Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much to Compromise on Location?

Options
  • 26-01-2024 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14 bea468

I have been trying to buy for nearly a year now in Dublin, I’m a single buyer. I’m currently living in a house-share which I am completely fed up with. I posted here before looking for advice and it helped a lot so I’d like to hear some opinions on this.

I’m trying to buy either a 2 bed apartment or a small house but I have been outbid more times than I can count on both types of property and the whole situation is becoming very draining. Initially my search area was very broad (most of south Dublin) but I’ve narrowed it down to areas that I would like to live in and suit well in terms of work and I think I should be able to afford based on the property price register. Ideally I would like to buy a 2 bed house in Crumlin/ Dublin 8 or an apartment in Dublin 8 or Dundrum. My perfect area for both work and life would be D6 but I can't afford anywhere there.

My problem is that even in Crumlin/ D8/ apartments in Dundrum I am getting outbid on everything (on the two occasions I have been the highest bidder they have gone with a cash buyer) and there is very little supply. I’m also worried about completely draining my savings and maxing out my mortgage allowance leaving myself with no buffer/ no money for travel/ new car etc. Which I would probably have to do for Crumlin/ D8/ Dundrum. And whereas I wouldn’t mind doing that as much for a turnkey house in Crumlin than needed very little work, I am more worried about maxing out my mortgage/ savings for a not-so perfect house or an apartment.

I have started to consider houses in Drimnagh or apartments in Stepaside – neither area I know very well and they wouldn’t be my first choice to live in but I’m wondering at what stage do I have to compromise even further on location. Both of those areas I should be able to afford without draining my savings entirely and getting a slightly smaller mortgage and I’d be able to put an end to the endless searching/ viewings. They also suit work reasonably well, Drimnagh slightly more than Stepaside but Stepaside is a lot closer to most of my friends and family who mostly live in the Dun L area.

Should I keep trying in Crumlin/ dundrum etc or accept that I need to move on to the other options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cinderella2000

I'm of no use to you in terms of areas in Dublin to consider.

When buying people all have a why- the reason they're buying now. I'm sure you've got a why & it's more than just the house share reason.

Are you trying to get stability into your life, secure yourself financially in that your money is going on an asset longer term than rent etc etc. at a stage of life the house shares need to stop. Or you're looking just because you financially, potentially, could buy.

When you think back on the few whys youre buying now, it helps show you how picky or flexible you can be on your location. Is this a I need to buy or I would like to.

If you're determined to buy now, youl broaden the search to the initial area you had of most of South Dublin.

If you're in no rush, can keep going as is, youl narrow your search as above and keep a close eye on those areas across the next year or 2. (No one can tell how the market will be in that time)

I think you should view as many as you can in areas you've not looked into fully and see could you make it work with work & social life. Talk to those closest to you on what you're options are at the minute. They know you're lifestyle etc, theyl want the best for you and should guide well.

As a single buyer I think location is very important... You need to be comfortable in the area. You need to be able see family/friends if you take whim and just fancy it.

You need to be careful about taking a mortgage on a property that's left you with work and no social life, painful travel times to drop into a friends for the evening.

You're used to people knocking around the house when you get in. Maybe you've lived alone before? That could broaden the search if you have and have experience in it. Youl know what works best for you.

If you're isolated because of location youl end up selling.

Lots here should have sound advice of locations.

First time single buyer is a very hard road to be on. Lean on those who's opinion you respect. Beat of luck 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You can't have your cake and eat it. You want a perfect house, and holidays, and a new car. You'll just have to make some sacrifices for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JVince

I'd look at where you work and assuming you expect to work there for a few years, look at the public transport options serving there especially the bus connects corridors that might be nearby.

Then see what is available on this corridor.

Then see if they are places you'd like to live.

Sometimes you might find a hop on hop off transport option is available. Eg, a less frequent service that feeds into a frequent service for getting into work meaning when you get off the first bus, the second bus will be less than 5 minutes.

If Rathfarnham meets such criteria, that might be an option as there's good stock of apartments there and something will come up

This would be my choice - only one bed but 650sq ft and spacious https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-21-riverbank-dodder-park-road-rathfarnham-dublin-14/5527287

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Woah

Drimnagh is just across the road from Crumlin not a huge compromise on location imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Stepaside is far enough out, would you not look at Walkinstown for good value and very very good public transport? and has a bit of that urban village feel, it's near enough to Kimmage and Terenure which are nice areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That’s about as close as you can get to the OP’s D6 without actually being in it. A shortish walk to Churchtown, Rathgar and easy striking distance to Rathmines although public transport is realistically the 14 bus. Not bad to get to Dundrum either.

The funny this is because you called it “Rathfarnham”, I envisaged it being a lot further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JVince

Cross the road and 100m walk and you are in Rathgar 😀 another 50m and you are in Milltown, similar distance to be officially in Churchtown. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,491 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I always think once you get past Walkingstown then your getting out of urban Dublin on the Northside it's past Beaumont.

Rathfarnham is alright but it has a lot of urban sprawl and doesn't have that urban village feel of say somewhere like Ternure.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Where do you work OP, I think that might help us a lot here. And do you have flexibility in terms of remote working?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Came here to say this! we were looking in Crumlin in 2019 ended up buying in Drimnagh. I would say I prefer being on the Crumlin side of drimnagh as in close to the Crumlin road, but the flip side of that is if you intend on using the Luas daily you might be better off down the canal end. But I think its safe to say there is very little in the difference between Crumlin / Drimnagh.

We love it here neither of us are from Crumlin / Drimnagh originally.

I think stretching yourself to buy a house is the norm I would say go for it and the rest will fall into place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭thebourke

Drimnagh also has the luas nearby.You can also walk to town from it.Takes about an hour.

Very close to M7 and m50 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You are looking for a 2 bed spartment or small house. There are 3 variables in terms of compromise:- Location, size and condition. One thing you can't do is move a property. You might be able to extend or improve it. Are you willing to go to a 1 bed. Are you willing to take a run down property? This should be factored in. In general it is better to buy a run down property in the right location than a perfect property in the wrong location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

I would go with Stepaside given the above choice

Nice settled area, easy access to motorway network, bus routes that go into town and along the coast and luas line nearby, nice scenery and access to the Dublin mountains, v short drive to Dundrum or Carrickmines for shopping, would be closer to your friends and family

• Dundrum is very expensive for property. Crumlin is more doable and an area I worked in for a long time, a good community there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bea468

Thanks a mil for the responses so far. I work in Tallaght hospital so that's a no to any remote working and I'll likely be working there for a few more years anyway. I don't really want to buy a one bed, long term I'd worry about that. It would suit me at the moment but I'd like to think if I buy I could stay in the house/apt for at least 7+ years.

My issue is I don't really know any of the areas convenient to Tallaght. No one I know outside of work lives close to it, through college and into my late twenties until now I've always lived closer to town. I wouldn't be opposed to somewhere like Rathfarnham but as someone said previously it is a bit of a sprawl of housing estates which doesn't really attract me.

I suppose a concern of mine is I want to buy somewhere relatively close to work, or somewhere I don't have a 40 min+ commute in the car but I also don't want to end up in an area and feel isolated knowing nobody as a single buyer.

I realise Drimnagh is practically the same as Crumlin I'm just not as familiar with it and one thing I am conscious of as a single female buyer is that I want to feel comfortable walking home at night etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Stepaside is a nice settled area and handy for the M50 to Tallaght.

The apartment in Rathfarnham posted above on Dodder Park Road is a fantastic locaton.

Its basically Churchtown. Right next to Churchtown and Rathgar villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That property is, thankfully, closer to the urban centre of Terenure rather than Rathfarnhsm which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

There's a lot of value on the northside. I viewed a two-bed apartment for less than 300k that had parking and was ready to move in, 20 mins walk from Busaras (i.e. the Luas).

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Working in Tallaght, no matter what OP is going to result in either a good spin to town or a good spin to work unfortunately, unless you buy half way between the 2.

If I was picking having read your description OP I'd be picking Stepaside of all of those. Decent transport links in to town, close to family (as you mention Dun Laoghaire) and a well settled area. Nice amenities close to the area as well.

I'd never worry about not knowing anybody in an area, you can get to know people easily by joining clubs/societies/community initiatives. You'll get to know people over time.

I'd be slow to buy a "fixer upper" at the moment, builders are impossible to get and you'd probably find unless you can do some of the work yourself it'll end up costing as much.

I'd also not buy a 1-bed apartment if you were intending potentially having kids some day. You don't know where the economy could go and don't want to end up in the post-Celtic tiger situation wanting to move out of something but can't sell it without taking a hit. No guarantee where house prices are going to go.

Best of luck and others might have another opinion, just my thoughts.

Post edited by left_hander on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

Approximately how much is your budget OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is relatively good value in Rathcoole or Saggart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Plenty of nice places in Tallaght itself, and tons of new apartments being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Not been to Tallaght for a month or so, but are these new apartments being built on the outskirts?

There didnt seem much space left to build in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Off the top of my head, 3 I saw yesterday - a large new development on the Belgard Road, opposite Burger King (junction of Airton Road). And more to be built, I believe. A second development right on the Luas Line opposite Springfield, and more again up opposite the Irish Times building off the Katherine Tynan Road.

Advertisement