 1% for everyone. Can't blame the govt for this one if we don't all get the 1%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

This deal sounds great on paper. Media reporting salary increases of 10%+. It is true that your salary will be 9.8% higher on 1st June 2026 but the reality is that you're only coming out with 5.7% more money than if there had been no pay increases at all and this is over 30 months.

The actual pay increases are 3.35% for 2024, 3.1% for 2025 and 1% to June 30th 2026. Hardly jaw dropping figures and these figures won't be enough to stem the flow of emigrating teachers, nurses, and other essential public servants.

I'll vote against this deal but the reality is it will pass.

Post edited by Peter Flynt on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭combat14

is there a mechanism in the latest deal to revise the 2025, 2026 figures like last time if inflation powers ahead again e.g. due to war in red sea disrupting oil etc.

otherwise in current uncertain environment the deal is not worth it

Has coffee with a teacher mate of mine. He and colleagues are delighted with the deal. Teachers are never usually happy so that speaks a lot.

For the posters who think its a poor deal ill ask again. What figure would you have settled for?

Youre not delighted. People have differing views.

The only negative views i have heard about the package have been on boards.

What % would you be happy with?

Definitely higher than 3.4% this year, 3.1% in 2025 and 1% in 2026 ..... which is all this deal is offering.

I'd begrudgingly take this deal over 18 months

Why is only 5.7% more money in your pocket over the next 2 years a bad thing?

What's the equivalent inflation calculation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

A teacher on point 9 is on €54,374 today.

With increments, they will be on €58425 after two years. Apply the 9.5% increase at the time the deal expires sees an increase of €5,404 to €63,829

€54,374 today to €63,829 when the deal expires is an increase of 17%

If married to a spouse who's also a teacher, they'll also get an increase of 17%

Advertisement