Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who defines what a crazy price is?

Vast majority of people buying houses are more than happy with what they are paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Capitalising on the get Bannon crew. It’s the Indo, it hasn’t been a newspaper for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

What I mean by everyday living is Dermot seems to design houses for the stage the couple/family are at now and doesn't think of the future and sometimes thinks everyone is like him.

For example-Open plan living is great for when kids are small but when kids become older you need another living area which Dermot sometimes forgets. I've seen Dermot put master bedrooms downstairs while the small kids are meant to sleep upstairs - doesn't really work practically. Dermot also ignores areas like utility rooms because he deems them boring but really a good size utility is essential to keeping a house tidy and organised. He puts steps in etc when they are not really needed which makes a house difficult for older people (everyone will be old some day). His kitchens are often pokey and impractical because he doesn't enjoy cooking himself. These are some of the things that people could find impractical long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Deeec

I remember a grand design revisit to a house that was meant to be an eco house. The couple were honest and said some of the eco decisions they made didn't work out great. I also found the grand design revisits showed houses that were no longer pristine which we can all relate to. The difference is though Kevin isn't the architect that designed the builds where Dermot is. Dermot would never want anyone to dis his builds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yeh, that was my point.

I can't see a programme like that happening on RTE unless they fall out with Bannon and even then would they want to be seen trying to wreck someone's business and livelihood. Fraught with litigation possibilities too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It will be difficult to please this one😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doubt money will be an issue for these folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

On the intro Dermot looks like he is completely baffled as why someone might possibly own a house that they don't want to immediately sell.

Given the recent Indo article about houses on the show selling for up to 5 times (yes that's FIVE TIMES) the owners originally bought them for that says a lot about why most people go on the show. It's a licence payer funded hour long estate agent video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭McGrath5

She definitely wears the trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Plenty of dosh

mother of god

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

€400k?

Dermot gets a stiffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

A good declutter here is what is needed more than anything.. I can imagine it will just as bad in 6 months no matter what Dermot does .. what she wants in that house seems unrealistic ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

400k for a renovation. FFS

She is a chief surgeon in the Mater for the last 10 years. She threw out a budget of 400k and almost immediately said the wish list is far more important than the budget.

I'd say we''ll be closer to a million than 400k. By the time this is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's more a rebuild than a renovation, keeping them close to family and community, so makes sense over moving away.

This is off the wall stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

€400k budget.

€600k projected cost.

This is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

600k for a renovation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

600k and its only b2. i would expect a2 minium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,937 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i get the impression a lot of people just hate-watch this show 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Danny healy ray

fair play to her she works hard for her dollars

600k budget already.

But she didn't bat an eyelid when he first mentioned €719k. I'd say when Dermot went back to the car after pitching them the 600k build he cried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This is what rebuilds/renovations cost these days folks.

Eye-watering numbers, but it is what is is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

They'll spend 600k on skips if that's hpw they load them.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Sell the house , add it to your 600k and buy a million euro house in a nicer area would be what I’d do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wonder what yer man works at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Crazy, crazy money .. I know they probably have a few bob but it’s probably going to end up close to 700,000 😮 on a renovation .. surely a bigger more suitable house could be purchased in the area .

sell house for 500,000 and put another 500,000 from budget and buy yourself a million pound house near buy ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Don't sweat the small stuff, just throw another few 50 euro notes in the stove if it's a bit chilly.

Advertisement