Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

Welcome aboard the affordable rental model for workers lobby group train Dave

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm pretty sure legally it is just a normal landlord tenant relationship so they can't evict you even if you quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

I’d love to see companies outbidding the state. Better to provide housing for the working than the non-working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

looks like reit investors here are scrambling to get out fast

Largest shareholder in Ires Reit backs plans for sale of company’s €1.5bn property portfolio

In a setback for management at the Irish property group, Capreit has back plans tabled by an activist investor to sell the company’s property assets

(business post)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The middle class as we know it today it historically an anomaly. For most of human history across nearly all cultures, there was a ruling/martial class, some sort of clerical class and then everyone else. As globalism continues to erode the wealth of what we call the middle class, those at the top will gather up more and more. I've said it before, if something dramatic doesn't alter the direct of things in a fundamental way, living in modern tenements will be normalised here within a few decades. Maybe there's a reason why so many Science-Fiction stories envisaged future cities as dystopian, over-crowded nightmares...

It's sad. So much effort was made in the latter half of the 20th century to provide decent housing for the Irish people, and it's all be sold up a river for the sake of short-term profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,449 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Out of interest, where is the line separating middle and the top class?

It's a bit abstract. I would class someone as "middle class" if they are able to own their own home, support a family and have a reasonably comfortable life. Obviously, there are going to be variations within that group, and there's no clear line that can be said to divide upper and middle classes neatly.

In the European middle ages, most property was owned by a very small number of people. Those who worked the land almost never owned their land. Rather, they held it and worked it for the sake of their lord. This is an aspect of feudalism, though the system itself is fiendishly more complicated.

I ask because someone who would struggle to buy a home and do the things you say may easily be able to afford a home/live comfortably on the same wage outside Dublin. Also, young fin/tech workers are amongst the highest paid, would they now be above your typical middle class by virtue to current and potential high earning power?

I’m struggling to see the relevance of Middle Ages land ownership to today.

On a more positive note.

"would they now be above your typical middle class"

There's no "my" about it. I'm talking about something that is a recognised part of the social hierarchy. We can talk about things such the hypothetical that you mention and the article that you quote, but broadly speaking the rate of home ownership is declining here:

It actually went up in 2022, but the overall pattern is moving down. What's also worth mentioning is that many people classed as home-owners hold huge mortgages, so can they really be said to own their house? Well I'll leave that open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes, they are homeowners, that's not really debateable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I don't know if this was ever posted before but I thought you guys would find it interesting, seeing as it goes against most of the arguments on here.

The article - https://positivemoney.org/2019/09/bank-of-england-confirms-positive-money-analysis-of-house-prices/

The more detailed research - https://bankunderground.co.uk/2019/09/06/houses-are-assets-not-goods-taking-the-theory-to-the-uk-data/#more-5400

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

You're assuming part of your employment contract wont be allowed to cover that. If your housing is classified as similar to a company car or laptop, as something only integral as part of your job, then it will absolutely be stripped from you if you leave. Or they can write it in to withhold bonuses, or salary, or other financial measures if you refuse to leave.

That aside, even if you decide to refuse to leave and get to stay for a while, what sort of work reference do you think your ex employer will give you if you refuse to leave their property after changing jobs? Its very easy to bad mouth someone in an industry in a city as small as Dublin. What sort of home environment do you think you'd have living in that kind of insecurity/hostility?

Theres just no way that living in accomodation provided by your employer is better for an employee than being in the private rental market, if the private rental market is at all functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Interesting article but flawed analysis

Rather, the Bank’s researchers confirm our view that high house prices are driven by the role of finance. In particular, they identify the role of the central bank’s own monetary policy (i.e. historically low interest rates) in driving up house prices

It's correct that low rates are causing the rise in prices, incorrect to state this is not due to supply and demand. Cheap credit is a demand multiplier of sorts - that is house prices could be described simplisticly as:

Price = (demand/supply) * credit

More demand less supply and prices go up, equally more credit and regardless of supply-demand balance prices also go up.

The price rises are striking. In the 1930s a typical three bed house was just 1 and a half times the average annual salary. By 1997 the average house price was 3.6 times the average salary. But in just twenty years that has more than doubled to nearly 8 times, and in London an ‘affordable’ home is 13 times first-time buyers’ salaries. 

But what were interest rates in the 1930s? Or 1997?

In the 30s UK rates were between 4 and 6%. 97 was around 6% also. The lifetime cost of a mortgage (and therefore the house) depends on interest rate also, not just the headline price. Unless you think a 300k house in Dublin is a steal even when interest rates are 10%?

Very very Simplified lifetime cost of mortgage would be:

Cost = principal * rate * duration

3 main factors then impacting actual price to acquire a house, with principal (advertised selling price) being just 1 of those. For BoE analysis to not look at lifetime cost of loans and instead only ratio of principal:income, is incredibly amateurish for what should be their bread and butter.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭hometruths

Surely you're saying the same thing as the study?

Lower interest rates drive up prices.

I think we all knew that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

My ex used to work for Ryanair in Spain and lived in Ryanair provided accommodation. They move you to a different house every few months so you cant ever get any rights. Then after a year they ask you to get your own accomodation or you can move to yet another Ryanair house and pay even more rent. Not sure what rights you would get in Spain, but Ryanair are definitely ahead of it.

There was a case a few years ago involving a hotel and their staff who were housed in accommodation nearby, can’t remember the name, if memory serves me correctly the RTB/WRC ruled that a tenancy didn’t exist if residency was conditional on employment.

Ill see if I can find it.

The study attempts to claim that shortage of houses plays no part in affordability crisis or price inflation - which is nonsense. There are multiple factors at play, interest rates are just one. Supply/demand is still true here - the article claims otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

these articles are aimed at the UK. Sealed bids are more common in the UK, certainly in Scotland anyway there’s a closing date set and all parties that are interested send in their sealed bid, the highest bid gets the house. There isn’t the lose the run of yourself desperate panic bidding we see here, which in a tight market sends prices spiralling. I’ve seen 50k bids coming in for houses last year, this type of bidding sets future expectations. Any seller and agent aware of what’s going on around them will sit on a house until it reaches the amount they want, it looks good for the agent to achieve high prices. It’s only those going into a chain where they need to sell within a timeframe that might let their home sell for less than they expect as they don’t want to lose their future house. On that note I’ve been lied to about a house being in a chain by an agent who was selling both the vendors home and the home they were purchasing. He didn’t want buyers to know they needed to sell so he could negotiate the price up to their ‘minimum’. He played ‘dumb’ about it when we found out they were in a chain, even though he was involved in both transactions.

In UK sealed bids are less than 25% of sales.

Majority of sales are open bidding similar to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What does Leo mean by "enough housing for everyone to buy"? Is renting not viewed as acceptable anymore given that "to buy" is fundamental?

The fundamental thing we need to ensure is there is enough housing for everyone to buy,” Varadkar said. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

In Scotland a closing date is set if more than one person has noted an interest in a property, in the last couple of years I’m certain more than 25% of Scottish homes have had more than 1 person interested in purchasing them. Once the closing date is set all interested parties place their offer in a sealed bid. Seller then gets to choose the offer, more often than not it would be the highest offer but I’ve had an offer accepted which wasn’t the highest, different times and I got on well with the seller (you often show your own home to buyers in Scotland, EA often just does the marketing). Sealed bids may occur less in England. House buying and legal systems are very different, perhaps that’s the 25% you mention.

https://www.warnersllp.com/news/property-jargon-buster-–-how-do-closing-dates-work-in-scotland/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭hometruths

The Scottish system is brilliant, I'd love to see it in action here. Sadly that will never happen.

The Scottish system can lead to people paying way over the odds for property because you only get one good go at it before you lose out.

In addition, sealed bid process is also open to manipulation by agents. This is a big issue in the UK also, with agents lying about other bids and then suggesting the sale moves to sealed bids to close, implying that bidders should bid more for their last to close, when in actual fact there may be only one top bidder already.

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Totally different circumstances.

The Tiger demand was all built on pure fluff, people getting mad credit to buy investment properties, 2nd homes, whatever have you. The demand now is people trying to buy the family home.

There is no comparison.

Shock, horror

Really should have rules about public representatives being the beneficiary of public spending

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

There's plenty of people benefitting from this scheme.

800 a month per room means you would get near 80k for a 4 bed house if you started renting in 2022. No wonder people can't find rentals.

Agree with you on property tax. At a minimum they should be double there current rate to compensate the state for the services provided to most homes. In the overall context taxes are far too low on property, removing them (a daft policy) is not going to move the needle much

Property taxes would be double had the government not changed the rates due to house price appreciation. The purpose of the tax was to diversify state income and but a brake on house price appreciation.

Instead of this we have a series of charges on new builds affecting new entrants like water connection fee ensuring the burden is passed to the minority rather than spread across the population, a continuation of the 08 bust where the majority of the heavy lifting was put on generations to come.

These charges while being a kicking for our youth were a transfer to homeowners as the value of their properties rose as the cost of new supply increased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Agreed, and as well as the extremely low rates of property tax, the evidence would suggest values are chronically underreported.

The people paying on the true value of their house are primarily those who have bought recently…mostly younger people. So long term homeowners are largely paying tiny percentages on an under-declared value.

Populism at its very worst.

• Advertisement

Housing supply depends on the approach. If your policy is to increase price to increase supply, you get what we have now in that a record low proportion of new builds are available for sale, possibly less so for rental as the price means that its only viable for short term letting or other niche markets. This policy also increases land prices making affordability far less likely and a barrier to entry for smaller operations

The other noticeable change is the number of self builds over the last 3/4 years which now accounts for 25% of new supply. This shows us that there a large number of small operators that could be levaraged to provide multiple units in our towns and villages and provide competition for the large developers that seem to constantly have the current governments ear

Had we a policy that reduces costs, we could get more builders providing more supply and more competition which further cools price appreciation.

Advertisement