Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yea its all matching too. If he’d got that shot with Wilder then who knows. He’d have been a live opponent for him. I dont think Whyte is as bad as is sometimes is made out. 2 wins against Del Boy are notable also. I think he was a justified top 10er or even top 5er.

Aw no I was just saying that Fury took the right build up approach with him in contrast to Wilder. Same with Wlad. He didn’t perform well with Ngannou but he didn’t try to rile him either, wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,379 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Fury would have destroyed the best, doped up Whyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So who's calling who lads.

Fury for me purely because of the difference in size.

If they were both the same size I'd be going with Usyk.

Both intelligent and plenty of tricks up their sleeves.

The one thing Usyk won't be able to do is bully Fury and lean on him.

Fury on the other hand can if he needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

I’d agree with this. Fury has two ways to win boxing at distance or rough housing.

I can see it being a very ugly fight. I hope Usyk finds a way to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭reclose

i never bought into the Whyte hype. He was well promoted by Matchroom.

he was top 10 at best but was never gonna beat the top guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Think I'm slightly edging Usyk purely because I have doubts about where Fury's mind is at. And you would have to wonder has the best Tyson Fury come and gone.

Well lets put the Whyte debate to bed lads the point was about Fury anyway.

For the big one I have Fury but I’m really rootin for Usyk. I think the biggest factor could well be the referee as was the case with Wilder. If the ref allows long clinches and leaning, spoiling, draining then that’s a big advantage for Fury

• Registered Users Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

18/1 the draw

4/5 fury

6/5 Usyk

im going with fury for this, a good biggun beat a good littleun

i think fury has enough in his arsenal to change and adapt to the obstacle that’s Usyk, we know he can fight at range and he can come forward applying pressure with heavy shots and he can also rag doll Usyk and fight dirty if he’s allowed by the referee

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Edit: Wrong thread. Ignore.

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Registered Users Posts: 55,633 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Intriguing clash of styles. Both men capable of victory. Will be very close I feel. I’m leaning with Usyk for few reasons.

both have keys to victory: Fury, being able to find, trap and impose physicality/punching on smaller Usyk is key. To do this, his feet need to be quick and clever to trap Usyk for long enough periods to allow him go to work

Usyk: needs to be very mobile, fit and fleet-footed. But also, in and out punching and scoring, never allowing Fury a rhythm.

Usyk wins because I think Fury’s feet and footwork will be laboured and ponderous, allowing Usyk time, space and scoring chances.

I don’t think Fury will look great in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Yano, I’d almost settle for that right now. Fury needs this win or all of a sudden his record doesn’t at all stand up to proper scrutiny. Win it and hes undisputed and we can really talk about ATG status. Now Usyk in my opinion already has that so the pressure for this fight isn’t quite the same. He has it certainly at CW and if he wins this then also at HW. We can argue away about the standard of the division but I dont honestly think there’s a whole pile in it and the helpers appear to be a little bit more in check these days.

For me I can see a couple of paths to victory for Fury. He can slow the pace and go with power or he can bully Usyk around and get off quick fire combos. Usyk has to be incredible to win this. I’d love to see it but I don’t expect it.

parker said he was offered a few opponents at the same time, Kabayel and Hrgovic were the other two before the name Zhang was mentioned

I wonder why he went for Zhang. Kabyel was gonna be a step backwards that he doesn’t really need. Id be interested to see him again though. That win against a big ironing board isn’t all that much to go by

He’s always a fighter to keep an eye on apart from when he fought fa that was garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I just watched the Lewis vs Holyfield 1 fight again and it honestly has to be the biggest robbery I have ever seen. I tried to give as many rounds as possible to Holyfield but the best I could come up with is 3. I wouldn’t argue with 12-0 Lewis.

Yea it was a dreadful decision. Second fight was very close and much better. I had it Lewis by a whisker

I had Lewis a clear winner as well. If I recall from the time, the issue/criticism was the big Lewis kind of playing it safety first against the clearly smaller and past his best Holyfield. Folks wanted to see the bigger man really stamp his authority in terms of power and destruction. That did not happen, and Holyfield competed, albeit being well beaten on points.

Aye there was an argument for Lewis winning quite clearly, it being tight but def not Holyfield winning it. Lewis built up a bit of a lead, Holyfield bossed some middle rounds and Lewis coasted home.

George Groves confident Usyk win. I think the reference to “form” is telling. Something I am thinking as well

“I think Usyk wins, I think he’s in better form,” Groves said. “I know people are attacking him a bit for the [Daniel] Dubois performance but I thought he was very, very good. Usyk was in full control and stopped him. Usyk will take Fury out of his comfort zone, Fury’s a big unit and he carries a lot of weight and if Usyk makes him work harder that he used to then it’s going to be a tough night for him. Usyk builds into a fight and each round he cranks it up. I think he’s in better form, I’m going against the natural size of Fury, and I’m picking Usyk. I think he wins quite comfortably.”

Source: George Groves' Expert Prediction: Usyk To Beat Fury “Quite Comfortably” - Boxing News (https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-news/george-groves-picking-usyk-to-beat-fury-quite-comfortably/273629)

• Advertisement

I just dont see it and I wouldn’t be especially impressed with Groves’ as a pundit.

I watched some of the second Joshua fight and there were a few times Usyk looked in trouble. Not quite crisis but big enough problems. Joshua didn’t quite press the advantage home and Usyk remained that bit elusive. Fury is better than Joshua at what Joshua was trying to do and it nearly worked. Fury has better hand speed and footwork and he doesn’t have the mental baggage of any losses. Joshua was at all sorts of silliness in the lead up to that fight. Playing chess (my guess is that he just about learned what each piece can do) and nonsense like that. Fury will be himself and comfortable at that. Usyk was less than impressive against Dubois. Dubois even for himself was awful

Groves and froch will say anything to grab a headline these days

they both said Aj was finished and now they are hanging off his pecker again

Froch…

“How good is Tyson Fury? What’s he ever done? Who’s he actually beaten? He obviously beat Klitschko in a bit of a stinker. That was just an awkward, horrible performance where he just got inside Klitschko’s head and messed him up with that jab.

“After the Klitschko fight, Fury had those three big standout fights with Deontay Wilder. But how good is Deontay Wilder now? He looked awful against Joseph Parker. So now you start questioning him. Is Tyson Fury actually what we thought he was or has he been flattered by the lack of opposition. We don’t know but we’ll find out when he fights Usyk.”

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Andy Lee reckons Fury will win

am i doing it right?

Froch was outclassed by the one world class fighter he fought in ward, he is famous for beating groves twice ffs, he nearly lost the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Jonny Nelson saying yesterday he's heard Fury's getting turned over in sparring,

Could be nonsense but Jai Opetaia only sparred him for 5 rounds & then headed back out to OZ to finish his camp for a fight on the same card , That sounds kind of odd but Jai's camp have send it was because all Fury sparring partners are south paw & they needed orthodox work ,

Jonny did also say later in the same interview word on the street is Francis will knock Aj out so maybe he was playing up just to hype the fights,

Whole fights rests on Fury's legs are they gone or not , We'll know inside 2 rounds ,

Usyk was hurt badly against DDD & AJ so he can be got , He's no Floyd he gets hit with big shots ,

Lets be fair Froch was a fantastic fighter & Ward is a proper great ,

The Groves fights are miles away form the ones that made him famous ,The Jermain Taylor fight 5 year prior to Groves is what made Karl famous , then Kessler cemented him ,

Froch was a great fighter. Fought everyone, and had some very solid wins against class opposition.

Other than the low blow, I don’t think Usyk was badly hurt by Dubois.

Fury’s legs are key, as you say. Something I think could be a deciding factor

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

they arent though you ask joe soap who carl froch beat and 99 out of 100 will say George Groves (in front of 80,000 at wemblah) he also lost to kessler as well, Froch was good but i dont think he is in a position to question Fury. The reality is when Fury faced an all time great he beat him, when Froch did, he came up short.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a low blow in my opinion , he tried the same trick v AJ when he was struggling & Gassiev ( although that could be the wrong fight )

Basically multiple times in his career, he has tried to call low blow whens hes struggling ,

Yep Fury's legs are the decider & we will know within two rounds maybe even one if they are gone or not ,

Advertisement