Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,667 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You claim to be better than them, to want a two-state solution.

Your hypocrisy is now clear for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭volchitsa

LOL that will show Netanyahu alright! I'm sure he's really upset.

The point is that you can't pretend to want to two state solution when that's your signature - Netanyahu doesn't pretend to so at least he's more honest than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Absolutely. I know the Palestinian side is better than the Israeli side. Remind me again. Which country is up for trial by the ICJ for breaching the Geneva Convention?

I am for a two state solution, but that can't happen while Israel continues to deny the Palestinians an opportunity to form a functioning state as it is now indiscriminately killing innocent civilians and subjecting the people to a brutal blockade.

At least I don't spend my time defending a genocidal state.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭howiya

I've no idea why you are repeating yourself about Gaza. Did you read the post you quoted?

Would you not want to hold yourself to a higher moral standard than the Israeli government?

• Advertisement

An agency didn't. Employees of it are alleged to have. Should we not allow the investigation to occur first?

I did. It didn't apply to my point. As I explained.

If anyone wants to read where the phrase "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free" comes from, then this is an excellent article by Al Jazeera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

As already mentioned, it was staff acting independently from the UN agency.

Nearly as bad as an Israeli representative saying the Irish funded the Hamas tunnels. Although he did delete that tweet.

It's like saying Israeli's funded and assisted terrorist operations when it was just the Israeli government handing suitcases of cash over to Hamas in person.

• Advertisement

Oh I have a point alright. Just not the one you wanted me to have made. But that's your problem.

Israel and its western lapdogs continue to show how despicable they truly are. The information they are relying on about the supposed actions of a few employees was most likely obtained by torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

You asked where did you claim to be an expert on antisemitism? Here you are opining on the word.

So, what does your map image mean? I only see one flag overlaid over the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Interesting. I wasn't aware ICJ could find against a terrorist organisation.

I checked the ICJ judgement and I didn't see that in their judgement - do you have a paragraph reference? There are a lot of pages so I may have just missed it.

The ICJ has no enforcement powers so Israel can ignore it - just like Russia.

I don't see where the ICJ made any findings directed at Hamas.

Probably when they mentioned Hamas releasing the hostages. They would have acknowledged that by taking the hostages, Hamas committed a war crime.

Surprised Hamas hasn't been calling them prisoners of war. Not that they are, but you know how Hamas thinks.

There's a lot of incredible things that have happened.

IDF bulldozed cemeteries, sniped women in a church, killed a woman waving a white flag, even killed three of their own hostages.

incredible, absolutely.

Sorry - I'm not seeing where the ICJ acknowledged where anyone committed a war crime.

By the way, I'm not defending Hamas at all. Just pointing out that the ICJ judgement is very clear and very limited. For example, absolutely Israel has not been found to have perpetrated genocide. But some people are actively stating it.

"85. The Court deems it necessary to emphasize that all parties to the conflict in the Gaza Strip are bound by international humanitarian law. It is gravely concerned about the fate of the hostages abducted during the attack in Israel on 7 October 2023 and held since then by Hamas and other armed groups, and calls for their immediate and unconditional release."

It's not my problem that you have no defence for the targeting of journalists by the IDF. You've offered an opinion on why journalists have been killed in Gaza. What about all the other locations? The West Bank etc.

You complain when I repeat myself, but you keep repeating your misunderstanding of my point. I don't have to give a blanket defence for all such deaths because I wasn't claiming that there could never have been any problem with any of them. It's a war - there will be all sorts of incidents, some excusable, some not.

But the claim was that Israel was unique among democracies in actively targeting journalists - based on high numbers of deaths of supposed journalists. I explained why this was a misunderstanding of the situation in Gaza. I won't repeat it yet again. I don't know whether a similar situation applies in those parts of the West Bank that are controlled by Hamas, but it seems highly likely.

• Advertisement

If you believe that holding/taking hostages is a war crime and you acknowledge that Hamas are holding hostages then join the dots.

The fact the ICJ acknowledge there are hostages being held by Hamas. No allegedly or reported in front of it. But you're right the ICJ haven't specified that taking and holding hostages is a war crime, but they have specified that Hamas are holding hostages.

But that's just my take on why the poster stated the ICJ said Hamas committed war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭boetstark

Yep. Ireland an absolute disgrace. We are going to NY next week and I am sorry to say I will be ashamed to say I'm from Ireland.

Ever wonder why other countries aren't supporting this farce at the ICJ. Just look at who you would be aligning with , SA / ANC , Bolivia and Mexico. What a beautiful lot.

Like down with pigs and you will smell of s#it.

I can see this backfiring on Ireland yet. And they will deserve every bit of I'll will coming their way. This is after all the same country that opened a book of condolence on Hitlers death.

I'm not disputing Hamas committing war crimes - they have. I don't need to join any dots thanks.

I'm disputing that the ICJ made that finding.

I'll equally call out anyone saying "ICJ found Israel perpetrated genocide"

Facts matter.

It is remarkable that you find a picture on a signature is "clearly genocidal" yet you you seem unable to agree that 11,000 dead children is genocide.

Gaza is not currently threatening Israel. Gaza is a wasteland full of dead people.

Still, the ICJ have at least now told Israel they must stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭SeanW

I would accept it as war crimes if the children were being targeted, as opposed to incidental fatalities. But even then, genocide would be a stretch as Gaza has something like 2.4 million people.

As to Gaza not being a threat to Israel, Hamas are still in charge there, fighting is still going on, and rockets are still being fired into Israel every day. Oh and Hamas still has Israeli hostages in Gaza. Any claim that Israel does not still have casus belli there is insane - and the ICJ agrees seeing as they did not order a unilateral ceasefire.

Source: Haaretz (paywall)

Egypt considered recalling its envoy to Israel after allegations made by the Israeli defense team at the world court about Cairo's failure to bring humanitarian aid to Gaza, according to the Wall Street Journal.

"Whatever good or bad things we may say about the legal reasoning of the ICJ, it is the humanitarian catastrophe [in Gaza] and the need to end it – including the situation of the Israeli hostages – that resonates from" the Court's ruling - Aeyal Gross

The IDF said it has opened a humanitarian corridor for residents in Khan Yunis to move away from areas of fighting, and published a recording of evacuees from Khan Yunis chanting: "The people want to overthrow Hamas."

ISRAEL: Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar, addressing Israel's cabinet, demanded to establish an investigative committee to examine the failures that lead to Hamas' October 7 attack.

Demonstrations calling for the release of the hostages in Gaza and rallies against the Netanyahu government will be held this evening in several locations across Israel.

In Tel Aviv, thousands are expected at three separate rallies. The first calls for immediate elections; the second, under the banner of "Never again is now," after International Holocaust Memorial Day, calling to return the hostages; and a third anti-occupation bloc-led protest calling for a ceasefire, ending the Gaza siege and a hostage deal.

Family members of Israeli hostages held in Gaza protested today in front of PM Netanyahu's house in Caesarea for the third week running, demanding a hostage deal.

I asked your opinion before because you made a similar statement in the past. You may not have seen that post so I'll ask again.

Given you think genocide is based on some kind of number and since only a few civilians are dead out of a population 2.4 million, what's the number of dead civilians that constitutes genocide?

Seems you're at odds with the ICJ who believe the SA case was plausible.

I find this quite barbaric and disgusting (from the posted UN source).

How anyone can support this or think it's right is beyond words.

"The IOF recognized a draft law approved by the Israeli parliament (Knesset), allowing the courts to impose punishment of up to 20 years in prison on children charged with throwing stones at Israeli soldiers and settlers. The IOF use Hebrew as the language during interrogations with these children and force them to sign documents written in Hebrew which they do not understand."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭SeanW

Genocide requires intent, in the case of war, this can be gleaned in part by how the war started. For example there is plenty of evidence of Russian genocide in Ukraine, and intent is plausible given that Russia started a war of conquest in which Ukraine had not provoked them in any way. Same is true of the Nazis against Poland and other countries they invaded. Israel by contrast was provoked and has casus belli. IMHO that means the bar for such a ludicrous claim as "genocide" is much, much higher.

You need to prove that Israel is not targeting Hamas and that civilians killed were actually murdered and not collateral damage. Even then, you have to prove that such deaths go beyond war crimes (which happen in all wars) and are part of something much larger.

To be clear, cases of specifically targeting civilians, like what is alleged to have happened with snipers targeting nuns in a church, are clear war crimes, and should IMHO be prosecuted to the fullest extent of Israeli or International law.

Funny how you say "since 1967" as before 1967 the West Bank was territory of Jordan and the Gaza Strip was under the sovereignty of Egypt. It is thus quite convenient to only refer to Palestinians "since 1967."

Advertisement