Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,742 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ya, I found it a bit strange making such a big deal about the mother and not putting in a downstairs toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Retention! That's the name of the game.

Build it and ask for forgivness>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ah surely there has to be a downstairs bathroom, was it not in plans with the utility room, storage shed etc.

Hopefully they just didn't show it yo us, otherwise its utter madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I totally got why they wanted to stay in the house. stuff like childminding, babysitting etc is sorted. They know all the neighbours, she knows her commute*.

I didn't like the way the house stuck out in front of the other houses, no idea how people get PP for that. They'll all start doing it now.

I liked the garden and the gym solution. They're not gardeners, so it suits them. I grew up for a while on an estate like that and as a child and teenager, you spend a lot of time playing on the green, or in other people's gardens. He'll probably spend a lot of time with his cousins next door playing there which solves another issue as well.

They scaled back on the kitchen from the original plans as well as on the counter top. It was supposed to be granite. I loved the kitchen/garden in the show house, but the bench thing looked uncomfortable.

Overall I liked a lot of it, but I don't think it solved their issues. There's no ensuite for the granny flat area, and the downstairs toilet doesn't look like the minimum size to be converted to a disabled one.

We didn't get a proper walkthrough at the end I fell, but I'll watch it back later.

Thought he was soft at times, especially when he wasn't insistent on the motorbike fitting in his garage, He'll change his tune if it's nicked.

They seemed happy with it, they are obviously happy with his work. There was a bit of a 'Dear Leader' worshiping vibes for Dermot, the bit at the end where the kid runs up and says to Dermot that he loves the house was so planted and scripted it was funny.

Seem to be a nice couple (her sister is a bit of a ride IMO), hope they are happy in it.

*Off topic, but people driving from Santry-Mater (as an example) is the reason why traffic in Dublin is so bad. Could go on a rant but I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

700 k to do up a relatively small semi D in a housing estate…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

They are a lovely couple and obviously adore their child who they had later in life, I think that's part of reason why family and been near them means everything to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There was a bathroom downstairs on the plans. Between the bike shed and stairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mykrodot

on your last point I'd say if you're waiting for your surgeon to turn up and operate on a tumour in your colon you'd prefer if they weren't waiting on Dublin Bus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'd be very surprised if that bike didn't fit into the storage unit. The go kart may need to be put on its side or something.

He also works from home so I'd say it's only a Sunday bike,so taking out the bicycle and go kart each time , wouldn't be a massive pain in the hole.

I do agree with you about traffic but I'd say her hours are long and stressful, last thing you need is relying on public transport which would probably be full to capacity at santry and Drumcondra during rush hours (yeah I know the rest of us mere mortals do it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I'd like to get a better look at the house for sale just down the street. It may have had a bigger site.

I'm sure they could have bought a bigger site house in that same street / adjacent Street over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I can see why they did what they did.

-The loved the area, have a massive green at the front, have relations and cousins nearby.

-They didn't want to move.

-They have plenty money.

-Didnt make a big green garden at the back because of the green area that the son plays with his cousins in at the front.

-Put the "room" down the back of the garden for future use - if thats a room for the kid to bring mates to in their teens or a gym or other reasons. It gives them options and is cheaper put in when building that 5 or 10 years down the line.

-The bikes storage/storage area was practical.

-No idea how they managed to get planing for the font portion of how things turned out - totally ruined the look of the house and unless there's other houses in the vicinity that look the same, defo totally ruins the look of the neighbourhood.

-No mention of SEAI grants althought I thought I spotted the names on the paperwork Bannon was going through with the initial costs on it. Assume there were grants involved just not mentioned around the insulation.

-Think they made a decent job throughout, notwith standing some of the items above without going flashy.

-The price tag is the price tag, they could have saved a bit here and there but tbf from the get go, budget wasn't a priority. I don't personally have an issue with that - two hardworking people in good jobs who just wanted to make their house work for them.

She’s the surgeon. And a typical

Neurodivergent one. She wants it her way simple as that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Was there any reason given why the cost of the garden room and landscaping was not included in the final cost given by the QS?

Seems strange as it looked like the builder built it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was it a proper bathroom or just a WC? You would hope/expect there was at least a shower down there for the mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He made a bit of an unresolved mess of the front.

Inside was a triumph tbh.

They have an Eames chair, most comfortable thing I ever sat in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

In fairness , he’s giving a brief. He delivers in that. If the budget doesn’t stretch then you start cutting back.

the overall design including garden is in his brief. It’s what windows look out on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

-No mention of SEAI grants

Yes, there was, 26k worth of grants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The budget aspect is a load of nonsense, genuinely feels like they only mention the budget at the start for dramatic purposes.

Amount of times 'we haven't a penny more' and then they magically find an extra 20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She works 9-17.30.

She's home every day around 18.15-18.30, they went into that in some detail. She's not being called in to do surgery in the middle of the night after a car accident or stabbing.

From having lived in Swords and Drumcondra, she'd be a lot faster on an e-bike. It's not a dig at her, more about the state of transport in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I find the budget thing a bit of a trope.

The amount of time a client names and budget followed by a wild list of expectations thats clearly never going to come under said budget is insane.

Most comically noticeable this year with the creche owner and teacher turned principal who gasped at the initial cost and said they would have to think about what could change.

Only to then give Dermot and Clare a new list of demands that ADDED another 50k onto the already perilous budget vs. cost figure.

And last week they wanted to chuck in two new skylights that weren't planned or budgeted and again the clients seemed surprised that it would cost money. Dermot would have a much better chance if he stuck with his original plan but theres nearly always some late additions the clients want mid build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The mother's potential bedroom was upstairs, no need for a shower downstairs.

Plus you don't want to be walking into the hall from the shower.

As someone who has spent 5 years of traipsing from the shower, through the kitchen , past the hall door, up the stairs and finally into the bedroom with a towel wrapped around themselves ....nope..... showers as close to the bedroom as possible. Especially when there's a few generations living in the house.

Obviously if you work in a manky job a "boot room shower" might be a requirement but day to day living...as close to the bedroom as possible.

Plus the mother looked as fit as a fiddle...I doubt she'll be joining them anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,685 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You could tell it was mostly for the cameras on this build when the hubby said ‘tell Dermot we will talk about this later’.

Clearly stuff done for the camera, actual budgets discussed off camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

Interesting that the garden and gym room were not included. Those palm trees are expensive for that size a couple of hundred euro a piece.

I thought they were a lovely couple. Good luck to them, they like the neighbours and the area.

The price, I’m still in shock, and I am not paying for it 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That was just a a throwaway comment of you ask me.

On a seperate point, I thought mothers bedroom was downstairs, along with a small lounge off it (to front of house) I am glad both space will be utilised day to day (office + something ) before the mother may need it in X no. of years time (of at all!). I assumed there was a downstairs shower for her. If there is not, on such a remodel, that's an oversight.

Too much time spent on the squabbles/discussions, not a lot on the actual building now. Maybe the former is what most people tune in for.

I wish them well with it. They got what they wanted .... an multigenerational future proofed family home, in the area they want to remain in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

No it was to be potentially downstairs.

In any case I thought anything requiring planning must include a wheelchair accessible downstairs shower and toilet.

Advertisement