Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repotting Monstera

Options
  • 26-01-2024 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

My monstera needs to be repotted. Is there a good potting mix available, and where would I be able to get it? I'm in Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Any of the hardware/garden centres will have compost with john innes which would do the job. The one at Orchardstown cross, or Woodies are the first that come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

Be careful with repotting this time of year, plants are dormant so make sure the compost is dry or the roots will struggle with excess moisture around them.

Far better to do it in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She's currently putting out new leaves, if that means anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I repot house plants whenever the notion takes me and haven't lost one yet 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just to add, I find the chunkier/airier the mix is, the better mine get on

Mixing in Orchid Compost or Pine Bark with Perlite and compost of whatever type is usually what I do, definitely helps avoid waterlogging.

This kind of thing:

There are mixes like this specifically for monstera/philodendrons also, the ingredients are Coco Coir, Perlite, Bark, Coarse Pumice, Worm Castings, Zeolite, Activated Charcoal.

https://www.hanleysofcork.com/product/soil-ninja-monstera-philodendron-5l

Worth checking out your local garden centre they'll probably have what you need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I picked up some John Innes today and mixed the old soil, which contained leca, in with in. Fingers crossed that'll do the trick: she'll definitely be glad of more root space anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

They're fairly forgiving in a lot of ways ,in my experience, so hopefully it'll be happy out!

I've been trying to propagate a few in water and they're doing grand but hopefully with the spring and summer they'll come on a lot more. I don't have great light here.

Need to get a few grow lights/bulbs really

Advertisement