Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I doubt they were really up for consultation, at least not based on input from ordinary members of the public. I think if every poster here with objections to the scheme had submitted to the consultation, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference. And I doubt whether you really think so either.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm in full agreement with that view. I certainly will not be carting an empty can around with me on the street. I dont carry a man bag and certaintly wont be putting it into my pocket. It will get crushed and placed in the nearest public recycling bin. Of course maybe these may be removed in future to encourage people to head to a RVM but if that happens I'd be concerned more cans will end up in landfill. Time will tell how the 15 cent deposit will influence people's behaviour over time.

I remember, when the plastic bag levy was initially introduced, watching people scuttle around in the rain with disintegrating paper bags scattering contents all over the street. After this initial phase people quickly adapted to using bags for life to avoid this madness. Let's see how people adapt to this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen plenty of things changed based on the results of public consultation - last month Irish Rail introduced a new timetable which was fairly significantly different to that put up for consultation due to the volume of submissions. So yes, I do think that there may have been changes made if there'd been more submissions

But there weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

exactly, well said! after all its your rubbish and you are free to dispose of it any way you desire, within the confinds of the law of course. Even recycling itself is a voluntary practice and they're lucky enough you're doing that.

but low key on a side note i wanna ask you about this fictional scenerio, if a person (not saying who) happened to live nearby you, and offered to buy your cans and bottles off of you for 5 cent a piece undamaged, would you be willing to sell your discarded cans/bottles to them for 5cent a piece? atleast you'd be getting back something. even though very little

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is very different scenario with multiple interacting parts to the Return system than a timetable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

That doesn't prove that the consultation wasn't listened to.

If you didn't make a submission you really can't gripe about the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It would be difficult to overcome the shop specific voucher problem but ultimately it is doable.

The advantage of using civic amenity sites would be that people could drive up with their deposit stuff, glass bottles and other recyclables and get rid of it all at one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

So he/she takes a bus home after work and then another bus to the corner shop? Yeah it's not convenient for them you're dead right. Mind you this situation is probably representative of less than 1% of the population

when where these details and implementation up for consultation? some online forum or message board or something?

you're acting like people who have an issue with all this have no right to complain because of some secret hidden unknown consultation thing you keep mentioning.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

What's done in the Netherlands is you can return stuff en masse to their equivalent of civic amenity sites, and they EFT you the refund. Bypasses the voucher concept, avoids the sites handling cash - the one I use doesn't even take cash at the gate since the pandemic.

Councils would have to take on some cost in doing this as you wouldn't fund that from the manual return payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭con747

In fairness though a lot of the public and even some smaller retailers still don't even know this is happening! The advertising on the Irish channels on television only started around Christmas from what I noticed and a lot of people are in for a shock soon.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

That would be too sensible though and alleviate some issues certain people might have!

i know many who would have objected to this, alot of the people who already recycle at home would have rejected for starters. but then again would their rejection to this scheme have even made a difference?

i was'nt made aware of any of this, and im sure the majority of people commenting here was not aware of their ability to somehow object to this were either. it looks like it was all hush hush and going ahead anyway regardless, and some secret meeting in some obscure place that no one knew anything about, asides from people "in-the-know" who read every little detail and keep their ear to the ground, as clearly we and others were not made aware about this meeting crap at all. Also possible that the person suggesting this consultation period thing could be just trolling lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

To be completely honest about it, I was not aware that a public consultation was taking place. First I heard about this was around the time of the first post I made in this thread in December 23.

I'd think a lot on this thread would give you a similar story.

It was advertised at the time, which is how I was aware of it.

Basically, if you have Adblock, don't read dead tree media and don't consume domestic radio/TV you aren't going to hear of any of these things - and that would cover a lot of people. But how else are you going to be informed of something like it?

I have adblock; I use Freesat, I do have Saorview but only go over for specific things so I don't see Irish TV ads; but I do listen to radio and get some limited amount of dead tree papers. It was presumably a paper or radio ad I heard about it on.

exactly, i was'nt made aware of this either. but in fairness i don't even watch tv lol.

i was made aware about covid despite not watching tv or radio at the time, i was also made aware of other irish/non global/non world wide events, but never made aware of the consultation phase of this scheme. this could have been intentional

i know many who would have objected to this, alot of the people who already recycle at home would have rejected for starters. but then again would their rejection to this scheme have even made a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,958 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is there any limit to the returns, can one return 100, 1000, 10000 items?

the limit would be how much space is left in the machines

It could be introduced as an add on without disrupting the system that is starting on Thursday.

It would be complementing both it and the current way people recycle at the same time.

What would it cost to send a leaflet to every household and business, would that not be more beneficial to the general public before they just realise on whatever day next month they just have to live with another random forced upon them government initiative. At least some might have read it and known where to object if they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,958 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Could one deliver directly to the destination of the cans/bottles ?

I would hope it could be but I doubt there will be any hunger for that unless when people see it being implemented have a go at their local politicians which is unlikely in Ireland, just sit back and get shafted as usual.

I'd agree with you that the general level of awareness of the scheme is low.

The four month transition will give people time to adjust.

They won't be overwhelmed by a big change overnight.

sadly no, unless you mean can one have their recycleables delivered directly to an RVM manchine, that would require a courier or giving them to someone you know who'd be willing to go and visit the RVM on your behalf and recycle them there

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As a person who has a contract with a waste management company (like a considerable number of households) I'd have thought that the best way to get the message about public consultation into something that directly impacted waste management, surely engagement via the waste management company would have made significant sense(assuming the whole thing wasn't a box ticking exercise)

That's said I listen to News talk, a number of podcasts and read a national Sunday paper..it's possible there were adds there but I may have missed them that day/week.

I think the poster means can you deliver directly to the re-turn recycling plant? If that's what they mean I doubt it and even if you could you would lose the deposits.

indeed, thats why i said "sadly no", but then offered another possible alternative

thats a really good idea, if my bin company would have contacted me about this issue i would have found out and considered it greatly, the consulation things. also it would have been in the bin companys best interests as it affects the value of their recycleables the currently recieve

The waste management firms are all against the scheme entirely so this would have been a difficult thing to negotiate. "please tell people about this without telling them what to submit" isn't particularly easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement