Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i have no obsession with the date, i'm was merely pointing it out just to answer your question. it was the re-turn scheme in a nutshell, and proof of it. Which was denied. The whole "they're not going to do X thing" (x thing being manufactures initially saying no to redesigning their cans or being bulled into registering with the new re-turn scheme) their hands are tied now that the return bullies came back with back up (law). its like the gangsters/extortionists coming back a year later with back up and muscle behind them. They (manufactorers) had no choice but to comply, or risk losing doing businuess with ireland.

return scheme in a nutshell. other posts mentioned the same scenerio, but applying it to redeisgn of cans. was ironic because it was what return already did/had happened in a nutshell.

Also as for the rest of your post, it can be feasible but is against their own best interests and less profitable for them. its clear now that they would rather inconvenience the consumers for more profit, because why not? business is business. They're not gonna give control of the scheme or any of its planning up to the public. We are not in their best interests. Return is ireland exclusively and would not need a new can to be designed at all. There's ways around this, but they simply do not care. it does not have to cost millions, that would be a gross exaggeration and an assumption. Designs don't cost much at all, designs are technical art figured out in a practical and cost-effective way. Your only argument in that case can be "oh but they already made loads of cans with the old design", and that is already what we are experiancing with the non-logo non scheme eligable cans currently out on the shelves. No one lost money making them, and if anyone did it definately would not be ireland losing the money like you said, it would be the manufacturuer, but they didnt.. if a manufactoeror cotninues to make non-return label cans and insists on attempting to cotninue selling in this country, THEN they (the company) would lose out on money.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think you are likely to get people of a certain level of selfishness will deliberately damage the cans they discard so they can't be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The importer can register the foreign barcode and pay the fees. Might not want to draw attention to themselves in some cases!

There's a spreadsheet here of ~2400 foreign barcodes registered by the 11th of January. Looked up a few and they're coming up as what you'd expect - M&S own-brand, Robinsons cordials, Moldovan canned beer etc.

That is why i suggested using cans with "flat bottoms". i've said this atleast 3 times already!

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't think you understand the cost associated with doing it. It's prohibitively expensive. You simply wouldn't be able to buy a can anymore.

See L1011’s post on the regulations as well.

A barcode on the bottom also achieves nothing. They would still require shap recognition for fraud otherwise people would get scrap metal of the right weight and slap a barcode on it.

Its a suggestion thats impractical and achieves nothing.

I was happy to take your point on vouchers earlier. I know what im talking about on this one, its a non-runner.

• Advertisement

if thats the case about cost, then you are implying that the costs will be put onto the consumer which is wrong.

A redesign of a bottle or can does'nt make it more expensive. How many times have the likes of fanta bottles been redesigned with no price increase due to the design? countless times. i was just looking at one today, and they came a long way.

Also what about the soda can designs for coke and fanta and the other usual suspects in general being changed to be more american like? that didn'nt change their price either. The taller but slimmer looking cans. the only price increases i see these days are down to inflation, greedy shops wanting more profit and upping prices, and then this new deposit scheme adding the deposit to cans.

(NOTE: i intentionally left out sugar tax as that is a tax on the content in the can itself rather than a price increase because of the can, obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭con747

I commented previously about the machines being located inside stores, can anyone give a logical explanation for this because it stops people from going to them when shops are closed. Most if not all other recycling areas for other stuff are located outside stores so why have these locked away after business hours?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

okay, if "This scheme will be a minor/mild inconvenience for 90% of people in the country."

Then i would like to know HOW do they intend on reaching a target goal of 90% recycled, if 90% of people in the country are being inconvenienced?

is this assuming that this same 90% will give in and play ball due to deposits being held ransom if they dont?

IS THIS Re-Turn inconveniencing people intentionally, in order to reach the goal?

How would you get the vinyl wrap on it in a consistent crease proof way?

You've to design new technology for what others are suggesting. Redesigning a new coke or fanta can as we have seen requires no new technology.

You have an opinion but that's all you have. I have experience working in manufacturing and designing such systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Near me the SuperValu and Aldi stores both have them outside, the Dunnes and Tesco inside. I get the impression those outside will not operate outside opening hours as they have roller shutters on them currently awaiting scheme kick off on Thursday.

• Advertisement

My local Aldi have them outside. It's the stores decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Some are, some aren't. I guess the shops are thinking about people spending the refund voucher in their store while open. It could be awkward for some stores if they are in a shopping centre to use outside space which they may not have rights to. The RVM is for that store only.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

When you say vinal wrap, are you saying the barcode MUST be on the wrap itself with all the other stuff? surely the barcode can be just printed or stamped underneath instead of being put on a vinal wrap. infact why not turn the barcode into a QR code, that way it can be smaller and placed virtually anywhere on the can. can it? if not, they can find some way to put the barcode on the base of cans. maybe have the barcodes made and placed BEFORE the can vinal itself, and the base attached last. would obviously require some modifications, but if other companies can make flat based cans, why not these too? the design already exists and is made, and is'nt copywrited. all the have to do is use that design and put the barcodes underneath. it cant be that hard for them to figure out.

"They would still require shap recognition for fraud otherwise people would get scrap metal of the right weight and slap a barcode on it" there's no fraud or loss there then, because re-turn sell the metal anyway. infact return may even make a profit if people tried that, aslong as the metal inserted is aluminum. There could be something to detect that metal where the machine rejects non-aluminum metal. even something as simple as a magnet test. who knows.

But then again the whole "They would still require shap recognition for fraud otherwise people would get scrap metal of the right weight and slap a barcode on it" thing is still doable with bottles, all it requires is removing the label off of a damaged bottle and putting it over a bottle that was not purchased intially with a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes, somebody above was able to explain it without resorting to offence

I'd suggest you try not to crush your bag while on the bus or train, not difficult for the best majority of people, or perhaps to walk to the shop on your way back but I'm sure you'll have some frivolous reason you can't do that as well

I'm not explaining it to you anymore.

Let's say they can put the barcode on the base, what would that achieve? What are you arguing for?

it could be the same reason some post offices are in stores/supermarkets. Entice you to spend there, or see free advertisements (shelves) as you're walking through to get there. So you're forced to see some.

Or it could be to counter fraud reasons and anyone looking to mess about with the machine, to give the illusion of security and being watched essentially

The scheme starts on Thursday with the new labelled cans/bottles, wondering will there be short supply of cans on Wednesday as some suppliers will run out of the "old" cans that day and won't be able to sell the "new" ones until the following day

That really depends on what else is in the bag, and bag material, and LUCK also. imagine coming home at night with a bag of empty cans, then the bus becomes crowded and someone falls against you. OOPS SORRY *cans proceed to get crushed* you just made me lose like 60 cent or a euro or something banging into me, other person says "oh im sorry, did i knock money out of your hand?" no you crushed my cans, other person will just laugh at this point.

its really unreaosnable and silly to suggest someone to carry around empty cans in their school bag. just for the sake of this scheme. instead of admitting the lack of feasibility and unlikelyness. its not a battle worth fighting to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hmm, is there some sort of hack here... would they fit into an empty tube, something a little bigger than a pringles one? Keep an eye out, you might come across something light that will fit a can and protect it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

it would achieve more units recycled, getting them closer to that 90% goal. its a shame and a waste to throw away a can simply because the machine does'nt recognise it. a pitty. damaged cans deserve a chance at being recycled too, and counted towards this scheme.

its dishonest, statistics wise, if someone buys a can, it gets damaged, then the stats/numbers rule it out as 1 less deposit collected when its no longer an option for a deposit to be collected if the can is damaged.

it also answers the riddle i left for you earlier which still remains unanswered. the thing asking you about how do they expect a 90% recycling rate if more than 1 in every 10 cans become damaged and deemed unacceptable/rejected by the machine?. this conundrum would be solved if they accepted barcodes on the base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I dunno folks, there's zero onus on the producers to come up with a more sustainable way of packaging drinks or indeed for increasing the sustainability of the supply chain in general.

This scheme won't do anything for the environment on a general scale and net carbon used versus current situation from a consumer perspective is increasing greatly. All well see over the years based on this scheme is another cost to the consumer than can creep up every few years to do x y or z with no overall reduction of change in packaging.

Essentially let's our local authorities and the producers off the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Surely the concave base is intrinsic to retaining pressure in can and a level base. A flat base would most likely bulge out ?

Post edited by Kaisr Sose on

How would it achieve more cans in the machine? it still requires shape recognition. That requirement wouldnt be removed.

The 1 in 10 is something you've made up, it's not a stat.

i explained the "re-turn in a nutshell" thing to you in the post this post, that your post was replying to. it was an ironic pointing out of what ahd happened with return and the manufacturers that they could not get on board initially. They basically gave them the 2 fingers, simular to how a corner shop would give some kid demanding extorting money from them, the same 2 fingers. This is jan 1st 2023 delay in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's what interesting. But what of the non presence of logo?

Can't see UK Heineken cans getting added as surely Heineken Ireland don't agree / are not involved with the grey imports?

I was always hoping more Austrian beers would emerge here in cans (Gosser, Zipper, Kaiser) but unlikely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If the machine rejects a dented can would the store do the same inhouse.?

I know Coke Zero cans are much thinner and can dent easily.

i did'nt make the 1 in 10 thing up, you said 90% of people will inconvenienced, 1 in 10 is the same thing as 90%.

also the goal of 90% i did not make up either, that is from their own website, and the news paper articles that had been posted.

i was pointing out that the goal is realistically unreachable unless the 90% incovnienced people all jump on board, and also hoping that no more than 1 out of every 10 cans they can is damaged. Because if it is, there's no 90% possiblity of reaching 90%.

"How would it achieve more cans in the machine? it still requires shape recognition. That requirement wouldnt be removed."

The whole point ^ that is being suggested (barcodes on bottom) is so crushed cans can be inserted and damaged would'nt matter. Thats the whole point it was even brought up in this thread. Because the base of the can is the stronger and less able to be damaged part of the can.

EDIT: it would achieve more cans, because damaged cans + non damaged cans

Never happened to me anytime on public transport but yes the odd time you might be unlucky, perhaps the original poster could stop in at the shop on the way to the train/bus and grab the voucher then. Probably some superficial reason it can't happen for that poster I'm sure but for the majority it shouldn't be an issue I'd imagine

Also I see you're new to boards so welcome to the family 👍

most likely, but it depends on what methods the inhouse are willing to do. if you mean the indoor machine then yes, it will reject it. but if you mean the manual collection of cans over the counter, they may still accept them if it requires scanning only and is visible. or a quick head count. if it requires examining the cans and they fail a visual inspection then no they wont accept it either. We still have very little to no info on how over the counter can scheme is made to function, or if its still even a thing

• Advertisement

some, it depends. but this can be fixed with a different design. They just choose not to, as with the current dent its less drink inside and more air that makes it weight a certain net-weight. There's still 330ml inside the can thought. it could be down to the change in gas used to pressurize the can. Buisnuesses always opt for cheaper, unless making something luxury like those other fancy fizzy drinks in cans with a flat base

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement