Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Tough, the price of doing business.

Never heard of the producer pays policy??

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And when the packaging line manufacturers respond with "no, we're not doing that?", what do you do then?

So then you've created a situation where no manufacturers can actually can anything, because you've banned the canning lines because they won't take part in the significant technical effort required to push an off the wall idea purely so heavily damaged cans can be refunded

Yeah, I thought the bin companies app was the worst idea on this thread, but this has done a moonshot beyond that in terrible ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This can all be traced back to one man - https://www.greenparty.ie/people/ossian-smyth

He should resign IMHO and that of many others.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure this has been said to you specifically countless times already, but let's do it again

A return system was going to be brought in here around now regardless of what government was in office. Nearly every country in the EU, plus the UK, are bringing them in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This is the first can I found when I looked in my recycling bin just now, with a near unique code printed on the underside. It is absolutely not an off the wall idea that this concept could be applied to a machine readable code.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Ha Ha Coke zero and a code there also. Multipack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

yeah thats the expiry code and underneath could be the shipment batch number and time of batch. i had looked into this just shortly before the covid came as i was getting into vending machines and considering buying a few at the time, quite glad i did'nt now as it dodged a bullet.

But from research into vending, yes the expiry date is meant to be displayed at the bottom of cans, and its always important to check there for freshness/expiry. And if there needs to be an urgent recalling of some cans, that batch number thingy is very helpful in indentifying how far and wide the problem is, or to narrow things down, as well as other safety reasons. Some dodgy vending machine owners can deliberatly leave gone off stock inside their machine, so its important that a person looks under it before opening it and drinking.

i like the idea of barcode being placed under a can. theres a couple of can designs out there with flat bottoms (inb4 anyone makes a sex joke about it), and with a flat bottom can it without be easier to print a barcode under. Inner-Curved surfaces can be problematic when it comes to machine detection. Outer curved surfaces such as the side of the can/bottle is easier for scanners to detect. if they make cans with flat bottoms it would be a nice thing to see implemented with barcodes.

Also you have a nice hand btw lol XD thanks for the picture

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭con747

Every can I have has something printed on it right up to the very lip of the top and printing of B/B dates and other codes on the underside of the base so I don't agree that they can't print on those sections as shown a couple of posts above.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

that sounds like the Re-Turn cans in a nutshell

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

You reckon they are setup to fail? The goal is 90% collection.

More returns = more packaging to sell

The return cans is an additional logo and new barcode.

What the other poster is suggesting is completely redesigning the canning system. It's a bonkers suggestion.

So the system caters for the 97% (or 90%+)? You also think the system wj work. That seems like a reasonably designed system to me.

I understand your annoyances. The system is inconvenient and pushes the work onto the consumer. I'd prefer to be able to throw my stuff in the green bin as i already do and for it to be recycled properly. This system doesn't inconvenience me greatly and nor will it for the majority.

Printing a human readable date is wildly different from printing a machine readable barcode.

Yes but the point still remains, the scheme was meant to come out in jan 1st 2023 and what happened was the same as what the other person posted, they said no. So now the other manufacturerees legally had to get on board due to irish legislation since or risk not being able to sell any cans/bottles in this country. It's basically the Re-Turn scheme in a nutshell.

Person A said: Of course, we can’t inconvenience a few manufacturers, better to inconvenience the entire nation.

Person B said: "please redesign every single part of your packaging system to accommodate a non-standard thing that only one small country is going to do" is a bit more than an inconvenience.

Person A said: Tough, the price of doing business. Never heard of the producer pays policy??

Person B said: when the packaging line manufacturers respond with "no, we're not doing that?", what do you do then?

person A said: ban their products.

That is what i'm saying is re-turn in a nutshell. Return now have irish law backing them, and came back, with back up! their intial attempt to launch was jan 1st 2023, and possibly earlier, i heard talks of august-september 2022 being mentioned but i don't know if any of that is true or not

That's human readable. A machine would not be able to read a barcode off that surface.

Getting a matted off surface on to which a reliably read barcode - and Irish barcodes are Very Long - is an entirely different proposition.

Schemes get delayed all the time. I don't get your obsession with tbag date.

One requires an additional logo and new barcode. That's straightforward for producers and costs relatively little.

Redesigning the wrapping and printing process would cost millions all for Ireland exclusively. You would likely require a brand new can to be designed. It's a crazy suggestion. Putting a barcode on the base is possible but it isn't feasible. I really don't get how you and others don't get that. You simply wouldn't be able to buy cans in Ireland anymore, that's how prohibitively expensive it would be.

• Advertisement

Not entirely bonkers, it has potential. it just needs some more looking into. But even if doable its less than likely, due to it cutting into the deposit refund money and allowing crushed damaged cans. They want their own machines doing the crushing, and want to call the shots and do it all on their own terms. All what they want. They don't care about the people, they just want the quick easy fast recyclables for EU stats numbers at the end of the day. They would reach their goal alot quicker if they allowed damaged cans. its not just about recycled units but also about money.

here's a puzzle. how do they honestly expect to reach 90% recycled, when/if more than 1 out of every 10 cans is damaged? is there an answer to this? can anyone honestly solve this question? Them refusing to accept damaged cans makes this alot harder to answer.

Well I would have thought with a machine and the technology within it it would be far more efficient at reading a barcode printed somewhere than a human. To me it's just a reason to not accept damaged cans or bottles by printing it in the most vulnerable spot on them but that's just my opinion I suppose.

It doesn't have potential.

Source, I'm a qualified mechanical and electronic engineer with several years experience in manufacturing. My experience mainly on the electronic side. It's a non-runner.

How often have you had something that's quite hard to read at a self checkout but you can still read the numbers below the barcode fine yourself?

Happens lots to me. Barcode readers need very accurately printed, not bent on the horizontal axis, barcodes to read. That's the side of bottles/cans not the base. And the remaining flat(ish) space on the top is tiny and would not be able to take a barcode.

You might also notice that discounters put the tallest barcodes in the world on products to improve read accuracy and reduce time taken at tills; particularly when the barcode could get damaged/bent like on toilet roll packages or freezer items where the cardboard gets a bit fecked up

Facts outweigh opinions.

The absolute minimum size of an Irish barcode that is in spec is 1.2" by 0.5" - American specs hence the inches. That 3cm x 1.3cm; and that needs to be flat horizontally

Anything else is not a valid barcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I just identified a couple of areas that definitely haven't been thought through. There are many more, many of which have been brought up here already.

I don't know why you are so 'pro' this scheme and seemingly blind to the 'flaws' or whatever you want to call them

There's a whole cohort of people this inconveniences by varying degrees and rather worryingly a significant cohort of people who are in a far worse financial and environment sustainability situation than they were prior to this scheme being introduced with an acknowledgment that this scheme doesn't lead to a reduction in the use of plastics, the opposite in fact. Reducing should be the number one priority of anything like this.

I'm pro the scheme because it's the only scheme that exists that has demonstrated capability of meeting the target objectives. I can see why they've made the decisions they have for most things.

I personally think the takeback allowance is too generous and smaller shops with a certain level of turnover should be mandated to have them.

I don't think I've dismissed or disagreed with your grievances. They are valid. I think they have been thought about with the conclusion of "tough".

I think other people on the thread are trying to manufacture or overblow inconveniences. This scheme will be a minor/mild inconvenience for 90% of people in the country. That's acceptable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats the end of the grey imports of alcohol in cans anyway eg Heineken 3.8% from UK.

It's not proper beer anyway 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And the latest comment I have read is the prospect of people roaming the streets at night before bin collection in supposedly affluent areas on the basis that the recycling bins will be full of refundable items. Not sure it will be that likely but such a prospect for even more litter if it happens.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement