Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yep. And Doak looked like a world beater when he broke through - under an attack coach at the height of his powers, who had been a scrum half. I don't think that's coincidence either.

We need new coaches. I've been a fan and defender of McFarland, but he's run out of road, as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I was about to post the same podcast. The Molecast lads make a good point about the quality of players at Ulster being as good as any in the other provinces.

Cormac Izuchukwu was rated similarly to Joe McCarthy and Thomas Aherne by the Irish coaching team and brought on the Emerging Ireland tour to South Africa.

Since then the latter have kicked on while the formers Ulster career has stalled. It's a similar story with all the other young talents at the province. Izuchukwu and Postlethwaite being the biggest concerns. They should be getting starts at Ulster, but they're nowhere near that.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Izuchukwu playing for Ballynahinch today (3 year Ulster contract). Joe M’Carthy being compared to Etzebeth and in line for Ireland team against France.

I don’t hear too much about Postlethwaite I am sure he would like to be starting or benching consistently at his age. I don’t know if he is playing atm.

To think that Doak, Hume, Baloucoune, Lowry were some of the hottest backs in Europe 2 years ago.

These players are very, very good and I want them to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Totally agree. He definitely moved Ulster forward from "basket case" to contenders, even if we just a bit off winning trophies were at least reaching finals, semi finals and quarter finals. I don't think we're back at "basket case", but the trajectory is in that direction. If ever a coaches shelf life has run out this is it I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

I'll listen to this later, but from what you're saying there is a lot of merit to it. There have been loads of Ulster players in the dominant Irish U20 set ups over the last 5 years, yet they just aren't kicking on like their Leinster and Munster compatriots.

Although the two players named have had their injury woes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

While Postlethwaite has had his injury problems and I would like to see more of him, I don't think anybody from that Ireland u20 team is starting or benching regularly, so it seems a little unfair to single him out.

I disagree about Doak ever being one of the hottest backs in Ireland never mind Europe. Hume certsinly regressed but he had injury problems as well and seems to be on a bit of a rise at the moment. Baloucoune and Lowry have major flaws in their game but I would also agree that they have gone backwards.

I definitely would've liked to see more of Izuchukwu, but I'm not sure why he's being compared to McCarthy or Ahern in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Just listened to the Demented Mole podcast. Lots of good points made. I think Ulster need be looking beyond McFarland at this stage. I hadn’t realised he’s been there for the guts of 6 years. And unfortunately Ulster seem to be getting further away from where they should be.

Have the players downed tools to a degree or just attitudes become a bit lax under McFarland? Either way, a few fresh voices would probably do them a world of good as there’s plenty of potential and established talent there.

Izuchukwu is compared to the other two in terms of his athletic ability. Doesn’t always translate to making it at the top level but all 3 were earmarked as potential at a young age. Ahern and McCarthy have started delivering on it. Not sure Izuchukwu played Ireland U20 but he may have been involved with the 7s at that stage?

I don't think he was earmakred at all tbh, he was a project player we took on because we were crying out for a second row. He was never particularly close to a Leinster academy place and he was playing amateur rugby in scotland because he had never played second row before leaving school. Players grow a different rates so none of this particularly matters, but I take issue with mentioning him in the same vein as Ahern or McCarthy because it implies we have somehow ruined a comparable promising talent when, if anything, he exceeded expectations here.

However, I am disappointed with his lack of game time after his initial breakthrough. He is not a better player than Treadwell, AOC or Sheridan but you would've thought there would be space to squeeze more minutes in given Henderson's injuries and Sheridan seems to be more of a 6. There was a rumour on uafc about a falling out with Dan and while it's easy to just blame the coach, I can't just lay it all at his feet without knowing details. Sometimes a foot needs putting down.

Sheridan is the one I'm most disappointed by. Looked very abrasive and strong which is just what we need more of. Didn't seem to be in injury reports but couldn't get a look in after playing in the champions cup last season. We signed Ewers and McCann has finally broken through which might've affected his minutes but one has been injured and the other keeps sitting on the bench for Matty Rea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I really want to see Sheridan become a first team player - he's small for a second row, but he's abrasive and relishes getting stuck in. He may well get more game time now, as it looked like Treadwell sustained a pretty nasty injury. He's certainly passed Izzy, anyway.

McCann has been a revelation this season, and I think you have to say that his integration into the first team has been a success.

McCann was superb in the early part of the season before he got injured. Sheridan looked good last year, had completely forgotten about him.

How’s Aaron Sexton getting on? Haven’t seen too much of him since he lost the ball over the line against Leinster last year. Did that set him back or has he had a few injuries?

We haven't been overly kind to Sexton on this thread I think. He looks nervous and jittery with the ball whenever I've seen him for us. I've caught a couple Ballynahinch games recently and to be fair to him, he has looked much better there, but it's a big step up to the urc though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I suppose bringing in a beast like Ewers was going to hamper somebody's development. It's understandable, imo. Sheridan will get his time. He's going to be a really important player too.

Ewers isn't starting that much though. It's Matty Rea holding Sheridan back I think.

Ulster's conversion rate from u20 to senior really needs examined. How many times have we seen a forward excel at u20 never to materialise. We're now seeing Crothers, McNabey, McGloughlin, Wilson thought that's more to our hand being forced.

Demented Mole made a very valid point about Sexton, albeit he's had fair criticism here. If he was at Leinster they would have a plan for him.

We take our resources for granted and to many junior players have been squandered! Players who had been playing elsewhere could of made a go of it.

While our academy is notoriously poor, I'm of the opinion that many of our underage players just aren't good enough to start with. I would say the the problem with our system goes further back than developing u20 players.

Don't agree regarding Sexton. Leinster are not omnipotent, they have shipped out a fair few back three players from their academy and I'm not sure they are particularly known for developing diamonds in the rough in the back three. Andrew Smith is in Connacht and likes of Jack Kelly and Aaron O'Sullivan are playing 7's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

This is my view as well. I’d change our coaching staff but honestly our talent or talent ID is the problem. Or was the problem. The last couple of years it has improved imo.

The Izuchukwu stuff seems like revisionist history to me. Ahern alone was a way more hyped prospect. I really like Izuchukwu and i think its super weird that he is on a three year deal and playing so much AIL, but he was never considered that level of prospect imo.

Sexton is a tricky one. I almost feel like he should go to Pro D2 and play ALOT and then check back in on him. The irish academy system kind of requires you to be ready to be URC level almost by year three. Some guys just take a lot longer and need game time to get there. Leinster get a ton of guys at 19/20 who are already pretty highly developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Leinster's back three is made up of two players who essentially developed themselves by focusing on 7s and a Kiwi they bought in 6 or 7 years ago. Larmour's there too, obviously, but he's hardly an advertisement for how Leinster develop players. He's probably less potent as a runner compared to 2019, with the same flaws still evident in his game. At 12 it's Henshaw who was poached from Connacht, with, more often than not during the Cullen era, an NIQ signing as second choice for when Henshaw's unavailable. Where's the evidence Leinster would develop Aaron Sexton better? He'd probably head to Connacht after getting minimal gametime if he was a Leinster player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Not sure what is to be achieved by bringing Leinster into this, apart from maybe trying to drag down Leinster in order to make things seem a bit better at Ulster.

Leinster can take a "let the cream rise to the top" approach due to the sheer numbers in the system, the guys coming out of school are already well developed for that age and they have plenty of top players anyway so can wait an extra year or two for a guy worth investing serious game time in. "Sink or swim" can work under those conditions.

Ulster have to churn a lot harder to produce the cream. They need to be turning a higher percentage of high potential lads into pro-level players. They need to be better at identifying the flaws in individual player's games and actively trying to rectify them. No doubt they are already doing that but they need to be better at it. It may mean taking less players into the academy but focusing more resources on each player.

Not going to name any names because I don't think that's fair but some guys seem to have been brought in despite being unlikely to be able to compete at pro level, seemingly in hope and/or to make up numbers (similar seems to happen with mid-20s front rowers). After academy, very questionable to be paying lads but leaving them play amateur level, why give a contract if you don't think they warrant meaningful URC gametime? Why not let them play amateur and if standing out there, then bring them into the pro set up? Seem to be relying on numbers and competition to improve lads which isn't enough when you have a good few average players in the squad.

• Advertisement

First paragraph describes something that has in no way shape or form happened on this thread. If anything we were compared to Leinster in an effort to make us look worse. Izzy was being compared to Ahern and McCarthy (two of the best talents in the country), which was disingenuous, and a podcast claimed Leinster would have a plan for developing Sexton, which was fanciful as best.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McFarland peaked in his very first season.

We have never come close to putting in a performance like that euro game against Leinster.

His selection policy is absolutely whacky and is probably contributing to the comparatively slow development of young Ulster players.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I dunno if it's unkind.

Sexton has pace but he looks every bit a player who was late to playing rugby, his basics are quite poor. Simple things like passing and catching the struggles with.

I feel if he was the third or fourth fastest schoolboy he wouldn't be talked about nearly as much.

Jackman hinting/saying burns to munster?

Maybe we are getting frawley? The Frawley part is just my speculation.

Be some craic if burns jumped ship!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,209 ✭✭✭✭phog

Billy. Unless i misunderstood. I was half listening lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Anyone believe Jackman?

Advertisement