Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yes. It's that straight forward.

It doesn't even have to be THIS system. They've not even tried anything else that could enhance the existing system. Just pushed all the costs and responsibilities to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

Well if I decide to put my cans and bottles in my domestic green bin I will, as I have always, crush them to reduce the space required to store them. If you consider me a person with a certain level of selfishness (however that can be objectively measured) I can live with that

Most bring centres operate office hours only so no different really. Also a selling point by advocates is that items are returned when going shopping so as to avoid the need for additional journeys

Just confirming again that the scheme only has to achieve a 90% return rate for bottles? If so cans are icing on the cake for ReTurn and the less returned the better as they keep the deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We don't know if it's reaching any target. The only measure I can see is the visible one that some cans and bottles appear as litter.

So this scheme may or may not address the litter problem. If much the same amount of litter is apparent after, the scheme will be a failure as all it'll have achieved is pissing off genuine recycling citizens. And no, kids or the homeless are not going to go around picking up damaged cans and bottles. In fact they'll very likely not be arsed even picking ones that can go through the machines as they've too much money now anyway, either from parents or as handouts.

My generation would have collected the old Bulmers bottles at beaches etc., but our children wouldn't have been bothered, never mind the ones going now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭con747

I think most bottle banks and clothes banks are outside and accessible after shops close. What has a bring centre got to do with anything.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i would improve it by allowing people to recycle ALL soda cans, including those that don't have a return label, as this would greatly help reach those goals quicker.

There was 8 more ideas mentioned here how to improve the scheme too, to reach the target goals. But its mostly falling on deaf ears. Some idea's included allowing crushed/damaged cans to be eligable into the scheme by printing the barcodes at the bottom of them. (since bottom is nearly indestructible by human error), and there was also another idea about having another mini-bin thingy next to the rvm's that give people 5 cent for their damaged/rejected/non return labeled soda cans.

The scheme itself is just inherently greedy and selfish by nature, and only in the best interests of meeting their target goal through their own means, and with themselves calling all the shots, and with someone else always stuck footing the bill.

The 2 best ways is by making this a rewards based incentive instead of a punishment based one. and by not being fussy on what cans go into the machine. But they refuse to give up that control. They can reach their target x5 times faster if they wish, but its more about dragging it out and moving the goal posts, keeping them hard to reach, and making profit off of the deposits, and selling the recycleables, than anything else.

in the link posted 2 or 3 pages back, they even admitted to selling the recycleables and called it another stream of revenue.

They want a slice of the bin men's money, from their recycleables. and they only want the good quick fast cash easy money reccyleables. and they want the consumers doing all the footwork for them, free! they expect free help.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

exactly, there are other ways they have not even looked at and are deliberately refusing to. it's really scummy what they've done tbh

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

He is the minister responsible and he's a Green minister.

The only party I ever joined and canvassed for was the Green Party back in the 1990s. The people I knew then would have been in favour of recycling but taken a dim view of this duplication of a scheme - the emphasis was on making do with less, reduce. The modern Greens are all about tech, Green Tech is their new religion, you hear Ryan on about it often - how Ireland can be a leader in Green Tech. He's a proper industrialist.

It a convenient place to go to recycle a whole range of items, including cans and bottles, etc, etc.

• Advertisement

Well said. That is the best summation of the issues here for some time and with real solutions.

Fire yer man Ciaran Foley and give you the gig I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And it would have been another minister from another party had there been any other shade of Government in place, as this was going ahead regardless.

This is 40+ year old tech, not some modern "Green Tech" thing.

Do they have the return system to get your deposits back though? I don't think so.

How dare you damage the cans! POLICE! GARDI! ARREST HIM! i'm gonna tweet about this and get you canceled! and make a blog post about it or share it with facebook or instagrahm and have a bunch of selfies with ur crushed cans or do some silly little tiktok dance protest.

But no, in all seriousness with joking aside. You're own rubbish is yours to do whatever you like with. Aslong as you're not breaking the law throwing it in places it does'nt belong, or burning it. you're good to go. you're property to do whatever you want with and no one elses businuess. even throw into the black bin if you like, does'nt bother me lmao.

if a person insults you because of how you sort out your rubbish, it says alot more about them than you. They're lucky enough you're even recycling to begin with! recycling is a voluntary based activity thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well of course we can't give a 100% guarantee because life doesn't come with such certainty.

But we are introducing a system that works in other countries which is proven to deliver.

Again, apart from scepticism, what is your plan ?

yeah because there's no deposits on them to begin with, there's nothing to "get back".

This new scheme makes you pay an extra fee upfront. when you get it back you don't profit, its just them giving you you're own extra money that you paid, back. At best (hoping none of your cans are damaged or rejected from the machine) you break even.

I know that, my point to the other poster was about there being bottle banks and clothes banks outside shops so why couldn't all the return machines be outside and they said "Most bring centres operate office hours only so no different really" which is no use to the new system bringing them to a bring centre because you lose your deposit.

But you realise that a government governs by consent? When you say 'this was going ahead regardless', that is totalitarianism and we don't like that, do we???

The public are quite free to co operate or not with this new scheme. In truth, for most it'll be a lot more convenient to just stick the things in the normal recycle bin rather than be arsed about a voucher for a few cents. And when that happens, the new system will be shown to be completely useless as a way of measuring returns. There'll be a lot of unhappy store owners as well, with expensive machines sitting there and demanding redress from the state.

the scheme infact inherently by design encourages more littering, due to the simple fact of the machine not accepting damaged cans. Meaning if a person who have normally thrown their litter away in the street is somehow pur-sway-did/enticed by the idea of getting money back from recycling the can, then once their can becomes damaged (if it does) the can so to speak has lost its barginning chip, and that person no longer has any reason to hold onto it any more. and out the car window it goes. Or kids on a street, if the can is damaged, on the street it gets left behind, or someones wall. The incentive to recycle it is lost once the can is damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,958 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tbvc

• Advertisement

What your predicting has not happened anywhere with such a system in place, and isn't going to happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,323 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I was more talking about people throwing cans on the road or in a park and giving them a good crushing to make sure no cash becomes of them.

I will be crushing any cans I'm using when out and about placing them in a recycling bin where provided but crushing them to make room for more, I will 100% not be bringing single purchase items back to a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In fairness if he/she does all the shopping in a small village that only has a corner shop that doesn't take returns, he/she won't miss the deposit

Interested to hear what village this is, maybe if more info were divulged on that front the boardies on here can help find the nearest take-back location.

You're new to boards so you probably don't understand how helpful the people on this site can be if they have the correct information

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"This was going ahead regardless."

Didn't you earlier in the thread tell people if they objected to the scheme they should have complained during the "consultation"?

Hard to reconcile those posts.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

Why on earth would they get involved in the remanufacturing process. That would be utterly stupid.

I think some people are so desperate to find fault that they come up with crazy ridiculous ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We discussed the location of machines before in the thread.

The thing about bottle banks and clothes banks is that they are low tech, basically big bins you put your stuff in.

The RVMs require a power connection and would be much more vulnerable to vandalism.

I think there would be scope to site RVMs at civic amenity sites where they would be supervised during working hours and securely locked away the rest of the time.

This would require a generic voucher which could be cashed or exchanged at any Return registered shop.

Yes. And there's no disconnect between the two statements at all.

The scheme was always going to happen, implementation and details were up for consultation and it appears that the vast bulk of people moaning now didn't partake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What other way would you suggest to bring our recycling rates up to the 90% level?

i feel like there's a misunderstanding, the villiage is not the same place they do their little bit of shopping to get what they need on their way to work. To prove this, they said about coming back from work and then having to get another bus to the villiage after already coming back from work. The corner shop on the way to work and the villiage look like 2 different places here in this, as one is on the way to work (keypoint "way") while the other/getting to the villiage involves not being on the way back, but rather after already having returned back home and getting another bus.

The convo is'nt about finding the nearest RVM/take back location for them (as the corner shop is required to provide that info anyway), the convo is about the inconvince it causes, and how it would require him/her to take an extra bus in order to do it.

• Advertisement

Possibly the reason, but with modern tech I doubt it! I doubt the generic voucher would work when supermarkets within the same chain won't honour another's voucher in the same chain though as I asked about earlier in the thread and it was confirmed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement