Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A suffocating friendship, what to do?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You've been very giving OP, but this isn't really a friendship, its a toxic dependency. She is doing both herself and you quite a big favour by keeping away this long.

Definitely change the locks on your home right away, and then if contact does resume in some form down the line, keep it very much at arms length and limit it far more than it ever was before.

This is not your issue to suffer through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭airnwater

OP, I think you've been given good advice by several other posters. Tbh all replies appear well intentioned. Often , people outside a situation can see a clearer path to what needs to be done.

You seem an articulate & intelligent person. 

Tbh I'm really not seeing the problem in sorting the wills & locks asap. I'd predict a sense of relief sorting these things soon, whereas stress levels will for sure rise if your mother's health fails & you both are still entangled with this woman. 

Additionally, your mind will have more time to focus on yourself rather than the current toxic situation. Just an opinion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

"The middle of winter"??? Ah come on, OP, we're in Ireland, not the far reaches of Siberia.

I get that you're feeling a bit under attack here but as I said to another poster recently, you seem to have a problem for every solution. People have laid out very clearly what the logical, practical steps are for you to rectify this situation but you keep batting them away, often for very (imo) spurious reasons.

You don't quite seem to have your own feelings towards this woman and situation clarified in your own head. I don't think it would be any harm to speak to someone about all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Lot of 'nuclear' advice to you and I sympathise - it's all very well for complete strangers on a chat forum to advise you to cut all ties etc. But clearly you do care for this friend's welfare and appreciate the good points in them. My 2 cents would be to try and repair but on your terms insofar as possible e.g. her visiting but not staying over and so on. It's a pity there isn't someone else who can advise you both in person, that'd be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Oblivion1970

1. It's the middle of winter for a 92 year old woman with mobility issues!
    2. Yes I do feel under attack which is hardly the goal of having posted here. I read where you said to another poster, in more difficulty than I am, that they have a problem for every solution. With respect, not a helpful thing to say to somebody who at the moment can't see the wood for the trees. I'm sure you mean well but!

@HazeDoll, could I ask you to please not reply anymore? I feel badgered by you which I certainly don't need right now and TBH I'm not sure you are even reading my posts correctly. Where did I say I would leave a key out for this girl? I couldn't possibly have said that as nothing cold be further from the truth. She already has a key which she kept without my consent and I will decide in due course what to do about that. Thanks for your input but enough now, please. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Right. Nobody can force you to take a different perspective on board.

I don't know what outcome will make you happy but good luck with it all, Oblivion.

Furz99, thank you so very much for your understanding. I do indeed care for her welfare, I've known her since she was a teenager and I've always been in a kind of mentor role trying to help and guide her as she has always been very troubled. It's only recently that she has turned so toxic towards me but I shouldn't be surprised as she is venomous towards her own mother. Her mother is not the nicest person but there are two sides to every story.

I so very much wanted to repair this relationship, I mentioned earlier that I was willing to go to counselling with her. But all fell on deaf ears so between a combination of recent factors and a complete refusal on her part to see my point or meet me half way, I've come to the very painful conclusion that I have to cut ties in the sense of cutting her out of my day to day life. It just isn't working and is causing huge stress not just to me but to my poor mother at the end of her life. But I am grieving the loss and last night's episode was very traumatic and a set back.

Thanks again for your kindness.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

@Oblivion1970 please do not back seat moderate by threadbanning posters. Especially when posters have taken time out of their day to try and help you.

HS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't see what the issue is with changing the locks. You've had some heated exchanges with her and you say she was knocking on your door after the latest encounter. Who's to say this is the end of it? As they say, there's a thin line between love and hate. She could turn against you in the way she has against her own mother.

The reason why I asked if she could be trusted with your pets wasn't because I thought she might harm them. But if you were to leave her a life-changing sum of money, who knows what she might do with it? Your pets could suddenly become unimportant to her and end up in an animal shelter.

I agree with the advice about you talking to somebody. There's something odd and unhealthy about your relationship with this woman. Maybe it's not romantic but there's something off about what's going on. We can only advise on what you're telling us and you're under no obligation to tell us any more. I think you should chat to somebody yourself and try to gain some perspective.

• Advertisement

Fair enough Tork. She would only get this life changing sum of money in the event something were to happen to both Mum and I together, like an accident or something, which let's hope is unlikely. Otherwise it's just a bequest. The bequests can be changed fairly simply, though still necessitating GP clearance for my mother, but we will get on to that fairly soon. The rest would involve redrafting the entire contents of both wills and figuring out who benefits if we were both to die, a bigger undertaking, one which my mother finds enormously stressful so we are passing on that for the moment. I would ask people to please respect that and not let it be a topic of discussion. But I completely get you. Given how this girl sems to be deteriorating and is refusing to get help, who knows indeed how bad she might get.

Agree too about it being odd and unhealthy. I'm decades older so I don't think she's a closet lesbian, though that has crossed my mind. I think the evidence points to Borderline Personality Disorder. A big feature of this condition is favourite person syndrome, where the sufferer subsumes himself/ herself into this person they latch onto as their absolute messiah. Often it's a romantic partner, but seems just as often it's a much older person who they perceive in a parental role. This girl is extremely immature and around me she tends to morph into a kid. Then they "split" and the favorite person can quickly become enemy number 1 if they feel rejected. I'd bet every cent in those wills that she suffers from this condition which is why I urged her to get help. At least with a diagnosis she can access appropriate treatment.

And yes, I would like to get some counselling for myself too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭cobham

A doctor should be able to do a home visit for a mental competency test. But I believe you said your wills were made as recently as last June? Surely that assessment should stand as valid for now? You could also do a codicil to the original will and not involve a solicitor just have signature witnessed by two people. Or you could just tear up the wills and then the estates would be deemed intestate and go to next of kin even if distant cousins. I knew of a lady who fell out with a niece and crossed out reference to her bequest in her will. I never found out what happened in the end!

Thanks cobham. Our solicitor is a stickler for rules and insists in up to the minute assessment proof, as in the very day of signing the will. She's a pain in the as about it but is otherwise a lovely person who we have a good rapport with. She's not working in her own practice so it might be the rules of that practice that she has to impose.

Thanks for that about the signatures to the codicils just needing to be witnessed, I think the bequests are just codicils. We don't want the estate to go to distant cousins and don't want to die intestate, but thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Why don’t you leave to a charity that is close to your heart? When you leave a significant bequest you can go in and meet them and discuss what would happen with the money. A nice lasting legacy. Do some real good for the world.

Why are ye all so concerned with my will??

Note the meaning of the word, "will." Will as in what a person wills or wishes for his/her worldly goods after death. My mother and I will decide in due course what we "will" for our estate, thank you very much. I did ask that people please refrain from discussing the will, especially giving unsolicited advice on who and who not to leave our estate to. The issue I asked for advice about was the toxic relationship and how to handle it and most of the replies about that have been very helpful, which I appreciate.

Post edited by Oblivion1970 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

But you have to realise it seems rather odd to most of us that you call this woman toxic and want her out of your lives but then are happy to hand everything over? What kind of decision making is that?

Most advise would entail telling this woman you want her out of your life but that doesn’t really make sense because of the whole will and emergency key thing.

Also, you mentioned that you didn’t want to die intestate which is what I was responding to.

• Advertisement

I would ask the mods to please close this thread now. I'm feeling badgered by certain posters who refuse to respect my wishes in not wanting to discuss who I will my estate to and who I feel are being rather insensitive to the fact that, regardless of how this person has behaved, I'm grieving the loss of what once was a friendship and therefore feeling rather vulnerable at the moment. Of course my feelings read as contradictory. Like all bad endings, it's messy and full of loose ends and of course there is wrong on my side too. But it must end, as it's serving neither of us as it is, and I must grieve it and figure out for myself now where to go from here.

The vast majority of replies have been very helpful, some have made me uncomfortable and made me stop to think, but I'm very grateful for that too. Some replies have been full of kindness and compassion, which I've also needed and which I very much appreciate.

So a heartfelt thanks to those posters and to the Mods.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Thread closed at OP's request.

As a general reminder, please note that if you have concerns about a post, the correct route to take is to report it and the mods will take a look at it.

As always, sincere thanks to everyone who took time out of their day, to offer advice.

All the best, OP. I hope that everything works out.

Hilda

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement