Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I note involvement of people from the Irish Center for High End Computing (ICHEC) in compiling that report. Output from the usual RCP/SSP model parameters are peppered thoughout. As I've said before, these "scenarios" are devoid of any predictive skill, they are the digital equivalent of Mystic Megs crystal ball.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i'm not saying they're not pro-green, i'm saying they are other things BEFORE being pro-green. It seems more like a numbers game than anything. i see it with alot of things in business, including using cheaper packaging or recycled materials or irish grown products or cruelty free ethical farming, vegan, buy local, irish produce and other gimmicks. Just feels dishonest and misleading. The conflict of interest is far too often covered up, i think its just fair to point out that they're not fully pro-green with the electric being wasted with computers left on example someone had previously given here, even though its minuscule in the grand scheme of things its the principle that counts and shows a contradiction in the companies telling others to be pro-green and not waste electric when they are doing it themselves.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

I saw that on my feed and reported it for "sensationalism and misinformation"

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

I work in the asset management industry where ESG has been the big thing for the last couple of years. However, everyone in the industry knows it's pure BS, it's just marketing really. The industry regulators have actually now copped on and voiced their concerns about ESG "labelling" being used primarily as a marketing tool and not as a move in investment strategy towards ESG.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It's official - we are living in the Twilight Zone. Honest to God, no dystopian 80s/90s prediction or conspiracy could have predicted the madness we are experiencing right now.

Almost a seasonal basis now we see floods in some part of the country and of course the usuals come and and point saying "here we are, more evidence of irreversable, human-induced climate change".

No. Here we are with more evidence that climate change policy and intimidation by green zealots is really what is destroying people's lives.

The dogs in the streets know that it is environmentalist nutters preventing the dredging of rivers that is causing the floods in areas upstream. Here is more evidence that the biggest threat to humanity is the "green movement":

In 2021, efforts to install an overflow pipe by Roscommon County Council using emergency powers were halted following a successful legal action by the Friends of the Irish Environment who warned it could cause "unintended and catastrophic" ecological impacts.

Earlier this month the council said that due to the High Court challenge taken by Friends of the Irish Environment against Roscommon County Council, flood relief works that would have protected homes, property and public infrastructure in the general vicinity of the lake cannot be completed and no new works can be undertaken.

"Friends of the Irish Environment"

People complain about the stranglehold the catholic church had on us for decades. At least the catholic church built schools and hospitals and campaigned for other insfrastructure to people's benefit. The new overlords, the environmentalists, clearly want to fill this void. They have a lust for power and control over people. And we are just serving it up to them! Time to put the foot down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

What really gets to me are the claims they make that ESG investing actually gives you higher returns. That is based on completely bogus studies over a period where oil companies happened to have poor stock returns. The real evidence is actually the opposite, that it results in sub-optimal portfolio.

They should at least be honest and say ESG will give you lower returns but greater social impact or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What would happen if someone took a case against FoIE for preventing these works and maybe subjecting the to costs and mental anguish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And I would bet that very few of them if any actually live in affected area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

As a limited company with an address in Co. Cork, they can just fold and pop-up somewhere else. FoIE are a stalking horse for An Taisce.

Ian Lumley is An Taisce’s Heritage Officer and a conservationist of long standing with an encyclopaedic knowledge of Ireland’s built heritage. His experience particularly on legal challenges greatly enhances FIE’s work and avoids NGO duplication of efforts. source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,109 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

They operate on the principle that they have deeper pockets than a collection of locals in an area so will not be challenged legally. Pockets that the taxpayer is keeping topped up.

Afaik even if they lost, and like Father Ted and ecumenical matters, and can get their stance reconised by the courts as an enviromental matter, even losing the taxpayer would be on the hook for the tab.

• Advertisement

They have learned well from the mother ship. An Taisce were masters of that tactic over the years when objecting to planning.

Someone often long distances from the area who would not have as much as a pot to piss in, so no financial cost to them if they lost.

Hertz cutting 20,000 EV`s would not have helped nor would the slowdown in sales, but the real kicker and one I find amusing, is the cheaper EV`s from China where China has increased their use of coal for generation and smelting to produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Tesla share price is like a yo yo. Like it went up along with Bitcoin when Musk said you could buy a Tesla with Bitcoin, then he killed Bitcoin a few months later by saying you can't. Musk himself making millions out of that and I think, could be wrong, still under investigation for that.

The price of electric cars was extraordinary for years around covid, a 40+k Renault FFS. The reason prices are dropping is everyone thinks China will storm the market with BYD etc, but the BYD came in as the "cheap" electric car and its a pure rip off at 40k etc.

Im not sure why you think the share price of Tesla has anything to do with what people are going to buy as a new car?

By the way before you go off on a tangent I just bought myself a nice big 3.0ltr diesel car.

Tesla parts are expensive and repairs are expensive. Hertz was buying Tesla's and Polestars which are the premium brands in electric cars, yet if you go for a combustion engine car you get a Kia/Hyundai.

Just look at what they are selling off on second hard cars: https://www.hertzcarsales.ie/used-cars/

Hardly the premium brands of combustion cars.

Also not sure who advised a rental car company to use electric cars, probably part of the more silly brigade that have come out recently and killing companies like Disney etc. If you go to a foreign country and rent a car, last thing you want to do is try find a charger and then charge up a car. Wasting valuable time at a charge point, the role out of chargers in most countries is years away and a lot of hotels etc still don't have points.

Not sure what relevance China has to this but you do manage to link in China in most posts so not a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

With the Shanghai giga-factory I do wonder how many Teslas over here have been partly or wholly Chinese made.

Congrats on the new car, but there is no need to go looking for a mysteries where there are none.

EV demand has gone soft amd Tesla have tried burning off competition from China by cutting prices. It has not worked and now Tesla are focusing on a lower priced car that will not be produced until at least the 2nd. half of 2025 that Musk says will be challenging involving new technokogy.

Tesla`s own shareholders do not appear to have a lot of confidence in this new tech being able to counter China`s use of cheap energy from coal and have slashed $210 Bn off Tesla`s market value. $80 Bn. of that being a one day record.

Something weird happened today when the Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, Extinction Rebellion and some other environmental groups put out calls for their followers to join the farmer protests in France. I don't know what their game is.

No idea either but my guess would be that it is in relation to new proposed E.U. legislation on genetically modified crops. I can see any of them turning up for a farmers protest, especially in France, being extremely lucky if it`s only the hairy eyeball they get from farmers.

If it is to do with GM crops I would look more on it as them looking for another angle to attack herbicide use rather than their great love for farming.

Post edited by charlie14 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You can blame that on muskey dropping the price of the entry level cars and building the worst looking truck the planet has ever seen...

Interesting as well that they sold 38% more in 2023 than they did in 2022 yet the share price still dropped, time to buy shares I'd wager

If they had two brain cells their heads would explode.

Like the little boy crying wolf, all childish self serving attention seeking gets you is ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

And this is how utterly ridiculous and retarded it all become. On one hand they are actively trying to shut down agriculture yet as it seems they are going after every food producing practice like this attempted attack at back gardens. Not to mention that that study is idiotic as it does not account for transportation cost when food has to be shipped halfway across the world.

We sure live in interesting times when lunatics are trying to take over asylum.

There are ways to read articles behind paywall like this:

It seems our 37GW of offshore wind will pay a hefty chink of the yet unknown cost by giving a €38bn boost to the Irish economy.

Ireland’s much-hyped offshore wind industry could be worth at least €38bn to the Irish economy, according to a new report launched on Tuesday at Wind Energy Ireland’s annual conference in Dublin.

Now I don't understand the gymnastics here to come to this number, but how spending billions, most likely to foreign companies, to then generate power which we already generate from cheaper sources (for now) will boost the economy to the tune of ~€1bn/GW is beyond me. We're not generatig "new" power. We already have it from other sources. Then how come we can't benefit already?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The annual exodus of ministers to far flung areas of the world generating huge amounts of the evil CO2 is to take place soon with a certain environment minister heading as far away as Brazil.

I wonder how much CO2 that particular trip will generate 🧐

But just in case you think it’s acceptable to be flying around yourself- Eamon’s colleague- Ciaran Cuffe says no:

I think a certain party is speaking outta both sides of their mouths!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

greens certainly dont be doing themselves any favors, wouldnt be worrying too much about them, theyre screwed in the next ge

It`s Comical Ali time. 🤣

They can somehow work out a value for fresh air but they cannot give the cost to harness it. It just sounds as if these wind companies are now looking for the taxpayer to fund their staff training on top of everything else.

I have no idea where they think they are going with this 37 GW offshore wind by 2050. Is it the old ESB plan for 50% for consumtion and 50% for hydrogen generation, or just 37 GW for consumption ?

Either way from Eirgrid`s predictions of what our needs will be by 2050 they would need to take another look at their sums as either way I cannot see how it will work.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in Brazil when Eamon tells them they need to cull millions of cattle rather than increase their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭PommieBast

For €1bn/GW it would have to be mostly if not entirely built/installed by Irish companies/labour.

Advertisement