Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I have to say I find it funny when a poster called Rebelside claims to be posting here as a neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Tbf a Cork man hardly loves tipp. It's not an outrageous position they are taking, many neutrals and all of tipp thought it was a red. Most kilkenny didn't. Agree to disagree. Its near 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Fair enough, presumed incorrect that you were saying a Cork man would be biased positively towards tipp. Now that's an outrageous position since I would consider him neutral on tipp kilkenny matters. Dislikes us both equally I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What’s peoples opinion on the dramatic big dive for the sending off on Sunday? Is that acceptable to hurling fans now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Marrooned

He’s been doing that a long time now, hasn’t the pace to get away so he feels he has no option but to play for a free anyway I heard there was a big who ha on twitter about Kilkenny divers. Are we all going to be tarred with the one brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

As a netural if there was no contact it's not great, just like Eanna Burke taking off his own helmet trying to get Mikey Butler sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

A lot of nonsense posted on here the last few days, from a certain knocker of Paddy Deegan over the year's on here calling him slow is just unbelievable, to people going back on Richie Hogan incident, please stop going on about it, we have better things to be discussed on here surely.

On the sending off the other day I thought it was red on 1st look but another didn't look like any contact, the ref clearly didn't spot some of the other incidents or chose to ignore giving out a few 2nd yellows, he lost control either way which was a fair assessment.

Hard luck to O'Loughlins anyhow, their over reliance on Half back line came back to haunt them unfortunately, Would love to see Conor Heary get a few runs in the league, but I doubt we'll see too many of the established club players who just finished up in the 1st rounds of the league, maybe Fogarty, Heary and some of the Ttown lads maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Hes a free taker of course his tally’s will be high

Certain panellist made the cut played in Leinster finals and all Irelands an made valuable contributions

J Walsh doesn’t have the physicality to make it at senior inter county level or the aggression imo

Thats why he has never made the cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Rebelside

Where did I claim that? I just said I was neither from Tipp or Kilkenny. What you find funny is up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

How many times did Deegan get turned over stupidly soloing up the field. OLG had the game in there hands if Deegan had to control things a bit better. IMO at the highest level Deegan is slow especially when turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

You were asked already to give it a break. Surely there's enough to occupy you in such a large GAA county like Cork. Fitzgibbon , Sigerson, Munster League, hurling and football. All full with Cork players. You should count yourself lucky and be content. Try concentrating on your own vast goings on.

His game management could be absolutely better no question, doesn't seem to have the patience to sit back on the D like a top class 6, I just disagree you with about his pace, he's very quick really.

He had a top class display in Leinster Final scoring 5 pts but it's hard going up and down the field no matter how fit any man is, gaps will appear, like they did with Goal Na Fianna scored.

I agree. It's up to Lyng now to deal with it having observed the form during the entire club campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I think I'm the leinster final it was clear that the olg forwards weren't getting the job done and he had to push up to show leadership, put points on the board. It was an amazing display and he was praised to the high heavens for it. But having your center back as your top scorer from play is not a sustainable strategy and good teams will find ways to exploit it. My point is whether he was right or wrong as the season went on, his forwards were not putting scores on the board and he felt it was up to him to cover that role. I don't think there's any question of playing him center back for kk anyway, but I think his approach for the club was a result of circumstances.

If the problem is that he pushes up too fast though, I'm not sure midfield works either unless you're definitely playing Mullen in the forwards, because you don't want two attacking midfielders against limerick, they'll destroy your half back line of one of them isn't defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

Correct. In my opinion, at least one of (if not both) Mikey Carey and David Blanchfield need to be midfield.

I should have added if the goal they scored actually stood the conversation here is possibly much different, such fine margins.

Absolutely…. Having two attacking midfielders killed us in the All-Ireland final, Conor Fogarty was sorely missed in the defensive midfield role and was like a fish out of water on the half back line.

I said it before but if Lyng wanted to start Walter on the day it should have been in the forwards with Corcoran coming in for Blanchfield at wing back. Playing him in midfield hurt us all over the pitch.

That's true but the conversation regarding Paddy D is going on for a while and would continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Watched Laochra Gael last night, Ritchie Power could make a ball talk.

He had every skill in the book, and typically all started at home against the Gable wall with his brothers and father.

Even with the problems he’s had in his life, he comes across as a nice chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dodgysub

Does anyone know when the draws for this years league/championship will be made?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

With the league starting next week it will be week after week untill the end of the championship. Although only the walsh cup last week lyng will be dissapointed how poor kk were after the decent performance the previous week.I know it was mostly fringe players on show but a few players might not wear the county jersey again this year.He will want to stop the rot against our neighbors next weekend.

Its the first time in years the shamrocks lads will be doing a pre season. Theres some players invoved with colleges so they will also have to be managed. The players involved with clubs recently should all be available over the next couple of weeks. With no alan murphy this year billy drennan is the only recognized free taker so hopefully he can rediscover the form he had for last years league.

Darragh Corcoran was very loose at center back last week but someone should be tried for this postion long term.The same for the full back position while huw is out. Id be dissapointed if lyng went for safety in these positions because he has to look into the future.Mikey carey will need all the hurling he can get. Although still early liam blanchfield has found the early going tough.

Rowe,Moylan,fogarty,molloy, heary, stephen donnelly all had good club campaigns and could do well with experienced players around and put pressure on lads that are already on the panel.Hopefully some of these can have a good league.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

I thought Blanchfield done well v Carlow but got cleaned out by the Wexford full back Foley. He is only back to that level of hurling so should take him a few games to get up to speed.

Id say Lyng will play the Ballyhale lads v Wexford next Sunday, he will definitely not want to lose twice to Wexford at home in the space of 3 weeks.

I thought Billy Drennan got injured playing for Maynooth last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

This will upset a few posters 👌

To be fair, I don't think any poster will have objection to it. He shows great leadership, therefore ought to make a good captain. Best of luck to Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Comerman

It was really said in jest I agree fully a think he deserves it but going on the last week I'd expect a few knockers

Post edited by Comerman on

Paddy v Huw for Kilkenny captaincy it could only be Paddy. Their fathers , Twinkle hurled for O’loughlins while Paddy Lawlor hurled for Muckalee.

• Advertisement

A subject came up today about the cost of running teams it looks like we will not be able to keep up with the big guns shortly due to lack of funding. It wasn’t long ago I was slated for wanting funding to be reduced or to have a balance between all teams on a subject like this it only has to be looked at who is making the money even at club level the backroom teams are creaming it . That is why teams are training so hard the coaches and trainers are on an hourly rate. Look at Kyle Hayes training 30 plus hours a week. How could anyone even hold down a job as well as train intercounty and most top clubs are doing the same. It has to be curtailed.

Advertisement