Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

restricted to the same store sadly, for cash and for voucher

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭con747

Now that is ridiculous if it's the same chain of shops but what's new. Similar to the machines being inside the shop so you can't return stuff if they are closed.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭geographica

Where has this plastic bag tax actually gone? Where is that money?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Why would they intentionally make it difficult? It makes no sense. They want 90%+ returns, it's a stupid position to take.

If they mandated smaller shops have an RVM, people would be up in arms about the costs for smaller shops. This is a downside of having the exemption for size.

No matter what you do, people will complain.

Where does it say it's restricted like that? A tesco voucher from one store should work in any.

Shops like SuperValu are different being owner by different people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

Maybe it's been answered already, but if I buy a meal from the local chipper, get a can, will they need to take back the can? Surely there's health reasons why they wouldn't want used cans hanging around?

From what I read here it looks like the chipper will be exempt from taking back returns unless over a certain sized squared footage but I think you need to return them elsewhere if you want your refund. So basically bring the empty can home I think and bring it back out when a return machine is open somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

I don't know why they would make it intentionally difficult but per the example from tonight there is no easy way to reclaim the deposit. Do you think it was designed that way by accident? If not it has to be intentional.

The Re-turn FAQ says "*It is important to note that vouchers issued from an RVM must be redeemed at the same retail outlet."

Maybe Tesco Clarehall will honour vouchers from Tesco Artaine Castle. I'd guess that is a matter for Tesco and perhaps the FAQ cannot be that granular.

• Advertisement

That's grand if they do like similar chains but what about all the others like Supervalu, Centra, Spar, Eurospar, Londis, Mace, Daybreak, and god knows how many more that are not like Tesco, Aldi, Dunnes, Lidl.

An "outlet" is a store. Tesco has multiple outlets. The FAQ says that the voucher issued from an RVM must be redeemed at the same retail outlet.

They're all seperately owned. So a voucher from one SuperValu won't be accepted at another. Tesco and Dunnes is a different story.

As you said, it's a matter for Tesco not ReTurn. ReTurn don't dictate how Tesco deal with their vouchers.

There's more than the FAQs on the site. There is retailers PowerPoints.

Youre implying ReTurn (well the system designers, ReTurn was setup after) have intentionally designed a system that's difficult to return items. That makes no sense. The goal is 90% return rate. Why would they intentionally make it difficult then?

The decision was made so that large stores would be the only ones where containers would be mandated that they are returned. This was after consultation with retailers. The concern being that smaller stores wouldn't be able to afford it and they take up a lot of space.

What you describe is annoying and inconvenient. Where is the malicious design intent? ReTurns goal is for you to bring it back. They're failing in their role if you dont.

Do you think ReTurn and the system designed is setup to fail? That's what you're implying.

Post edited by bren2001 on

They're too small to take back cans and most likely qualify for exemption on that basis, so to answer your question: no they don't need to take back cans. but they might need to have a sign displayed somewhere or something that tells people where the nearest RVM is. i doubt they'll bother to do this though. Some chippers may even give out cans without the logo on it, until like june or so

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

I'm not implying anything. All I'm stating is that the system has been set up this way purposely. You admit that the scenario which won't be unique, grab and go market is huge, is annoying and inconvenient. In other words it will be difficult to claim the deposit. As someone said previously its like arguing with a wall.

it comes down to deposit tracking and management, but before getting into that i would also like to explain "vouchers" since i consider myself somewhat quite knowledgeable on the topic as i've been reading policies for many years, and have in the past had experiance with being signed up to places like tesco's clubcard scheme and supervalu's thing.

Regarding vouchers: The print-out deposit voucher paper thingy coming from the RVM machine's is'nt a tesco voucher, but rather a voucher that can be spent/redeemed at tesco, and only the same tesco where you've gotten the voucher from, via their RVM. Also the tesco vouchers that come from being earned via the clubcard scheme these days allow you to spend them in any tesco, and only requires that you have the same clubcard that was used to earn them with.

Regarding deposit tracking: the store that recieves your recycleables via the rvm must be (needs to be) the store that also pays you back the deposit, for the purposes of tracking claimed and redeemed deposits, and also for the purposes of re-turn reimbursing the store that paid back the deposits. And also for the shops to make 2 or 3 cent per recyclable. Its Easier to think of this as a commission. If i purchased a car or traded a car in at lets say Mr Magoo's car dealers out miles away, would it be fair if i came back to my home city's own mr magoo car dealership and then paid the commission for the transaction there? one could argue they're the same brand, but commish does'nt work like that. its a bonus paid for results you achieve, not for someone elses work.

also posted this earlier, but since you asked https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/deposit-drink-return-repeat-how-the-new-plastic-bottle-and-can-recycling-scheme-will-work/a352130529.html

Q) Can I use vouchers from one branch of a chain in another branch of the same chain?

A) No, they’re specific to one shop.

All your stating is that it was "set up this way purposely" and "of course it has been made intentionally difficult to reclaim the deposit" but somehow your not implying anything?

Why have they intentionally made it difficult? Their goal is to get you to return the container. They don't want your deposit, they want your can/bottle.

You seem to know your stuff. I'll take it I'm wrong on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well they haven't made it easy.....one would ask if they haven't made it easy or thought of each and every use case/scenario what else haven't they thought of? What further hassle/cost await the public on launch day.

Thanks for being humble and for your humility :)

And they may still get the bottle after some Bubbles type character (The Wire) roots through the bin I placed it in. It doesn't change the fact that it is difficult for the purchaser of the item to reclaim the deposit in the common scenario outlined.

Unless you disagree and think it will be easy to reclaim the deposit in the scenario outlined?

Why have they intentionally made it difficult? How is that not implying something? (ie they want to keep your deposit)

You're dodging that. You're dodging what you originally said. "Its like arguing with a wall".

At no point have I said this scheme isn't inconvenient. The scenario you describe is annoying. You'd have to double back to Tesco Express in Fairview (i assume there is the closest if they have one).

Can you explain your rationale for them "intentionally" making it difficult to redeem desposits?

Agreed 100% its like taking candy from a baby to them. However i have offered a solution for these housebound people and been called a scammer or delboy wannabe for it.

As for the latter part of your post, its a how can we profit from the problem "solution", aka a solution thats made entirely for themselves and their own best interests and not for the peoples own best interests in mind. its all a numbers game, and a scheme masquerading as pro green eviroment stuff to get people on the hype train and motivated, thinking they're actually making a difference. its political and only being done for EU recycling rate bragging rights. And are demanding people to partake in this scheme by holding their deposits ransom. We're forced to play ball or risk losing deposits, while they want free help and profit from this either way, the public only break even at best. its a punishment based incentive rather than a reward based one like the trials had. The trials was way better than this. this current feb 1st scheme the consumer can only break even at best.

Also return don't even recycle what they get, they sell it all. as seen in link i posted last page

their intention is to sell them for more revenue. "Re-turn will collect the returned bottles and cans and sell them to industry so it will also have revenue from that source."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

The government will get plenty no matter what through people not bothering to return items and whatever Re-Turn will pay through normal business costs of running this racket. Re-Turn will get plenty too but if the scheme is too easy to use Re-Turn will get more of the cash than the government might like. Re-Turn can state targets all they want. Time will tell how much people will actually be bothered to use this farce and what the cut will be between the government and Re-Turn. We shall see.

They did, but they also said it would be starting from jan 1st 2023. can't really believe alot of what they say at this point. They're like politicians with their promises and the scheme has became more political than anything. it's essentially motivated via a ___ measuring contest vs the EU, for who can reach their 90% goal faster and wave the results in their face. Also motivated by greed, ego, and profit.

Also, welcome to boards.ie new member. We hope you enjoy your stay <3

But thats the thing, re-turn won't pay at all. They refuse to even pay for the normal businuess costs of running this racket, let alone paying us for our cans/bottles. They're footing all the costs onto the retailers and onto the consumers. Very dishonest. Agreed it is a farce, especially them demanding free help and expecting people to help them reach their goal without offering people nothing in return for helping achieve that. Some neck they have. Deposit tax set up to punish those who don't help. Its a win-win for ReTurn either way.

So you agree it will be difficult to obtain the deposit in the scenario outlined. Thanks. Enjoy your Sunday

• Advertisement

Never denied that.

You can't backup your 'its intentionally designed to be difficult to bring back' bollix you're spouting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement