Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

There would be natural resources in Siberia. China (if Russia collapsed) would be well capable of controlling local populations although 'controlling' is probably not the correct word.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Just because they will lose their imperial war against Ukraine does not mean Russia will collapse, no more so than the U.K. collapsed when we got our freedom.

Its part of the Russian propaganda narrative don't support Ukraine or there will be chaos and China will gain etc. etc.

They will collapse the whole deck of cards will tumble Chechens will go to war against the Russians and their lackies the  Kadyrovs will be gutted like pigs , Dagestan will follow,and the weakened Russian army won't be able to fight on every front , china will come in and take what they want others will other interventions ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭jmreire

China did have lands in a part of Siberia, but the were taken by Russia. And now, Xi is putting tne original Chinese names back on the signposts and villages etc, beside their Russian names. Sign of things to come???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Depends what you mean by Russia losing the war. Hard to see them sent packing from Ukraine without something catastrophic happening.

Expect a new Chinese map with a new dash line ,I know they went back to the Chinese names of old Chinese territory last year, I think you may have posted the map and story about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

they are drinking themselves to death and not producing offspring… bad demographics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Russia is still a nuclear armed state. A very different and serious ball game to actually invade part of Russian territory. I'd say China would be happy to essentially have a kind of puppet leader in Russia, who ensures China get favorable terms and access to resources. I don't think China would actually launch an invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Does China have expansionist plans? Bar Taiwan and Tibet, which China argues were always part of China and who's populations are historically Chinese, I haven't heard anything.

• Advertisement

Reclaiming what was once theirs, China would not consider that to be expansionist merely restoring a part of China back to the mainland, as in Hong-Kong, and presently Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm not sure why so many people seem to think the outcome hinges on Ukraine defeating Russia on the field. It's not a realistic goal and couldn't happen unless the West poured weapons into Ukraine, which they obviously are not doing, I would imagine to avoid an obvious red-line moment that could provoke a dangerous response.

The goal is for Ukraine to fight until Russia isn't able to continue the war and is left with no option but to withdraw. No different to how the Taliban didn't literally defeat the USSR, or the IRA didn't defeat the British Army.

I mean we are talking about a country with a GDP comparable to many other European countries. Russia isn't the global powerhouse some people bizarrely make it out to be. Their ability to wage war on various levels is finite, be they economic or social pressures, etc. It's not sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I'm probably delusional but I'm hoping all this talk of trouble on the Ukrainian side from the Ukrainians is a psiops to bait Russia into attacking more while the weather is shite.

The loss ratio is very favourable right now and Russia isn't making many gains. Why not publicly state you're running out of men and are having trouble mobilising. General Vladimir Vladimirivich Vlady Putin will be happy to keep pushing.

It's honestly Incredible how Russia eased off the throttle for all the good weather because they falsely believe the Ukraine counter attack was a threat and now they're throwing everything during the bad weather. Would be funny if they eventually had to pause for a regroup come the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Yes, probably delusional, the Ukrainians are not playing 4D chess to lull the Russians into a false sense of optimism, people have been making such claims since early last year...

Meanwhile, Ukraine needs to first make sure everyone on its team is actually helping rather than using the war for personal gain:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

Beijing produced the “9-Dash Line” out of the ether to unilaterally claim ownership of damn near the entirety of the South China Sea. They claimed it was based on some “found” historic maps, but the reality is that they just wanted control of a resource-rich area. China will certainly try to expand when possible. They’re just slyer about it than the Russians.

There are sections of the Russian Far East that we know were actually part of China before, and Beijing would need to cook up considerably less fiction to make their case. Furthermore the CCP’s M-O in controlling territory isn’t about the headache of controlling non-Han people. Their record so far is to strictly regulate the local population and then plant Han migrants into the area until they outnumber the locals. This has been their tactics in Tibet & Xinjang and I fully imagine a repeat of that in Russia if they thought they could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Once again, here we are with a post that is almost entirely non-factual. First it was "the Brits don't have the codes for their nuclear deterrent", now the Bradleys - IFVs that have been seen making mincemeat out of Russian MBTs, including a T-90 - are "completely ineffective".

One might wonder where this poster gets their information from (if one didn't already have a pretty good idea).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Bradley's have been shown to tear through the supposedly invincible T90 tanks; as with most things the might of the Russian army has been exaggerated if not outright false.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

Good points that I agree with. Ukraine needs to make putin's adventure acting as a terrorist in their country as costly for him as possible and something will eventually breakdown for putin. Recent drone strikes by Ukraine on oil infrastructure are an important step in this. Warfare has moved a long way from armies marching out onto a field and victory going to the one left standing at the end of the day. Russia is the largest country in the world by land area and has long held nuclear weapons and maintained a large army so there is good reason to try deflate its aggression and tendency toward terrorism in as low key fashion as possible. I understand people being frustrated that there are not huge levels of NATO weapons publicly flowing into Ukraine to drive putin out but a glorious war against NATO is exactly what he has been looking for to cement himself into the history books as a great wartime leader. The faltering support that has been publicised means he can't even claim that it is the full efforts of NATO countries to support Ukriane that his forces are failing against. Although still costly in human life I think there may be an agreement behind the scenes that a long term draining of the resources of putin's terrorist state is the safest approach for Ukraine and the rest of Europe. More signs of unrest in putin's terrorist state reported today:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'd say the Bradley is the best vehicle of its type on the battlefield, in no small part because of the survivablility of the soldiers inside if its hit and it can be a tank killer too as it can carry TOW anti tank missiles etc.

Otherwise the western MBTs were hyped up too much , this isnt a tank on tank conflict and they failed in any kind of breakthrough role for various reasons

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Russia are counting on that.

How long will that take, 10, 20, 30 years? Longer?

Unless their army is killed or injured at a high enough number to prevent continuation, that's it.

Withdrawal comes only from the military price being too high.

Sanctions always weaken over time and Russia has a lot of allies, sympathisers in Africa and Asia. Not of the economic power of the modern West but significant and enough to keep them going.

If people want Ukraine to free their land then they must get everything they need. An awful lot of people are content to say Slava etc etc and leave it at that, talk of Russian casualties and their economy going down the swanee.

Russia are pushing now because the Ukrainian counter offensive failed, that is what you call it when you are roughly where you were before it started.

They might feel Ukraine might have to fall back but it also might be to push over the faltering Western support.

Ukraine will not take back the land without an awful lot more Western support.

The Kremlin now can reasonably hope that they will keep the land they have taken, they mightn't but they have a chance again.

That's down to Ukraine not getting enough support.

The West should be in it to win it.

Post edited by Danzy on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

"Unless their army is killed or injured at a high enough number to prevent continuation, that's it."

I don't think a blitzkrieg campaign by western supplied equipment is the only option open to Ukraine to end occupation of their country by putin. I'd argue that the numbers of putin's troops getting killed and injured is at a level that is unsustainable and now that Ukraine has developed its own long range strike capabilities there is going to be an additional weakening of the economy and morale in putin's empire so a withdrawal by putin from his recent conquests may come sooner than you would like as suggested by this article:

Still Europe is sending out dated equipment to help contain putin's terrorists and I would suspect an amount of what goes to Ukraine from EU and NATO countries is not reported. The support Afghan forces got to supply their fight against occupation by the USSR was never made that public as far as I can recall but was still effective at making staying there unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭zv2

I believe they drink everything they can get their hands on. Brains eaten alive with chemicals.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

IIRC the male mortality and alcoholism levels is insane in Russia, long before any Ukrainian war, the video doesn't surprise at all.

It's a great platform that along with the Saab cv90s are probably the best of the bunch in Ukraine, haven't seen too many reports of the tow missiles being used be interested to see how many they actually received

It's definitely not psyops, Ukraine is having issues I think overall all 2024 is going to be a very difficult year for them with supplies and ammunition types even zelensky himself said they are ok for about a month when it comes to air defences and other supplies, only yesterday they shotdown half of the latest drone attack and it was only a small amount of drones, but the days before they were boasting about a new tech that can take down Russian drone and how have thousands of these devices in service,but a few days later Russian drones come and yet get through the air defences and supposedly new electronic warfare systems,

Mean while accounts are desperate to downplay Russian gains or advances but 2024 will be difficult with tough decisions having to be made and I think the lines will likely look the same bar a few advances here and there as they are now,

When you hear a Former NATO commander and now president of the Czech republic say it's time to take off the rose tinted spectacles when it comes to this war it might be time to take note

Post edited by Gatling on

And that's the reality, Russia is swallowing itself, but that's not the way Putin sees it in the dream world he lives in, and while he's the boss that's the way it will be. Until saner heads prevail.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement