Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband switch deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭feargantae

They're all unlimited afair. I think it's Vodafone and eir that "reserve" the right to warn you if you go over a certain amount. In practice though you're fine.

Between Series X and Ps5 i regularly use 3-4TB and never had any trouble with Sky.

There's no longer any "new customer only" offers with Vodafone. All customers can sign up to whatever offer is available. The catch is the yearly CPI price increase bs and being recontracted for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My "problem" is I really want to continue with paper billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Sign up for paperless billing & then change it to paper (receive monthly bill by post) from within My Vodafone Billing preferences.

They charge extra for getting a hard copy by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭maximo31

Hi, sorry if wrong place but I'm with Virgin. New offer I got isn't great so I am not going to take it. Is it still possible that I cancel and my partner then sign up to the new customer offer from the same address?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Vodafone have given me 30 per month for 6 months 40 there after & paper billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jos22

that the current promo on the website, 10 euro off for 6 months with Broadband only for 30 then 40,add 5 Euro for phone with small print of annual price increase kicking in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

Anyone know if the home phone is included with the Virgin Media €35 p.m. package? I can't see it on the VM website.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭jusvi2001

Phone is not included in VM €35 monthly plan.

I renewed my contract with VF yesterday, €30 pm for first 6 months & €40 pm for remaining 6 months. This is subject to a price increase on the full €40 price of CPI plus 3% wef April. I'm on paperless billing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

My VF contract ends in May. Phoned them today to see could I switch to this as an "existing customer". Not able to - the definition of an existing customer for this offer is one who is either out of contract, or who has less than a month to go on their existing contract.

My contract was due to end on 19 Feb & the renewed my contract on 17 Jan. I'm on the current offer of €30 pm for 6 months & €40 pm for 6 months, subject to an increase in April of CPI+3% on €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thanks. Near enough to the month for them. Just think they should have specified in the advertisement what they meant by an existing customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I placed an order two weeks ago for the Virgin Media deal (500mb BB, Loaded TV and Phone with anytime calls) for €53 pm [+ €100 One4all). Was scheduled an install date for 31 January - nearly 4 weeks from order date.

I cancelled the order during the weekend after reassessing my needs and decided to go with the Sky offer on Bonkers (500mb BB, Sky Stream, Netflix and phoneline with evening landline calls) for €50 pm (+ additional 5% discount via PTSB).

The same Sky offer on their website is €55 pm with phoneline. Going through bonkers gets phoneline with evening calls for free.

Note: After applying for Sky offer on bonkers, they send a special link to Sky website to complete order (or you can phone, or Sky will phone you). The link given doesn't bring one to the right offer. I had to call Sky and complete the order over the phone, and they applied the correct offer.

Do these April price increases apply even during the contract? I thought it was only possible when the contract was finished

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’ve rang and complained and had tbe increase scrapped previously

The internet isn’t for everyone

Good to know! Although out of principal I'm avoiding any BB provider doing that yearly price increase bs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Virgin 1 year contract up BB 500mb at €39 a month.

Rang and was told "best we can do was €55 a month!".

After I stopped laughing, I asked why do new customers get it for €35 a month and was told "you are not a new customer!"

Spent the next 20 mins listening to "we are the best internet providor...... and you won't get the same speeds if you leave us" speech.

Cancelled and going to Sky at €30 a month instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rightplace2016

Had similar experience with sky as my bills jumped from 50 to 100 and best they could do was €75 . I said new customer is getting 50 euro offer and they explained how important my custom was and how I wouldn't get treatment anywhere else yet couldn't explain why new customer was getting it cheaper. so cancelled and moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Sky quoted me €30 for 500mb on a 12 month contract so going with that.

Virgin wanted 30 days notice to cancel so hopefully will have Virgin cancelled and Sky starting on the same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

Vodafone seem to keep raising the price of my bill.

It went from 45 to 47 and this month to 50. I think I'm going to change to Pure Telecom and drop the home phone as it keeps going out of order anyway and is out of order at the moment.

So best deal at the moment seems to be Pure. Are they ok to deal with? Do they use the same infrastructure as Vodafone? Do they give you a different router? I'll probably just use Bonkers to change a little bit handier. I don't have full fibre anyway only 48 meg max to the cabinet. I doubt that'll change anytime soon. Not sure if Pure do full fibre if it does change at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Pure have ftth...and they also seem to have the best deal for broadband only and also broadband and landline at the moment! Would also be interested to hear from anyone with first hand experience with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭wassie

What offers do Pure have? I find their pricing is not transparent on their website and you have to give your contact details in order to get available plans - no thanks.

There €24/month offer is actually (in small writing at the bottom of the page) €24/m for 6 months, €50/m thereafter and speed is capped at 100Mb/s. Not great value at all really.

Full FTTH seems priced from €35/month for 1Gb/s speed (no indication of

Sky beats both of these at €30/month capped at 500Mb/s or €40/month for 1Gb/s. 500Mb/s is more than fast enough for most households. Sky also doesnt have CPI+ rises built into the T&Cs (can anyone with Sky confirm this?)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭jimjangles

I can't get fIbre to the home. Pure have fttc up to 100 meg, that'd be 48 meg for me at 30 euro a month for a year. Best deal for me with my limited options as I can't get full fibre and there's no sign of it ever coming to my area.

I am on 500MB Fiber Broadband since I moved into my new house on 28th April for 35 per month. Contract expires in April. I just got the below email

I would be happy to stick with them and pay an extra 5 a month to avoid any hassle of switching. Presuming they wont switch me onto that automatically and as the email below suggests I should call 1907 and at what point in advance of April should I call?

"Dear Customer,

Your minimum period for your Vodafone at Home services ends on 17/04/2024.

If you are happy with your current plan, no further action is required but please note any promotional discounts may expire on 17/04/2024.

The best tariff available to you is Vodafone 500MB Full Fibre Broadband at €40 per month. To move to this plan now, please call 1907"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭John arse

Changed over to pure last summer, excellent providers with no unexpected charges (35 per month). Was with Vodafone - absolute robbers and gougers!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Pure also had fritzbox routers, which are pretty good and can be used to create a mesh network with some additional second hand ones.

€30/month would be around the best price for any type of fixed broadband at the moment.

I wouldn't do anything until you are in your last month of contract and see what offers are available then.

For example, the current VF offer (€35/m for first 6 months, €40/m thereafter) is available to existing subscribers. VF wont offer this though until your in your last month. If you wait until your 2-3 days out, you probably have the best chance to get their retentions team make you an offer to stay if you threaten to leave.

Also switching on FTTH is not difficult. Signup with a new provider, they send you out new equipment, swap it over and plug it in and your away. Of course you may have to adjust your own network settings.

I use my own mesh router so I never have to swap over or change any network settings. Simply just change the logon credentials to the new provider and that it.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 adventures

FYI SKY 30 euro

Signed up to skys 30 euro for 12 months.

Requested the activation date my eir broadband finishes in February.

They changed the date by 3 weeks, So I paid eir and now paying sky also and I'm on 35 euro a month plan.

Called them and spent 30 minutes to a call centre in India they now say they cant offer me the 30euro offer because my line is part old line.

So frustrating

Advertisement