Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Yes ultimately Re-Turn will take more in than they pay out in tax, running costs etc. otherwise whats in it for them. Customer pays all costs. Thats a given at this stage. The only question left is whats the split going to be between Re-Turn and the government? All for the environment though. Dont forget that 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

it would be nice if they "ReTurned" the excess money to the consumers lol. perhaps a "free drinks scheme" where anyone who recycles 4 cans gets their normal deposit + a free drink. Obviously not alcohol. But with the fizzy drinks cans and bottles of water i mean. Something like this for a week or 2 at the end of the year, or during the summer would be a nice way to pay us back for helping them achieve their goals.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

It's a feature of how the system has been designed. It's literally that simple. Unless your argument is that its an oversight on behalf of Re-Turn it has to be intentional. Now next you'll me ask why. I can't speak to why Re-Turn have designed it this way.

It's amazing what people will argue on the Internet. You don't disagree that it will be difficult to return the item in the common scenario outlined but are still arguing for the sake of it.

If its not intentional what is it? Unintentional? An accident? I don't see how it could be unintentional but you seem to have resigned yourself to spending your Sunday arguing over a word. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

They want to build a recycling plant for plastics as opposed to shipping them overseas.

I assume the profits will go into this and other similar environmental schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

• Advertisement

He/she won the argument. Also re-turn not wanting the cans to be damaged quite clearly shows how hard it is to bring back, + putting the RVMs in super markets and big franchise chains, while local small corner shops become exempt from the scheme and only point you in the direction of where the next nearest rvm is at most. Maybe we should somehow force small business to become part of the scheme and to take our cans over the counter instead? After all re-turn as pointed out by the banned user a few posts above, had initially promised all shops being participants of the scheme and accepting the recycleables.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Your implication was that it was intentionally designed so that ReTurn could keep the deposit. The scheme was designed to be as convenient as possible for everyone (shops, people, producers). It was a trade off, not an intentional design to make it difficult as you're saying.

The original scheme had every shop being mandated to to take returns. After consultation, they brought in/extended the takeback exemption so that it was only large stores.

It wasn't an intentional design. It was a byproduct and trade off.

It amazing what people will try to argue on the internet. You don't like the scheme so you'll argue to fit your narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Assumption is the mother of all mistakes.

One would "assume" that a request asking people to change their habbits (whatever those habbits might be) would be accompanied by a well thought out, documented and communicated plan with questions such as this easily answered.

Instead we have a scheme costing millions, that has numerous flaws from day one that could/should have been addressed in planning/pilot stage being masquaraded as a "reclycing" scheme.

It's comical.

We have a scheme that has been demonstrated to work in other countries. We have a scheme designed to meet the EU Directive.

Germany has a 98% collection rate. You can't realistically do better than that.

You see numerous flaws. I don't. I think people are blowing things out of proportion. This scheme will work.

• Advertisement

So you're saying its a copycat scheme being done to keep the EU happy? not sure where this is going so i wanted to ask about it to get more clarity.

i don't think it matters (well atleast to the consumers) if the scheme works or not, and why should we? we can't really bask in our countries glory or reaching their goals if it does succeed. There's nothing in it for us, our government gets bragging rights but thats it. Its not our hill to die on, yet we're being inconvenienced and more a less forced into this with no reward, only a punishment based incentive.

I see inconveniences. I see trade offs. I think you and I will define flaws differently.

Do i see anything that will prevent the system from reaching 90%? No.

I think the system in its current form would reach 90% collection within the next 5 years.

Yeah, we've taken the German system. Modified it for Ireland. All of this is to meet the EU Directive. That's what I believe.

it can reach 90% collection in less than a year, if return was'nt being so fussy/controlling and allowed non-logo cans to be returned. this is clearly more about numbers than it actually is about recycling.

return even admits to not actually recycling them. they claim to sell them instead and called it "another source of revenue for the scheme" they don't seem to care about recycling at all, and instead are selling them on. i feel most of us have been mislead about this all along.

all a numbers game. its numbers they want! reaching the target goal

Surely you can admit at least one flaw - that they have completely overlooked the cohort who are elderly and shop online.

Perhaps a second flaw - that the German model hasn't seen any reduction in the actual use or manufacture of plastic bottles - the opposite in fact.

At least two major issues, never mind the other issues I have drawn attention to earlier in this thread.

We don't have the facilities to recycle them in Ireland is my understanding.

The CEO on the Claire Byrne show said the intention is to build a recycling plant for them. It needs to be economically viable first. This scheme will make it economically viable.

If you want to argue the first is a flaw, sure. It's semantics. I wouldn't call it a flaw but i understand what you mean. There is a very small cohort that this scheme is essentially impossible to comply with. Flaw isn't the word Id use.

In the second case, the use of single use plastics have increased in every country. That's not a German specific problem it's global. Germany recycles over 90% of PET containers. German has far better statistics then countries that don't have such a scheme. The data isn't there to prove (or disprove) that point in my opinion.

to be fair, we do have the facilities, but just not in their favor. They want money from it before anything else and if its not financially feasible then they're not willing to take a hit for the sake of recycling and rather push that fee on the consumers instead. Scrap yards in ireland do take cans recycling, i posted their current rates a few pages back and found atleast a handful that accept cans.

As for plastic bottle facilities i'm unsure, and believe its possible none of these yet exist in ireland. From what i know theyre supposed to get melted into plastic pellets which and re-sold as raw material, but why have we been recycling all these paste years if we don't even have these facilties? MONEY thats why. They simply sell them to 3rd world countries and have people dig through our trash for recyclables.

most of the cans/bottles valuble quick easy money recycleables from the recycling bins from people who already recycle are being redirected their way into ReTurn's hands in this scheme, this is done intentionally with the deposit thing by design so the bin men don't get them.

This also comes with the additional few people supposedly in theory no longer deciding to throw their cans on the road knowing they can get money back from them, or other people supposedly coming out of nowhere to pick them cans up if they do happen to see them. But then there's also the mindset of "oh my can is damaged, no point carrying this around with me anymore since i can no longer get the deposit on it due to being broke" and then discarding it onto the street. Which creates more messier environment.

its really just something that sounds/looks good on paper and in theory to some. but more of an assumption based thing and of a speculative nature than anything

Granted the amount of elderly who shop from home is small. The percentage of the population who shop from home is increasing however, with as yet, no sign of how to accomodate them in a "green" way. Should shopping from home be punished or dis-encentivised as this scheme is doing - again looking at the bigger picture.

What incentive have drinks companies (and others) got to completely revamp how they approach the environment if we, as a population, are happy enough partake in pointless schemes such as this?

The percentage of people who do online shopping exclusively is small. I suspect the majority (90%+) visit a major shop every month or pass by a major shop on the way to work/elsewhere.

It's very inconvenient for the people who shop online exclusively.

Do you think the scheme will reach the 90% collection rate target within 5 years? (90% by 2029 is the target)

• Advertisement

I think the latest figures I've seen are that 3% of the population do their weekly shop online and that figure is trending upwards I believe. I have no idea on how many of those people would be willing to collect the bottles etc weekly and go out of their way to return them. If they do, they'll be hopping in their car, adding to the traffic and increasing their carbon emmissions to do so.

It probably will - mainly because it has to. But at what cost and with what benefits to the consumer/environment?

What annoys me is the additional workload and cost it places on the consumer/individual (and more so those who already use a recycle bin), the lack of a stick to hit the producers with and the lack of any major efforts to enhance any existing schemes that were in place!

yes one may argue the percentage of elderly doing online shopping is small, but its not just the elderly that do online shopping though keep in mind. There's also the physically disabled who use online delivery, people who have social anxiety, people who have that "can't leave my house" phobia (the name escapes me), and ontop of all that you also have the lazy people who simply don't wanna leave their homes, or the people who have tight schdules and rely on the conveinience of delivery, or housebound stuck looking after kids and can't leave their homes for whatever reason. Infact there does'nt need to be any reason or justification for choosing delivery.

Remember lockdowns? Was alot of delivery, infact i still see tesco and dunnes delivery vans atleast 3 times a day.

Either way, its quite clear now that re-turn have entirely disregarded these people intentionally (to get their cans or their deposits) and are only in it for the money. So they clearly considered these people in mind and designed this scheme like this intentionally. so they win-win either way. and benefit off of people who don't/can't partake in bringing their recyclables to the RVM. Clearly by design after being pointed out.

its a bit of a cheek them wanting free cans/bottles if the machine rejects them too. i'd rather try again or take them to another machine. Its not only losing deposit, but its also giving them a free can. Too cheeky. it feels like they're putting the hand out and still wanting it even if machine gives you no deposit with the whole bin for rejected bottles idea

for every 1 ton of cans, they can get €1000 free! or €1 for every kilogram (58-65 cans)

source for current prices https://scrapyard.ie/scrap-metal-prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's also reflective and not something that is current printed so exactly the same issues exist, plus even less area to print the barcode on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I live beside a big supermarket where I do all my shopping.

They have placed the machines right down the back of the store right in the middle of a food section. Seems mad.

Be funny watching people dragging manky bags of cans down the aisles leaking everywhere.

Welcome back to the thread my friend, we've missed you. You give really great opinions and very insightful responses.

What is your take on things like "green-tax" being applied on this scheme? in a way this deposit scheme is kind of a pesudo green tax on people who choose not to recycle, and on people who still do choose to recycle but at home with their bin provider instead of at the local RVM machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Of course, we can’t inconvenience a few manufacturers, better to inconvenience the entire nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do we have the same scheme operationally though? Especially with regard to number of manual outlets. It would be interesting to see the mix of outlets from Germany and where bottles are actually collected percentage wise.

I think the scheme should have been made more convenient for end consumers, as the ultimate onus is on them to return the bottles. And the lack of smaller manual outlets for the grab and go scenario I think is a flaw in the scheme. And also online deliveries - yes those people go to other shops but mostly smaller ones eg get petrol, get bread, get a paper - but because of how the scheme is deployed here, you will likely need to go to a supermarket with an RVM to reclaim deposit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

"please redesign every single part of your packaging system to accommodate a non-standard thing that only one small country is going to do" is a bit more than an inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement