Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭Villa05

The INO were out during the week saying that availability of affordable accommodation was a serious barrier to recruitment of nurses at Kerry general hospital

Now how would he approach solving that. Would he apply controls on airbnb or look for more building and drive some business at his plant hire business

Maybe it was the start of the crazy stuff as the loose lending really ramped up after the dotcom bust

96 to 02 was a more genuine supply issue coupled with falling interest rates and mortgage terms more aligned to a 2 income household

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

Property tax should be far more than doubled. Its currently 0.1% for the vast majority of homes in the country, and that charged at very underestimated property values for the most people on top. In plenty of other countries (and US states) its 2-3% a year, twenty to thirty times higher.

The only coherent argument against it that I've ever heard is what about cash poor but asset rich people - ie say a retired couple in South Dublin. Which is fair on the face of it. But that can be easily adjusted for by letting people choose to not pay it yearly if they want, they can let it add up (with interest added, set at the inflation rate) as a lien against the property that must be paid whenever it eventually transfers ownership.

The value of all residential property in Ireland is approx €600bn at the moment apparently, so at 2% we'd be looking at say very roughly €12bn a year in additional revenue raised. Imagine using that to reduce PAYE on people actually working - it'd be a much fairer society. We could reduce the PAYE rates by 1/3rd across the board, over night. Or reduce VAT by 2/3rds. Or fund services more. So many options.

Plus all the other positive externalities of having people trade down to more appropriate property sizes, a reduction in overall property prices, reduced demand from foreign investors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@Villa05

The other noticeable change is the number of self builds over the last 3/4 years which now accounts for 25% of new supply. This shows us that there a large number of small operators that could be levaraged to provide multiple units in our towns and villages and provide competition for the large developers that seem to constantly have the current governments ear

Need to drill a bit deeper into that stat as it looks suspiciously like a shrinking pie rather than a bigger slice.

It appears my figure was too low as the number and proportion of one off houses is growing substantially

But the number of one-off houses rose significantly. The numbers in 2018, 2019 and 2020 were 5,481, 5,622 and 5,291 respectively.......

There were 7,499 last year and the indications are for a similar figure this year after 5,568 were given permission in the first nine months.

In 2018, 2019 and 2020 the proportion of houses that were one-offs was 27pc, 29pc and 30pc respectively

• Advertisement

With the government demonstrably useless if not malicious on housing I am hardly surprised people opt to take matters into their own hands. Guessing they also fly under the radar of the NIMBYs and BANANAs as it sounds like obtaining the planning permission was not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Jizique

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

3% a year for me would be about 3k. I would only want to see something like that happen is there were major cuts in VAT and income tax. Indeed, I am strong of the belief that tax in general should be kept nice and low, with major cuts in public spending to make up the different. How many civil servants could be let go and replaced by AI for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

WFH means that people may have built on family land in the country. Even if they decided in 2020/21 to do so we would only be seeing it today as the whole design and getting planning permission is a slow process. Who knows maybe because of the housing crisis planning permission is getting easier as it increases the no of houses built in the stats

one thing for sure is getting planning for one of houses in Ireland is normally anything but easy and requires years of jumping through hoops to get approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

You’re talking about civil servants and unions….do I wouldn’t be counting on change on the back of AI or any change in general unless country is bankrupt and IMF step in to cut spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And after that try to get a mortgage sorted. My son is doing a self build he is nearly 4 months trying to get a mortgage sorted. Hopefully in the next 10-14 days it will be sorted.

One thing forget about CU being of any use at present

Slava Ukrainii

The way I'm seeing this is if a small builder can churn out 2 one off homes a year. Could they build 4 terrace homes a year in a village or town, then leverage up with 2 small builder firms outputting 10 homes a year

One off homes are usually bigger than terrace homes and more inefficient to build. A switch to terraced or semi-d in central locations would result in greater profit for builder coupled with greater output for the consumer.

If successful it would be serious competition for the large developers so sitting on sites and land hoarding could be a more risky business. It might be time to get off the pot if your not going to do anything with it

Post edited by Villa05 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

1585e "cost rental" for a 2 bed in leixlip. jesus wept

A perspective article from RTE.

Recent headlines have brought attention to the record levels of mortgage drawdown from first time buyers, however under closer scrutiny, current mortgage drawdowns for home purchase are equivalent to 1988.

Were they to be reflective of 1988 population levels. Mortgage drawdowns for home purchase for 2023 should nearly be double the current figure. This is despite the mass emigration and scarcity of jobs in 88.

It really underlines how housing has done so much damage to the economy

To put the current level of mortgage lending into perspective, one must go all the way back to 1988," he points out.

"In that year, 36,939 mortgages were drawn down, according to data published at the time by the Department of the Environment. In 1988, there were approximately 3.5 million people living in Ireland. It was a time of severe economic hardship. Emigration was rife and jobs were scarce.........

In the context of a population that has surpassed 5 million, if mortgage lending was managing to stay abreast of 1988 levels, we should - at a minimum - be seeing at least 54,000 mortgage drawdowns in 2023, Mr Conway calculates

True. I guess we have the golden opportunity to reform the civil service 15 years ago, and it was squandered. Oh well....let's print more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Before I bought, I was renting a 2 bed in Clontarf for 1500, that was without any 'help' from the government. They've made an absolute mess of housing.

AI came up in the recent pay deal with the unions seeking assurances that new tech would not result in job losses.

In my opinion the unions missed a trick and should have asked the government to use AI to automate payroll in the public service.

The complexity would have crashed and killed AI in its infancy

Terminator 2 Irish style

I disagree and think the unions are rightly petrified of AI. The "no job losses" sounds exactly what the unions pushed for when the HSE was founded and being the era of open cheque book Ahern they got it. Right before the music stopped with property bubble revenue.

Getting off-topic though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think we should have council taxes like in the UK. The resident, person who is benefiting from the services pays the council tax.

I find now that im sale agreed that suddenly i am 100% against increasing property taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Property taxes drive down property prices also - as the recurring tax needs to be factored into cost of ownership. So that 3% tax costing 3k per annum very quickly drops to 3% tax costing 2k per annum as the property value has dropped instead.

Which is a good thing except for those who end up in negative equity - for everyone else it's a positive. And the fall in prices would not be uniform, more expensive houses would see larger drops which is good news for mover-uppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

the unions are right to be concerned about AI, google and other tech companies have already started to let thousands of very skilled contractors go

interesting to see france's experience of rising mortgage interest rates:

Hundreds of estate agents close in France as property sales plummet

Last year saw a record low in house sales and 2024 may not be much better, experts say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Blut2

It also massively discourages leaving properties vacant. Its easy enough to not really mentally mind foregoing potential rent, that money is kind of theoretical. But people think twice about keeping a property empty if its costing them a yearly bill of €10-20k out of pocket to do so.

Its got a huge number of positives, particularly in a country with a chronic under supply of housing like ours. It really should be a no brainer to bring in, if we had any sort of honest, non-populist, political parties.

I don't like the idea of paying tax on what I own. Then again, it's probably no less ethically questionable than paying tax on what I earn, which is a far, far greater amount.

Between VAT, income tax, property tax and everything else, I once worked out that I'm paying the state about 40-50k a year in taxes. I use very few services, draw no welfare and have no illusion whatsoever that the state will give me a pension. Makes one wonder...

I suspect the no.1 reason people are against property taxes is they have absolutely no faith in corresponding reduction in other taxation materialising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

One of the great cons sold by the Irish government.

Since the beginning of 2020:

Inflation - c20%

Increase in standard rate cut off point - 18%

Increase in typical tax credits - c12%

Increase in point 52% marginal tax kicks in - 0%

Real effective tax rates have been increasing, but the Irish government get away with giving less than the indexation of limits (which should be standard) as a ‘tax cut’ when in fact they have been stealth increases.

I don't know what the effect would be, but the pay deal will be inflationary. If the state wanted to help with inflation, the best way to do it would be to reduce the amount of money in circulation. Cutting civil service pay across the board, or letting superfluous staff go would help in that regard. It will never happen, of course. However, giving out pay rises to hundreds of thousands of people after printing 50+ billion in funny-money is, in my opinion, beyond incompetent. It's criminal.

• Advertisement

I worked out a while ago that if went on the dole today that i have already paid enough in taxes to pay me the dole for the rest of my life. I thought that was kid of funny, but sure once you are a tax slave you are there to be milked. Get my teeth cleaned every year on it though, so there is that.

Advertisement