Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

And there was something said in his appearance before the Oireachtas committees about paying back that 150K. Doesn't seem to be any sign of a repayment of that 150K either. That's going to hang over any attempt to get Tubridy back into RTE.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Any chance of paying the money back died with the contract re-negotiation falling through.

It could be possible to come to an agreement should any future contract be “drawn up”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

He said he would pay the money back to the committee, before any 'new contact'.

Are you saying Tubs lied to the TDs?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

Give the man a break for heavens sake, he was made unemployed and had to emergrate like 1000s of his native folk before him. The man just lost his job and only for some nice people who found a flat would have become another homeless statistic on streets of Picidilly or Chelsea. I am sure once he is settled in and has a few bob he will start a re-payment plan simular to those who are caught riding the social. It was not his fault he was plucked obscurely and talentless and hoisted into the most sought after broadcasting role in TV, it probably was written in the stars for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I’ve still no idea why people think he would EVER be employed by the tax/licence payers money again.

Why are people talking like it’s a possibility ?

’if you give me a job I’ll pay you back the money I owe you’ is acceptable ?

It should be a stain on his character that he’s NEVER allowed to return from.

Imagine being in front of a judge for robbery and suggesting - ‘if I can keep the money I’ve robbed I’ll pay the fine’. Pure madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont think he should come back.

Bur he was close to being re-hired by RTE for radio slot until Bakkurst took issue with Tubridys remarks about the pay scandal during negotiations.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

You're thinking like a normal person who earns a normal salary and must play by a set of rules in life....

None of this applies to titans of society like the RTE board, Bakhurst or Ryan Tubridy.

I would place a large bet he'll be back in RTE in the short to medium. And I don't even think any repayment of the 150k will necessarily figure into his new contract. That ship sailed. RTE aren't sorry about anything. They're just sorry they got caught burning public money. The golden boy will be welcomed back home at some stage and the lowly staffers will have to suck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭yagan

I had to emigrate when that runt was on 700k.

There's real anger out there that these self appointed celebs were rolling in it when most people struggled.

Zero sympathy. Arrogantly he thinks he's the wronged one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Except, of course Tubridy didn’t rob a single cent.

He had a contract with RTE, and was paid under that contract. That RTE shouldn’t have entered into such a contract with him, or that Renault didn’t bother availing of the services entitled to them under the contract are neither here nor there. He was and remains legally entitled to the money.

So let’s just stick to the facts, instead of building some fanciful narrative where robbers are in front of judges.

There’s plenty of things to criticise Tubridy about. But criminality isn’t one of them.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s hilarious how he manages to boil the piss of some lads. Put down the phone and go for a brisk walk by the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting that the Indo has a piece today quoting Bryan Dobson saying the rte scandal still has more to reveal and isn't going away yet.

Further scandals or secrets coming out will just add to the general frustration there is for rte among the licence payers. It will lead to an increase in the hatred already felt for them.

And with each new secret or shocking details being released, it would make a return of the prodigal son ever less likely.

Dee Forbes still MIA too.

Looking at the salary increases even after the bank guarantee really highlights an entitlement culture detached from society.

I loathe the tv license adverts when there's zero accountability from the rat nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Except, of course, by his own admission, it's not his money, regardless of contractual get outs.

Let's look at what he said again - if that work is not called upon to be done, of course the money goes back”.

Now, for once, I will agree with Tubs. "Of course the money goes back" if the work is not done. But it hasn't, despite his agreement that it would, and should.

So if he has already accepted it's not his, and should go back, but then decides NOT to give it back, well that's holding onto money you have publicly acknowledged is not yours. There's a few words that could define that, and "rob" fits quite nicely, regardless of the legals. It's a moral imperative.

As you've said Gregor, "So let's just stick to the facts, instead of building some fanciful narrative.." He took the money, confirmed to the Oireachtas Committee that it was right it should be repaid if he didn't do the work, but pocketed it instead. That's scummy behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

He’s no longer employed by RTÉ, the contract is up and no new one drawn up.

When Ryan is back with RTÉ something will be “worked” into that new contract to facilitate this, even though Ryan was under zero obligation to pay anything back as the money was contractually guaranteed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

You truncated the sentence you quoted me on. This is disingenuous on your part. I was very clearly taking about allusions to criminality in previous posts, and you are well aware of that:

So let’s just stick to the facts, instead of building some fanciful narrative where robbers are in front of judges.

But you conveniently left out the "where robbers are in front of judges" part.

If you or anyone else wants to make a complaint regarding theft to the Gardaí, you're free to do so. But you will find, as a simple matter of fact, that being the beneficiary of a favourable employment contract is not theft - in any way, shape or form - in this jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Morgans

I think Tubridy is a **** broadcaster, and likely to be a **** person, but due to Noel Kelly's relationship with Dee Forbes (would be interested in seeing an forensic accountant report back on their arrangements) has been elevated to a position way above his abilities. While Tubridy rise was down to NK and RTE politics, Tubridy believed the nonsense that NK and RTE had been telling him. So when publicly taking a pay cut in solidarity with the rest of RTE staff - his supposed friends, and as has been outlined everyone who works with him thinks he's great - his agent was making for arrangements for Ryan not to be out of pocket. Obviously, it wouldn't be a good look for their star investment so let's pretend its Renault that's going to pay for it. and of course NK talent management will use a different company to invoice. "No one will find out Ryan, but you will get 150K a year. We have been screwing the taxpayers for years so fuckem".

Can you and the other members of the Ryan Tubridy Criticism Council meet and adjudge if I'm ok to dislike Ryan Tubridy for the above? I know you are not a fan but I'm hoping you, the other paid NK contributors, and Tubridy fans can make a decision on this matter quickly. I'm in a quandry.

Fair enough, not intentional on my part to mislead, I took the first part of the sentence to have been more encompassing, given that I still believe that he has effectively robbed the funds (by not repaying as he said), but I wasn't trying to mislead your point, but again, fair enough.

As you are aware, and all of us are aware, there is no legal theft here, and nobody is suggesting that (that I have seen) or else there would be reports to the Gardaí. People are saying that it amounts to theft, by not repaying what he should and said he would.

The irony for me anyway, is that if he had done the decent thing, and paid the 150k back as promised to the Oireachtas Committee, he'd be getting an easier ride right now on that score at least. But he seems to value the cash more than his reputation on that score.

There has been a massive rupture of trust as evidenced by the decline of license payers.

• Advertisement

Ah, a classic Faustian tale: Tubridy, dissatisfied with mediocrity, sells his soul to the omnipotent Devil’s agent (introducing Noel Kelly as Mephistopheles) in return for untold opportunity and riches (€150,000 or 3 public appearances at Renault garages).

Just remember, in Goethe’s telling of the fable, Faust is finally redeemed and enters heaven.

But of course Kelly isn’t Mephistopheles, or some other hokum-pokum bogey man. He’s a successful talent agent, endeavouring to get the best deals for his clients. It was a stupid deal for RTE to sign - but they did.

This situation is 100% RTE’s fault.

I know you’re being facetious, but if you want to ignore the facts and player-hate on Tubridy, Kelly and anyone with a balanced opinion on the matter, that’s your prerogative. But it won’t stop me simply and succinctly pointing out the facts when I see fit, and that’s for you to handle

@Gregor Samsa

While this thread continues to intrigue, perhaps we could all agree on the 2 below bullets, for the record so to speak!

1. Tubs is not legally obligated to pay back the funds and this legal dilemma is one completely of RTE's making due to incompetence of the highest order.
    2. Tubs accepted to a Government committee in the full public glare that if that work is not called upon to be done, of course the money goes back”, thus the reason why many have a view that he accepted the moral argument for repayment, and are surprised that he has not followed through.

Yes, and it would be useful to understand why RTE did sign that deal. Shame Dee Forbes is so sick. Guess we'll never know just why Noel Kelly is so persuasive.

At least the arrangement did allow Tubridy's fans' plausible deniability that he was in lock step with his RTE colleagues who all suffered pay cuts, and ignore that his agent was working to ensure no hardship would come to Ryan. And as any solicitor will tell you, "i advise, you decide". Agents do not make the decisions.

So, the Ryan Tubridy Criticism Council has said its ok for me to dislike Tubridy for his situation, or not.

Let's think about this in terms of how the real world, and real people, work. Where there's nuance and perspective, context and ambivalence. Not the artificial idealised, black and white pseudo-morality of social media discussion.

Tubridy was in front of the PAC (and the nation) at a time that he was in active negotiations with RTE for his radio contract. He was still being paid by them at the time, still under their financial control. The TDs on the Committee are all trying to show that they're hard-nosed investigators, even though Dail Committees have zero powers of any consequence. This isn't a trial, he's not under oath, it isn't an inquest, it isn't a Tribunal, it isn't the House Committee on Un-American Activities; it's basically a bunch of random TDs in a room with microphones, that have invited him there with the same legal power you or I could invoke to invite a cousin to our birthday party. But boy, are they going to use those microphones - there's voters watching. They ask Tubridy if he'll pay back the 150k.

Freeze frame.

For Tubridy, there's only one possible answer to this: "If that work is not called up to be done, of course the money goes back". If he says anything other than this, his contract negotiations with RTE are over. We got him, lads! Here we have a citizen basically being held over a barrel by elected politicians with no statuary power to enforce or punish, in front of the nation, with his career and future in the balance. It's actually a terrifyingly undemocratic situation if you think about it, but let's put that aside and just deal with things as they played out.

Paying the money back will be part of the new contract. Assuming, as he and everything else did at the time, his contract is finalised, the money will be paid back. You can't just hand RTE an envelope with 150k - that's just not how these things work. Tax has been paid on it. PRSI. USC. Pension contributions. VAT, etc. This requires that instead of cash being hand over, work is done in lieu of it. So you pay back by working but not being paid (or being paid less). It's a contractual arrangement, and it only works if the contract exists. Which of course it will...

Fast forward a few weeks, and RTE end the negotiations on a whim. They don't like an Instagram post Tubridy made. Their prerogative, but an unforeseen situation for all involved.

He's left with no contract. He's no longer paid by RTE. No agreement or mechanism to repay the money. He physically can't just Revolut RTE 150k (they can't just legally or fiscally accept money handed to them like that), and he can't "work it off" as he was going to under the contract (that never happened). So he has to walk away, keep the money (that is legally his) and move on with his life. Which he has done on a national radio station in the UK, syndicated on multiple local stations here, and a national Sunday newspaper column.

So yeah, on the internet, with its hot takes and 180 character theses, he didn't pay back, so he's a scumbag and a thief. Judgment made, take him out at dawn, shoot him and charge his family for the price of the bullet, and let's all clap ourselves on the back for our moral righteousnesses.

Some of us, though, can still recognise, process and incorporate the complexities and contractions of real life in our world view.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

You are forgetting that it is Tuttle Productions who will be paying the money back. Not Tubs personally, so tax and pension does not come into to the equation.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Fair point. So substitute those with Corporation Tax, VAT, etc. The accounting complexities are probably even more onerous for inter-company transactions than employer-employee.

But regardless, it's the fact that the contract negotiations ceased without agreement that prevents the money being "worked off".

Edit: Actually, this reminds be of something regarding the "moral" argument. Morality is for individuals. Companies are legally required to act within the law, and - under the, fiduciary duties laid out in Part 5 of the Companies Act 2014 - in the best interests of the company and its shareholders - not by the constraints of individual morality or "the common good".

A company unilaterally paying 150k cash to a former client for no return, when not legally required, would certainly not be in the best interests of the company or its shareholders.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

Why are you assuming that paying the money back would be part of a new contract?

Tubs was clearly making a throwaway statement to stave off the contractually held position that RTE was going to have to pay 150K for pretending to MC some Renault events, and even Tubs knew how NK bidding for his client did for his reputation.

As you suggest, there was never financial structures to get the 150K back. Would be as much hassle for RTE as for Tubs. I think Tubs is too dumb to realise this, but it would have been been very clever to volunteer the repayments if he did.

Kevin Bakhurst specifically said that RTE would ask for the money back and take it if Tubridy “was agreeable to it”. Via the contract negotiations was the only mechanism that could happen.

I'm sure some other mechanisms could be looked at. Perhaps An Post could take it towards licence fee income.

Whatever. Let's start with Tubs saying he's prepared to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Read is Daily Mail column, he met with the Doyle brothers. Craig Doyle who RTÉ missed out on, only to have his brother Keith appear on numerous RTÉ shows in the early 2000s and then tried to have Craig become a chatshow hosts.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Advertisement