Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Preferably he'd be two years older than me but I'd probably go 8 years older 5 years younger than me.

I was talking to a friend recently, she's nearing 50 and she said that when she went with younger guys she found herself more worried insecure that she was with older men. Another girl I know is about 3 years older than her guy and for a long time , he played up on that which 3 years is nothing but he acted like a manchild.

Though Ive always thought, well you know when someone is around 20, they are either mature or not. They have certain things ingrained in their personality. I've seen 40/50 years go on like eegits and some 20 year olds be more mature than them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The Psychologist I linked was on a podcast and had an interesting bit on a woman who appeared to want a man with resources such as money or a career.

To women, it wasn't about money or career as such it was about competencies, in other words, a career, and a together sorted-out lifestyle indicated adult behavior and the man wasn't a flake who was all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

The "be whole" thing you referenced has always been more of a coping strategy than an actual life choice. In my experience.

I've embraced it because it works for me. Most of the time. You wouldn't be human if you didn't give in to the scaries now and then. Do I actually want to be happy alone? Feck no. I want someone to share it all with.

We should probably normalise saying this rather than pretending we're "at one with ourselves and enjoying single life" when the reality is we're lacking something we want - but we'll still be grand like. The benefits of singledom may not always outweigh the negatives. But they're still there to be enjoyed when they happen. (Double bed all to myself is priceless)

There is absolutely no reason why you wouldn't meet someone who will give you the support your looking for, but I hear you saying the thought of weeding that person out from all rhe noise is exhausting.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

You just have to weed out the bad and non compatible but it takes time. Once you get good at it, it saves you a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭YellowLead

This is very true. Experience, like with anything in life, improves outcomes. The outcome of a relationship is not guaranteed but the outcome of being able to spot the shitties and incompatibles much faster is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Wouldn't write her off, I know women who would do the "I'll set you up thing" when they're interested themselves but just don't think they've a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

I think she just means she wants the guy to take the lead but without being extremely dominating. So like working as a team but maybe with him leading a bit more than her. Which is fair, lots of women are looking for that, and it's something I think is quite lacking these days in men - more so because of how society has become dismissive of masculinity. We're not allowing men to be men and it's causing a lot of unhappiness; I see it in both single men and those in relationships.

I totally get that, what I was confused about was that she was saying men wanted women to be leaders, I still am confused on that score but I’m okay with that 😁

Post edited by YellowLead on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭pgj2015

She is only in Ireland once every 6 months or so. pity but I wouldn't be surprised if we hook up at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Bobby_Bolivia

Date with R didn't feel any spark, sadly.

N meanwhile, I messaged around midday (not something that required an immediate response) and didn't get a response for the whole day. No biggie, our text pattern is on and off anyway, both of us might send a text and then a response goes the other way a few hours later.

But she messaged then a little while ago to say she didn't get a notification I messaged as she must have been on her phone when I messaged. That's surely a blatant lie, right?

It's actually quite annoyed me and I'm tempted to call it there. Unless ye think it's plausible? To be clear, it's not the delayed response that's annoyed me, it's the lie. And even if you didn't get a notification, if you were interested in someone wouldn't you check your phone in 10 hours to see if they messaged? Am I being really impulsive here? Obviously she doesn't owe me anything at this early stage.

I don’t understand why a notifications wouldn’t have gone through - but it seems a very odd thing to lie about, like why would you bother???

You might as well meet her Thursday if that is arranged and see how things are in person. Personally I like regular texting but it’s not everybody’s bag.

I guess she felt bad about leaving it so long and panicked?

Again I really don't care if she didn't reply till tomorrow but it's just the oddity of what she said.

Even if you didn't get a notification, surely you checked whatsapp at some point during the day. It's just like almost insulting to my intelligence to say that and expect me to believe it.

Like I can't think of a single legitimate way what she said could be the truth. We don't have something fully concrete arranged for Thurs yet. I'm not sure now.

I guess wait and see if she initiates messages and makes it seem like she’s looking forward to Thursday. If you leave things and get no further messages then you have your answer. As somebody else said she could be multi dating just like you are so it’s best not to get invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

I've had this before, and wondered a few times what was going on, until I figured it out - if you have an app open, and you receive a message in that app, no notification is generated.

So let's say you've WhatsApp open, and you're reading or typing a message to me, and YL seems you a WhatsApp message, there will be no notification message or sound to alert you to the message from YL Within the app, you will see that you have an unread message, but there won't be any notification.

That's my experience with WhatsApp and Gmail, (maybe Outlook too - I can't remember offhand) on Android.

I'd be very surprised if Thurs went ahead. The lack of communication suggests she's not really interested. I wouldn't pursue any further unless she initiates first as YL mentioned.

Have to agree with this. Android user here too. App notifications are flaky little mofos.

But that said. If I'm chatting with a fella there's a good chance I'm checking my phone every now and then.

Just carry on as you have been and see how it pans out. It'll fall apart very quickly if she's not interested or has someone else in her sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You can change the notifications in the app settings.

It might not make a noise but wouldn’t there still be a red mark on the outside of the chat to indicate message received? So surely you’d see every time you opened whattsap. But maybe not if maybe she’s somebody who doesn’t use her phone much..

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Goodigal

Guy I'm seeing doesn't get notifications that I've messaged him sometimes. But he's seldom on his phone because of work. But he'd apologise that he didn't see the message.

I wouldn't assume she's lying 🤷‍♀️

• Advertisement

Comms before Date 1 were very irregular too on both ends. But we did meet and get on (for nearly 3 hours). Usually at the end of a date I'll say I'll message you later (which I did this time, after our kiss). So I don't typically hear from the girl until I message to say yay or nay on seeing each other again. But she messaged me within half an hour to tell me what a great time she had, and then we chatted a small bit more that night, she'd love to see me again etc.

Now I guess in my head I was under the impression that the date would change the pattern a bit, but when I asked her out for Sunday (yesterday) she said she couldn't but suggested Thursday as an alternative. No big deal, I only asked Friday night, was possible she was busy. Just not ideal for momentum.

Honestly, I was fine with everything up until what I thought was an obvious lie. Which it turns out might not have been one, or might have. But the alternative is she wasn't that pushed about checking to see if I actually had messaged for nearly the whole day, which before we met was fine but after isn't ideal, and which does let me know where I stand with her ultimately.

Three hours doesn’t sound like a date where things went amazingly - did one of you have to go to something else or was it just late? For me any dates I’ve had where I’ve been really into the person have always dragged on for at least 5.

It was my longest ever first date anyway. I never let them go on that long even if I'm really into the person.

That’s totally fair :) I just never notice the time when I’m really into somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Goodigal

Nah, he's just a bit laid back about his phone and messaging.

Im a little uncertain about mine now, we were supposed to have a third date at the weekend and he had to cancel due to being sick from Saturday. But I haven’t heard much from him since texting Saturday. Maybe I’m paranoid or maybe it’s swipe time again v soon 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I bet this one will be at the arse spanking event. :)

• Advertisement

Gym=Big ass

A big ass is not fkn attractive. I'm putting that in my bio.

Advertisement